Buffalo Bills It's the Off-Season. Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think these signing signal to me that Sweat is not a fit for what the Bills like at 1T DT.

Jones and Johnson are less 2 gap NT like Sweat and more of a single gap attacking 1T DT.
It would certainly be a change in direction - a similar change to where they went with the Torrence pick on the OL last year & that worked out nicely.

I think they would do well to have as many different skill sets / body types as possible, seeing as they like to employ such a heavy rotation on the DL.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It would certainly be a change in direction - a similar change to where they went with the Torrence pick on the OL last year & that worked out nicely.

I think they would do well to have as many different skill sets / body types as possible, seeing as they like to employ such a heavy rotation on the DL.
Part of the Torrence pick was Kromer being back as the OL coach.

I wonder if Marcus West getting promoted has that kind of effect or not.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't mind them drafting upside to an extent. But i completely disagree with the bolded.

I'm repeating - but there is a good chance Diggs is around for the duration of his contract. Even a post June '25 cut would come with a circa 9m dead cap hit (per OTC). I don't see him leaving without very good reason.

You seem to believe that every player is done as soon as they hit 30 - but i simply don't think that's going to be the case with Diggs. He'll be able to do what this team needs of him for the forseeable future. The only question mark is the off-field stuff / his diva attitude, which to be honest i just learned to live with a long time ago & others should just follow suit instead of obsessing about it every offseason.

A team in win-now mode shouldn't be using premium picks solely based on where they think they MIGHT be 3-4 years down the line.

The single thing this WR group lacks is a starting calibre outside/boundary/X guy ideally with +size. That's the exact role Davis filled & that's what they need to look to replace in this year's draft.
Even if he's around, banking on him being the player he has been as he goes into his 30+ seasons is overly optimistic. Look up the list of players have had 1000 yard seasons past the age of 30. It's tiny. Maybe for Diggs it's more of a slight slope down and not falling off a cliff, and he can still bring some production, but counting on a 32 year old receiver (which he will be by the 2025 playoffs) to be your bonafide #1 is asking for a lot. And in fact we already saw a downturn in Diggs production second half of last season. Maybe that was just wear and tear or injuries of scheme. But there's a chance it was age-related.

As for the bolder, I'm fine with the player being a true X with speed and size. When I say the Diggs replacement, I don't mean in style. I mean someone with the skillset to potentially someday be a true #1.

This is a conversation you and I disagree on every year and that's fine. You prefer to primarily look at the top 1-2 picks for more of an immediate impact. I look at them, especially in the first round, as more of long term investments. You're really going to hate it when the first round pick is a corner to replace Douglas a year from now :laugh:

I was going to ask you guys that question about Bowers. I think he should be grouped with the top 3 WRs in terms of talent & wouldn't be surprised if he went to the right team before all those guys were off the board.

I just can't vote for him yet because Kincaid/Knox are so locked in. Never mind 12... You'd need to roll the jumbo set permanently if you added Bowers. :laugh:

Voted JPJ, add Latham again.

I find it weird that Alt/Fashanu got voted so high yet the other top tackles aren't even added yet.
For me it's because those two are special players. I think there's a big gap between them and the next group of tackles

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
With 40% of the vote, Brian Thomas Junior is the winner. Verse gets the add.

New poll: 2024 HF Bills Big Board 9

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State (88%)
2. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU (83%)
3. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington (100%)
4. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame (38%)
4. Dallas Turner, DE, Alabama (38%)
6. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State (40%)
6. Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA (40%)
8. Brian Thomas Junior, WR, LSU (40%)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think these signing signal to me that Sweat is not a fit for what the Bills like at 1T DT.

Jones and Johnson are less 2 gap NT like Sweat and more of a single gap attacking 1T DT.
Or, they are diversifying a bit. A player like Sweat is a clear 2 gap players, but even in a 1-gap scheme, he's a load to move. A player like Sweat could only be asked to account for a sinlge A gap, and that will still require a C and OG to block him, and they may not be able to budge him from that gap. There's value to that - a lot of value.

Having Johnson and Williams around just puts true gap attack players into the rotation. You really don't want a player like Linval Joseph or Sweat on the field on clear passing downs.

Good news. He's a Day 2 vertical threat.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Capture.PNG

If they want a back-up for TJ...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Even if he's around, banking on him being the player he has been as he goes into his 30+ seasons is overly optimistic. Look up the list of players have had 1000 yard seasons past the age of 30. It's tiny. Maybe for Diggs it's more of a slight slope down and not falling off a cliff, and he can still bring some production, but counting on a 32 year old receiver (which he will be by the 2025 playoffs) to be your bonafide #1 is asking for a lot. And in fact we already saw a downturn in Diggs production second half of last season. Maybe that was just wear and tear or injuries of scheme. But there's a chance it was age-related.

As for the bolder, I'm fine with the player being a true X with speed and size. When I say the Diggs replacement, I don't mean in style. I mean someone with the skillset to potentially someday be a true #1.

This is a conversation you and I disagree on every year and that's fine. You prefer to primarily look at the top 1-2 picks for more of an immediate impact. I look at them, especially in the first round, as more of long term investments. You're really going to hate it when the first round pick is a corner to replace Douglas a year from now :laugh:

For me it's because those two are special players. I think there's a big gap between them and the next group of tackles
I think IF they need to rely on anyone to be the stupidly high volume alpha #1 Diggs had been up until last season, it'll be Kincaid. But that gets predictable & other teams key in on it to the point where you need to change play calling / scheme. The reason Diggs' numbers were down last season was obviously for this very reason.

RE draft tackles - i wouldn't be at all surprised if Alt/Fashanu weren't first two off the board. At the very least - the likes of Latham / Fuaga / Mims etc should be in the same conversation.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

View attachment 843117

If they want a back-up for TJ...
If they don’t take a S with their first two picks, I’d love to see them taking a traitsy hybrid player that profiles at slot/safety on day 3. Short term backup at both spots like Cam Lewis. Long term they develop and see what position fits them better. Heck maybe in a couple years TJ transitions to the less physically demanding safety position and this guy takes his spot.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Jets trade for Reddick. That defense will be nasty, but I dont see Rodgers carrying that offense anywhere.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
UFL (merged XFL-USFL league) starting today. Russ Brandon is CEO and Doug Whaley is Senior VP of Pro Personnel for the league.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Jets trade for Reddick. That defense will be nasty, but I dont see Rodgers carrying that offense anywhere.

The Jets are a playoff team....when healthy.

It's a shame nearly every major addition they added (Williams, the LT from Dallas) are either not going to be fully recovered or bound to get injured again. Especially on that Metlife Turf. I think they'll be 9-8 ish. And the normal wear and tear for players. Their schedule isn't even that easy except for playing the Patriots twice...and they absolutely suck against the Patriots.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Draft visit/interview tracker :

QB:
Bo Nix

RB:
Braelon Allen
Audric Estime
Frank Gore Jr

WR:
Keon Coleman
Troy Franklin
Xavier Legette
Jalen McMillan
Adi Mitchell
Brian Thomas Jr
Devontez Walker
Johnny Wilson
Roman Wilson
Xavier Worthy

OL:
Kiran Amegadjie
Graham Barton
Garrett Greenfield
Patrick Paul

EDGE:
Jalyx Hunt
Adisa Isaac
Marshawn Kneeland
Javon Solomon

DL:
Kristian Boyd
Braden Fiske
Byron Murphy

LB:
Curtis Jacobs
Payton Wilson

CB:
MJ Devonshire
Kamari Lassiter

S:
Javon Bullard
Calen Bullock
Cooper DeJean
Kamren Kinchens
Tyler Nubin
Kitan Oladapo

Feel free to add to this if there's anyone I've missed. I always like to run a couple of mocks where I focus on these players they have interviewed / met with.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
With 40% of the vote, Brian Thomas Junior is the winner. Verse gets the add.

New poll: 2024 HF Bills Big Board 9

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State (88%)
2. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU (83%)
3. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington (100%)
4. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame (38%)
4. Dallas Turner, DE, Alabama (38%)
6. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State (40%)
6. Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA (40%)
8. Brian Thomas Junior, WR, LSU (40%)
I'm still voting Bowers - too special a player to pass up.

QB:
Bo Nix

RB:
Braelon Allen
Audric Estime
Frank Gore Jr

WR:
Keon Coleman
Troy Franklin
Xavier Legette
Jalen McMillan
Adi Mitchell
Brian Thomas Jr
Devontez Walker
Johnny Wilson
Roman Wilson
Xavier Worthy

OL:
Kiran Amegadjie
Graham Barton
Garrett Greenfield
Patrick Paul

EDGE:
Jalyx Hunt
Adisa Isaac
Marshawn Kneeland
Javon Solomon

DL:
Kristian Boyd
Braden Fiske
Byron Murphy

LB:
Curtis Jacobs
Payton Wilson

CB:
MJ Devonshire
Kamari Lassiter

S:
Javon Bullard
Calen Bullock
Cooper DeJean
Kamren Kinchens
Tyler Nubin
Kitan Oladapo

Feel free to add to this if there's anyone I've missed. I always like to run a couple of mocks where I focus on these players they have interviewed / met with.
Two observations:

(1) Definitely seems like they want to add a top 60 WR
(2) Appears power back is on their day 3 radar

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

QB:
Bo Nix

RB:
Braelon Allen
Audric Estime
Frank Gore Jr

WR:
Keon Coleman
Troy Franklin
Xavier Legette
Jalen McMillan
Adi Mitchell
Brian Thomas Jr
Devontez Walker
Johnny Wilson
Roman Wilson
Xavier Worthy

OL:
Kiran Amegadjie
Graham Barton
Garrett Greenfield
Patrick Paul

EDGE:
Jalyx Hunt
Adisa Isaac
Marshawn Kneeland
Javon Solomon

DL:
Kristian Boyd
Braden Fiske
Byron Murphy

LB:
Curtis Jacobs
Payton Wilson

CB:
MJ Devonshire
Kamari Lassiter

S:
Javon Bullard
Calen Bullock
Cooper DeJean
Kamren Kinchens
Tyler Nubin
Kitan Oladapo

Why Nix?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm still voting Bowers - too special a player to pass up.

Two observations:

(1) Definitely seems like they want to add a top 60 WR
(2) Appears power back is on their day 3 radar
I think there are a few guys on that list who would be a bit of a reach at 60, but who you could trade up to get late day 2 & call it a great pick.

It does seem like they're rightly targeting outside players. The only notable name not on the list is Jalynn Polk.

Also a lot of safeties on the list which is good to see as well.

I also think that Allen/Estime will go higher than some expect. If your using a day 3 pick on one of them it likely needs to be a very early one.

They must like him as a traitsy day 3 option if he doesn't go in that second tier.
I thought seeing Nix there vas strange as well. I know they drafted Jake Fromm a few years ago - wasted pick - but surely there's no way Nix falls that far? Some even have him as a late R1 pick to a QB needy team.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I think there are a few guys on that list who would be a bit of a reach at 60, but who you could trade up to get late day 2 & call it a great pick.

It does seem like they're rightly targeting outside players. The only notable name not on the list is Jalynn Polk.

Also a lot of safeties on the list which is good to see as well.

I also think that Allen/Estime will go higher than some expect. If your using a day 3 pick on one of them it likely needs to be a very early one.

I thought seeing Nix there vas strange as well. I know they drafted Jake Fromm a few years ago - wasted pick - but surely there's no way Nix falls that far? Some even have him as a late R1 pick to a QB needy team.
I wouldn't say Fromm is a wasted pick. I am all for the idea of taking a developmental QB late and hoping you can get:
- cheap back up production
- a guy who could step in and win if "it" ever happened
- when the deal is up getting a compensatory pick or a better pick if a team trades for them

He didn't work out and they seemed to shy away so maybe they don't see it my way

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I wouldn't say Fromm is a wasted pick. I am all for the idea of taking a developmental QB late and hoping you can get:
- cheap back up production
- a guy who could step in and win if "it" ever happened
- when the deal is up getting a compensatory pick or a better pick if a team trades for them

He didn't work out and they seemed to shy away so maybe they don't see it my way
Oh i totally agree with this strategy - i just thought Fromm was a bad choice from the get go.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Rashee Rice has found himself in some trouble.

I'm sure he'll get outta it

Eeeeeh. Video of him walking away from an accident. Video of a car he owns reckless driving. People hurt.

Even if drinking/drugs aren't involved, that's a felony. The best hope there is would be if he wasn't driving. But him fleeing the scene isn't good news.

Reactions: Chaos2k7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad