it's time to admit

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
Would they alone have fixed this team? I guess Couturier, Voracek, Schenn and Simmonds have all become failures right?

Check the stats. All the players you've mentioned have been invisible this season. Honestly couldn't show you one play they've made this year.

Clown Baby*

Holmgren traded Richards and Carter to sign Bryzgalov.

And then traded Bobrovsky to save money against the cap.

Money that went towards Coburn's raise.

But, he re-signed Read at cost.

iamcanadian23

Jan 2, 2011
Toronto
Have we 'won' any trade of Paul Holmgren's? Are there any free agent acquisitions - beyond Lecavalier - that don't look terrible too?

We have the most overpaid blueline in the league. I'm not sure how this team still prescribes to bigger is better, versus mobility and puck movement on the blueline. The only move that signifies any belief in the latter is Mark Streit - and that is yet another brutal contract handed out by a desperate general manager. But hey, we likely have the tallest group of defensemen in the league - and that may have mattered a decade ago...

Swiper the Fox

Mar 4, 2011
yes........we definitely lost

Homer's gotta go...........he single handedly destroyed this team
can't believe I spent money on gamecenter this year to watch this pathetic team play
i'll still watch .........in disgust and horror but still watch because they are my team but my god...........

get rid of homer
you can only screw up so much..........and I think so much has just arrived
OMG, this team is brutal
big named talent .... big named salaries...... and a whole lot of losing

If I was guarantee xxx MILLION dollar per year, guess I would work hard anymore either
lol

berube is not the guy to get this team going
wonder what iron mike keenan is doing ? ? :sarcasm::handclap::yo:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Carter trade was a hockey trade and it was a good one. Richards was traded for his off-ice issues. I know "no one knows for sure" but I can confidently say that is why he was traded based off of a poster from here.

I'm still fine with both trades.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
This team with Carter/g/Richie > voracek/Simmonds/couturier/cousins. Dare someone to argue otherwise.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Well this ought to be interesting.

Would not making those trades be enough to elevate the current team to Cup contender status? Maybe and maybe not. It's pretty tough to say since we don't know exactly what the rest of the roster would look like. Would the team be better than it is now? Yeah.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I'd personally go back and undo the trades, keep JvR as well and develop Bobrovsky the correct way...

But hindsight is always 20/20.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Watching what Philly and Edmonton have done over the past few years and where they both are right now, I guess you could say that Edmonton and Philly have had polar opposites of general managers.

Edmonton knows better than anyone that young kids go through growth stints. It's frustrating, but it happens. I don't think that you can expect rely on so many young kids without expecting a few hick ups along the way.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Carter trade I do 8 days a week.

Richards one... hmmm, if Schenn becomes a 60point forward and Simmer stays around 40-50 it, the Flyers still win 'on paper' and on the stat sheet, but yeh, we all know that a lot of what Richie had was not on paper.

But there was also a lot of talk about the behind the scenes stuff... I do not want to comment on that. But it seemed strange for a team to trade its captain, on ice leader and best forward after a cup final.

I hated the Richards trade at the time, loved the Carter one... but I came round to the Richie one, and I don't think it can be truly called either way for another 2-3 years really.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The Carter trade I do 8 days a week.

Richards one... hmmm, if Schenn becomes a 60point forward and Simmer stays around 40-50 it does not even matter if Cousins makes the NHL, the Flyers still win 'on paper' and on the stat sheet, but yeh, we all know that a lot of what Richie had was not on paper.

But there was also a lot of talk about the behind the scenes stuff... I do not want to comment on that. But it seemed strange for a team to trade its captain, on ice leader and best forward after a cup final.

I hated the Richards trade at the time, loved the Carter one... but I came round to the Richie one, and I don't think it can be truly called either way for another 2-3 years really.

Remember, the 2nd we got for Richards got us Grossmann too.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
You do know the Richards and Carter team is the one who got swept without any fight in 2011 by the Bruins, don't you? This current team is gutless, but let's not pretend things would be peachy with captain booze and his butt buddy.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I liked both those trades but right now, our guys are under performing but they have shown in the past that they are much better then what they are showing us today.....

They will be fine but I am obviously concerned about our team overall...we have a tremendous amount of talent but we simply
are not clicking......very odd....

And going forward, I really have little confidence in Berube as a major tactician behind the bench.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
You do know the Richards and Carter team is the one who got swept without any fight in 2011 by the Bruins, don't you? This current team is gutless, but let's not pretend things would be peachy with captain booze and his butt buddy.

And the Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup. And your comment about "captain booze and his butt buddy" is entirely pointless. At least you might be satisfied in knowing that it appears that Wayne Simmonds is at least a better fighter than Mike Richards.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Even with Richards and Carter we wouldn't have a Pronger replacement. By the time we would finally have one they're going to be in their thirties.

This team is bad, but let's no act like Schenn and Couturier are done developing. For all the hate that the JVR trade gets people are awfully quick to forget that he didn't break out until his fourth season.

We just have to be patient. Nothing is coming out of this year

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

They weren't the first team to run out of gas after going to the finals the previous year. Also, it probably would have helped if the GM realized after 2010, like everybody else, that they needed a starting goalie that wasn't Michael Leighton.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

I don't really care too much about looking back at these trades but..

Richards 10 points in 14 games.

Carter 9 points in 14 games.

Our line-up is straight disappointing case fricken closed.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Ran out of gas and had no (ready) goalie.

They dumped the heart and soul of a legit contender. As of today, they got zero impact players in return

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad