Buffalo Bills It's the Off-Season. Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Not really. Especially when you consider what they have lost at the position in recent years (namely Hill).

The offseason they lost Hill, they used 2 x R1 picks on defensive players.

Again this goes back to DJs post above where he referenced KC/Kelce post Hill & what could happen with the Bills' offence - as we seem to be following their blueprint at least to some degree.
If we’re following KC’s lead, pencil in Xavier Leggett or Malachi Corley. Need a YAC guy

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Doesn’t KC draft WRs pretty high and fairly often?
Apparently three second round picks in five years on Wr isn’t “too often” for some people

I can’t imagine what they describe Beane’s inaction as. Non-existent would be the correct term. Costly would be another.

Funniest take so far though is that they shouldn’t take a WR because they need someone who can contribute right away. That one QB pressure a month in a heavy rotation for another dart throw at DE obviously helping us every year so much while the outside receivers can’t f***ing do anything.

I know people can’t help but position themselves against the grain. There are still holdouts on Granato and Adams work around here. But when the arguments get as bad faith as 3 in 5 years isn’t too often and rookie WRs don’t contribute…good lord.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Apparently three second round picks in five years on Wr isn’t “too often” for some people

I can’t imagine what they describe Beane’s inaction as. Non-existent would be the correct term. Costly would be another.

Funniest take so far though is that they shouldn’t take a WR because they need someone who can contribute right away. That one QB pressure a month in a heavy rotation for another dart throw at DE obviously helping us every year so much while the outside receivers can’t f***ing do anything.

I know people can’t help but position themselves against the grain. There are still holdouts on Granato and Adams work around here. But when the arguments get as bad faith as 3 in 5 years isn’t too often and rookie WRs don’t contribute…good lord.
Beane has used an interesting blend of draft capital on WRs and TEs since becoming the Bills GM.

He traded up to get Kincaid in the first round last year spending multiple picks to get the pass-catching TE. He also spent 2 of his first 4 picks on TE & WR.

In 2022 (5th rd) and 2021 (6th rd) he used day 3 picks at WR.

But, that was a year after he spent a lot of draft capital at the position. In 2020, he gave up multiple picks, including his 1st, to trade for Diggs. He also used his 3rd pick (4th round) of the draft on a WR and took another one in the 6th round.

And going way back, McD's second pick as the Bills coach, and only 10 spots after the Tre White pick, was on a WR: Zay Jones.

The challenge really is that it is a hindsight is 20/20 game. It would have been great if they took Christian Watson instead of trading up for Elam in 2022 or taken Amon-Ra St. Brown instead of Boogie Basham in 2021. But few were having those discussions at those points in the draft.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Unless Beane takes a fast outside receiver in round 1, I don't see your opinion changing.

Beane could take Devontez Walker and Brendan Rice at 60 and 128, two players who fit the outside receiver mold, and you'd still not be happy, despite your comment about KC.

Any time a team goes "xxx position or bust," it usually ends up bust. Remember the "we need a CB" discussions prior to the Elam draft? Well, we got our CB.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Corley has been a slot heavy guy in college who has a really limited route tree. I would be surprised if the Bills invested in another guy that is of that mold.

Yeah, if we're using a R1 or R2 pick on a guy, I can't imagine it's a slot-heavy/only guy. I could see a guy that could be an X or a slot (Beane loves versatility).....but I can't see a slot-only guy.

Which is why I don't think we're in on Worthy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, if we're using a R1 or R2 pick on a guy, I can't imagine it's a slot-heavy/only guy. I could see a guy that could be an X or a slot (Beane loves versatility).....but I can't see a slot-only guy.

Which is why I don't think we're in on Worthy.
Capture.PNG

Last year, Worthy was 60/40 toward wide snaps. So, I don't know if he is a slot-heavy guy.

Corley was definitely a slot-heavy guy, though.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Looks like maybe an inside/outside depth piece?
He's played mostly DT I think? But I'm not real familiar with him.

Beane is looking into the bin for bargains at this point. I wonder if he can sign a veteran to a short contract post-draft? Like a Floyd signing.

Justin Simmons S
Julian Blackmon S
OBJ WR
Bud Dupree Edge
Chris Hubbard OT
Kyle Van Noy Edge
Steven Nelson CB
Xavien Howard CB
Byron Pringle KR
Levi Wallace CB

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Another tie! Fashanu and Latu both get 40% of the vote. Dejean the add.

New poll: 2024 HF Bills Big Board 8

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State (88%)
2. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU (83%)
3. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington (100%)
4. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame (38%)
4. Dallas Turner, DE, Alabama (38%)
6. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State (40%)
6. Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA (40%)
I voted Brock Bowers. Yeah, it's anything but a need. But at some point you can't pass up special players and he's special. I'd take him and permanently role with a 12 personnel offense. Add Verse.

Note: Not many votes, so I'm probably going to keep this open until tomorrow.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He's played mostly DT I think? But I'm not real familiar with him.

Beane is looking into the bin for bargains at this point. I wonder if he can sign a veteran to a short contract post-draft? Like a Floyd signing.

Justin Simmons S
Julian Blackmon S
OBJ WR
Bud Dupree Edge
Chris Hubbard OT
Kyle Van Noy Edge
Steven Nelson CB
Xavien Howard CB
Byron Pringle KR
Levi Wallace CB
Simmons would be a great get, but it'd be a short-term move. Im really intrigued with the idea of Blackmon in this system. Would he compliment Edwards well?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Whoever the Bills draft at WR, I hope it's an upside play. The pick should be geared towards replacing Diggs long term, not replacing Davis short term.
I don't mind them drafting upside to an extent. But i completely disagree with the bolded.

I'm repeating - but there is a good chance Diggs is around for the duration of his contract. Even a post June '25 cut would come with a circa 9m dead cap hit (per OTC). I don't see him leaving without very good reason.

You seem to believe that every player is done as soon as they hit 30 - but i simply don't think that's going to be the case with Diggs. He'll be able to do what this team needs of him for the forseeable future. The only question mark is the off-field stuff / his diva attitude, which to be honest i just learned to live with a long time ago & others should just follow suit instead of obsessing about it every offseason.

A team in win-now mode shouldn't be using premium picks solely based on where they think they MIGHT be 3-4 years down the line.

The single thing this WR group lacks is a starting calibre outside/boundary/X guy ideally with +size. That's the exact role Davis filled & that's what they need to look to replace in this year's draft.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Simmons would be a great get, but it'd be a short-term move. Im really intrigued with the idea of Blackmon in this system. Would he compliment Edwards well?
Blackmon visited before Edwards but no deal ever seemed close. I'd have preferred Blackmon over Edwards but definitely see that as an either/or situation in the 'free' safety role.

I don't know why so many of you guys are automatically assuming Edwards is a locked in starter...

If they add another safety either via FA or draft, Rapp surely has the inside track over Edwards to start.

Rapp has a year's experience playing with the team & was signed to a 3 year / 10.6 m contract.

Edwards was a backup on KC last year until Bryan Cook got hurt & was signed to a 1 year / 2.8 m contract.

Not to mention that Rapp is likely better suited to the 'strong' role than any of these other guys.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I voted Brock Bowers. Yeah, it's anything but a need. But at some point you can't pass up special players and he's special. I'd take him and permanently role with a 12 personnel offense. Add Verse.

Note: Not many votes, so I'm probably going to keep this open until tomorrow.
I was going to ask you guys that question about Bowers. I think he should be grouped with the top 3 WRs in terms of talent & wouldn't be surprised if he went to the right team before all those guys were off the board.

I just can't vote for him yet because Kincaid/Knox are so locked in. Never mind 12... You'd need to roll the jumbo set permanently if you added Bowers. :laugh:

Voted JPJ, add Latham again.

I find it weird that Alt/Fashanu got voted so high yet the other top tackles aren't even added yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Husko

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don't mind them drafting upside to an extent. But i completely disagree with the bolded.

I'm repeating - but there is a good chance Diggs is around for the duration of his contract. Even a post June '25 cut would come with a circa 9m dead cap hit (per OTC). I don't see him leaving without very good reason.

You seem to believe that every player is done as soon as they hit 30 - but i simply don't think that's going to be the case with Diggs. He'll be able to do what this team needs of him for the forseeable future. The only question mark is the off-field stuff / his diva attitude, which to be honest i just learned to live with a long time ago & others should just follow suit instead of obsessing about it every offseason.

A team in win-now mode shouldn't be using premium picks solely based on where they think they MIGHT be 3-4 years down the line.

The single thing this WR group lacks is a starting calibre outside/boundary/X guy ideally with +size. That's the exact role Davis filled & that's what they need to look to replace in this year's draft.
9M dead cap and 18M savings. Is Diggs worth more to this team in 2025 than 18M in cap space? Not so sure. A lot will depend on how he performs this season, but I think it’s pretty doubtful he plays the remainder of his contract.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
9M dead cap and 18M savings. Is Diggs worth more to this team in 2025 than 18M in cap space? Not so sure. A lot will depend on how he performs this season, but I think it’s pretty doubtful he plays the remainder of his contract.
18m net is fine for what i expect Diggs to be (a legitimate WR1 who can be used in different ways, but who won't be force fed the ball as much as he might want).

The last two Bills DT signings have messed with people because they both played 3-4 DE last season.

My guess is that Williams is used as Ed Oliver's primary backup at 3T and Johnson is used as DaQuan Jones's primary backup at 1T.

I wouldn't put too much stock into these signings affecting the draft board as they're both relatively minor depth pieces. But it does make me think a guy like Sweat would make more sense than a Orohoho/Fiske type if they're looking at DT with one of the earlier picks...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't put too much stock into these signings affecting the draft board as they're both relatively minor depth pieces. But it does make me think a guy like Sweat would make more sense than a Orohoho/Fiske type if they're looking at DT with one of the earlier picks...
I think these signing signal to me that Sweat is not a fit for what the Bills like at 1T DT.

Jones and Johnson are less 2 gap NT like Sweat and more of a single gap attacking 1T DT.

Reactions: Digable5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad