Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
New manager? Shapiro is the President, GM and manager. Surrounded himself with yes men. Guy is a control freak and is now controlling the game from his office. I will give him credit for bringing in some talent but i just can’t warm up to this mgmt team.

I can understand being frustrated, but how can you blame a management team for in-game tactics?

If the pitch limits were set, it wouldn't have been from Shapiro saying keep Shoemaker in for 2 innings.

I actually love the move of putting Ryu in game 2. If Ryu goes in game 1 and loses, what kind of hope do you think everyone is feeling going into game 2. Knowing you have your ace going into game 2, make it a bit easier.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
cant blame the pitching on this game. need to wake the bats up tomorrow. we faced a great pitcher that pitched great. you don't usually win those games when that happens

tenor.gif

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I can understand being frustrated, but how can you blame a management team for in-game tactics?

If the pitch limits were set, it wouldn't have been from Shapiro saying keep Shoemaker in for 2 innings.

I actually love the move of putting Ryu in game 2. If Ryu goes in game 1 and loses, what kind of hope do you think everyone is feeling going into game 2. Knowing you have your ace going into game 2, make it a bit easier.

All I will say is that I have heard from a good source that Shapiro is one of the worst micro managing bosses out there. He can. He is the boss. But he hired puppets around him not to challenge him. And that’s what they have. A bunch of yes men. Don’t kid yourself. Shapiro might as well sit in the dug out

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well...on the positive side, it looks like the Ryu gambit was a good one. Don't think we were winning tonight even with him on the mound.

Reactions: ACC1224

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
As a casual fan, what upgrades would be needed for next year or pieces would be targeted? Could they go big name hunting? this is just a casual question even if we win the world series.

A top of the rotation pitcher, a good 3B and maybe we take a home run swing and get JT Realmuto.

The good news is we have tons of caproom to get this done, there are quality free agents out there, and likely a lot of teams looking to shed cap and willing to trade some of those assets for $$ relief.

Reactions: jetsforever

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
There is no cap in baseball. Teams paying luxury tax are already rich. LA isn't looking to unload Betts. NY is keeping Cole. Etc.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
All I will say is that I have heard from a good source that Shapiro is one of the worst micro managing bosses out there. He can. He is the boss. But he hired puppets around him not to challenge him. And that’s what they have. A bunch of yes men. Don’t kid yourself. Shapiro might as well sit in the dug out
Or said good source simply doesn’t like him.

Reactions: Mach85 and kb

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Stroman is costing him self millions. Teams are weary of adding players who draw distractions.

It’s to bad because he would be a good mid rotation starter to bring back (in addition to a Bauer type) but with his online personality I’d rather we sign someone else. Give the mid rotation money to Walker, Ray and Shoemaker and maybe we can still find another top end arm to go along with Ryu

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Regardless of whether the decisions made yesterday were a good idea or not, I'm very confused as to why they didn't communicate the play with Shoemaker before the game. He said post game he was surprised to come out after 3, and the discussion from the dugout on the broadcast pretty much confirmed that. How do you not tell your pitcher he's only going 2-3 innings? Not just to get everyone on the same page but he'll probably go more max effort pitching if he knows that in advance.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Regardless of whether the decisions made yesterday were a good idea or not, I'm very confused as to why they didn't communicate the play with Shoemaker before the game. He said post game he was surprised to come out after 3, and the discussion from the dugout on the broadcast pretty much confirmed that. How do you not tell your pitcher he's only going 2-3 innings? Not just to get everyone on the same page but he'll probably go more max effort pitching if he knows that in advance.
Montoyo said the plan was always 2-3 innings and everyone was aware of that.
He said more or less word for word that they were going to take him out after 2 innings, but he was pitching so well they let him have another one.

No doubt in my mind this was pre-planned and Shoemaker thought he should get bonus innings because he was firing on all cylinders.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Stroman is costing him self millions. Teams are weary of adding players who draw distractions.

It’s to bad because he would be a good mid rotation starter to bring back (in addition to a Bauer type) but with his online personality I’d rather we sign someone else. Give the mid rotation money to Walker, Ray and Shoemaker and maybe we can still find another top end arm to go along with Ryu
The real unfortunate is that he’d likely come back as well. He’s clearly a nightmare and with this young core that seems to be super happy it could be a team killer. I feel like he knows deep down now that there is no legit reason to have a chip on his shoulder so he actively seeks one out.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Montoyo said the plan was always 2-3 innings and everyone was aware of that.
He said more or less word for word that they were going to take him out after 2 innings, but he was pitching so well they let him have another one.

No doubt in my mind this was pre-planned and Shoemaker thought he should get bonus innings because he was firing on all cylinders.

Do you have a source for this? I've read everything else you said. But nowhere amongst that did it say everyone was aware. IIRC There's been a couple times this year where they've planned something and not told the players involved which caught them off guard. Which just seems strange.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Do you have a source for this? I've read everything else you said. But nowhere amongst that did it say everyone was aware. IIRC There's been a couple times this year where they've planned something and not told the players involved which caught them off guard. Which just seems strange.
His post game interview. It was the first or second question that was on sportsnet.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Couldn't watch today so hopefully tomorrow is a better result with Ryu
The game was close and pitching for both teams was great, the difference was the Jays offense was weak and I don't know why they waited so long to pinch hit Tellez. They better improve their bats today.

Reactions: jetsforever

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Considering this is literally the exact opposite of everything everyone in baseball has said about Shapiro over the last 20+ years... I'll go ahead and call bullshit on your "good source".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad