it's time to admit

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Bolland's certainly solid defensively, but he's not even the best (or second best) defensive center on the Leafs. McClement puts him to shame in that department, and Bozak is just as good in every defensive area as Bolland, but is better on face-offs.

McClement is great, I agree, and better than Bolland, but so far this year Bolland has shared the role with him and done better... I imagine McClement catches up though.

Bozak is a good defensive player... but he has usually had pretty easy minutes and great linemates, I reckon Bolland is better, he has played 3C most of his career.

Bolland was pretty great in the 3C role when he played in Chicago as well... he invariably had the hardest mins among their forwards and always had decent numbers both offensively and defensively to go with them.

Toews should really let Bolland have his Selke a week or so a year... as Bolland was integral in Toews getting it.

09-10, 10-11 and 11-12 he should have been far higher up the Selke voting list IMO, though he did get some votes. He was integral to them beating us in 09-10... I hated seeing him on the ice. And he was also the checking centre last year... so 2 stanley cups as 3C... not bad. (Handzus had a role as well in the playoffs, though not as hard mins, he should still have a few days with it as well! ;p)

But Selke voting is a joke anyway... though Gordan and McClements inclusion highish up last year was nice to see. Datyuk his last one on reputation and Kesler won his on rep as well.

3.4 mill and 3 picks that don't have a great statistical chance of success for Bolland was a pretty nice deal. He is a very underrated player, hope he is well soon.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
once again stop with the points. it's not all about points. this team has no sniper anymore, which is why it's struggling to score goals, shut down G and the team blows. i was ok with the Carter deal at the time cause we had JVR. we had that potential sniper replacement, but then Homer went and traded him. and Richards incredible 2way play is sorely missed. Richards could shut down an opposing teams top lines and get 60+ points while doing it. we have no one even close to that anymore.

it's not just about getting guys who can put up points. you need players to fit certain roles. this team is a mess now. roles aren't clearly defined. Simmonds for example should not be pressured to be one the teams best scorers, when he's a 2nd line grinder. he's a good complimentary player, but when you rely on him to be one of your go-to guys, then you're in big trouble. and Couturier can play well defensively, but when his line is on the ice they have very little chance at scoring.

do not underestimate the importance of having a true goal scorer on your team and a solid 2way player. every successful team has them. but obviously Homer doesn't get it. we had both once and Homer blew it all up. he really scewed up what was once an incredibly deep team.

Points are one of the few solid comparison facts you can use. I'm not going to ignore them. Does the team have a sniper? No...they didn't really have one with JVR either. He's a power forward, not a sniper and one that goes into MASSIVE scoring droughts. Voracek has a killer shot, so does Giroux, so does Schenn. I'm not saying any of these guys are the "sniper" the team needs, but they have scoring ability and + shots, they just don't use them and when they do, they aren't accurate right now.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Points are one of the few solid comparison facts you can use. I'm not going to ignore them. Does the team have a sniper? No...they didn't really have one with JVR either. He's a power forward, not a sniper and one that goes into MASSIVE scoring droughts. Voracek has a killer shot, so does Giroux, so does Schenn. I'm not saying any of these guys are the "sniper" the team needs, but they have scoring ability and + shots, they just don't use them and when they do, they aren't accurate right now.

I've never perceived Voracek to have, nor heard anyone else say, that he has a killer shot. It's certainly nothing like Carter's, and his high shooting percentage from last season looks quite flukish.

And, the points shouldn't be thrown out of the window but you have to account for the Flyers playing one of the most offense friendly systems in the league (under Lavi) and the Kings playing probably one of the least offense friendly.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I've never perceived Voracek to have, nor heard anyone else say, that he has a killer shot. It's certainly nothing like Carter's, and his high shooting percentage from last season looks quite flukish.

And, the points shouldn't be thrown out of the window but you have to account for the Flyers playing one of the most offense friendly systems in the league (under Lavi) and the Kings playing probably one of the least offense friendly.

I've seen Voracek's shot, he can fire it. He just doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->