GDT: It's the Late, Late Show with your host, the New Jersey Devils! ft. LA Kings 10:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know that. But Larsson has shown he can play a solid defensive game.

Pair Larsson with whatever other D you trust the most between Moore and Schlemko. Then put Greene-Severson together and just cycle those two pairings out against the other teams top line.

Spitting them up is a camp next year move.

Not happening now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Crazy to think but aren't we 8-2 in the last 10 in LA?

Might be.

We have won 4 in a row there in the regular season. Lost in the MacLean season there, but might have won all of the other ones out there since the 05 lockout.

I don't remember too many of our games out there pre 04-05 lockout.

I vaguely remember Ziggy Palffy beating us in OT on a slapshot that looked like Paul Kariya's ''off the floor, on the board'' goal in game 6 of the 03 finals. Back when he played for the Kings.

Might have been the 02-03 season.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Because they are the coaches and that is why we need to trust in what they do or see. Sev will get his time.

I know. I'm not saying it in a negative way toward the staff.

It's just a bit frustrating because Greene has shown to be such a reliable parter for our young defenders and Severson clearly needs that right now. Larsson has shown enough to seem like he can play well away from Greene.

They just keep giving Severson partners like Merrill, Moore, and Helgeson who all make those little, repetitious mistakes in the defensive zone that make it tough to defend. Schlemko has some veteran wisdom to him so he gets his partner out of trouble but Severson is still young. I think Larsson has shown enough to be able to fix the mistakes of his partner by this point.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
this….also looked large when doing so without just butter****ing the position

That's what I've always liked about his game. He's not always going into the butterfly and I appreciate that. I'm just glad he's gotten into a groove here. I thought he showed a lot of promise last season and when he's playing well, he's making saves with a purpose, not to just stop the shot. I think there were a couple times tonight when he used his blocker to redirect pucks away from the crease or send the Devils out of the defensive zone. Marty spoiled us with those small plays for two decades.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Might be.

We have won 4 in a row there in the regular season. Lost in the MacLean season there, but might have won all of the other ones out there since the 05 lockout.

I vaguely remember Ziggy Palffy beating us in OT on a slapshot that looked like Paul Kariya's ''off the floor, on the board'' goal in game 6 of the 03 finals. Back when he played for the Kings.

oh man, my brother was the biggest palffy (and demitra) fan…..makes sense as a blues and kings fan i guess

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hate to dwell on the missed breakaways by Rico, but, in OT he should have gone roofjob backhand.

He fell and got off a lame attempt.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
oh man, my brother was the biggest palffy (and demitra) fan…..makes sense as a blues and kings fan i guess

I remember seeing a couple years ago that Palffy was still an active player overseas, but he hasn't played in the NHL since the first year after the 04-05 lockout.

Petr Nedved is another guy that was still playing two years ago and I don't even remember the last time he was in the league. Seems like 15 years ago. I always associate him with those early 00's Rangers teams.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
That's what I've always liked about his game. He's not always going into the butterfly and I appreciate that. I'm just glad he's gotten into a groove here. I thought he showed a lot of promise last season and when he's playing well, he's making saves with a purpose, not to just stop the shot. I think there were a couple times tonight when he used his blocker to redirect pucks away from the crease or send the Devils out of the defensive zone. Marty spoiled us with those small plays for two decades.

ya, there were a couple of kick out pad saves tonight that went in the high slot that didnt seem like they were on purpose.

but the puck stayed out of the net.

i just want him to keep the confidence high. its a massive thing for any athlete and even more so for someone in a specialized position as a goalie

ive said this many times here….feeling good about one's game is bigger than people think

its real

edit: thats why guys like caron exist….even marty preached the great things he did for him…..glad kinkaid sees this and gets 'advice'

Last edited:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Might be.

I think they touched on it last broadcast going into this game.

As far as the rest I have no idea how you remember the most random **** from years ago. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think they touched on it last broadcast going into this game.

As far as the rest I have no idea how you remember the most random **** from years ago. :laugh:

I've actually forgotten more stuff than I'd like to in the last few years.

But the Palffy OT winner was literally the only pre 2006 game between the Devils and Kings that I can even think of without trying too hard.

We beat them in a shootout in 06-07, it must have been Kopitar's rookie year. I'm pretty sure we won the shootout, but Kopitar scored on Marty and later referenced how he remembered it on that OT winner in the finals in 2012.

I don't remember if it was the same move or not.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
BOS/CBJ/NYI have a combination of size, tenacity, and speed that gives us trouble. The Islanders and Blue Jackets forwards drive to the net and go to the dirty areas and our defenders have never been able to answer it. We've always either been too soft, too slow, or both. Watch in the next game against NYI or CBJ how much traffic they have on every shot.

Yeah, but these are fundamentals. It's a little troubling we can't defend against the most basic gameplan in the history of hockey. "Big guys crashing the net" isn't a rare tactic, and the fact we suck against it kinda worries me. Not for this year, but for the future of course.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
he's like an elephant, never forgets.

more likely rain man

Not as bad as a woman, that's impossible, but yes more likely Rainman. :laugh: Sorry Bleed haha.

Here's a really random fact that I didn't even initially remember, but it's only going back this year haha. Steve said that all of Moore's OT winners this year have been on Saturday night's.

So after he said that, I couldn't remember if Moore had one or two non OT winning goals this season. But I did remember at least one, which was against the Islanders and also on a Saturday. It turns out that was his only non OT winning goal this year.

So every goal John Moore has scored this season has been on a Saturday.:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lol at Steve and dano saying "devils are still alive in the race". Just stop. That sure was an entertaining game to stay up late for though

They'd practically have to sweep every game through the Columbus home and home before I'll take this 'push' seriously again. It'll basically take that to get back in the race.

This team is just so impossible to figure out. Look pathetic and hopeless three straight games at home then win two in a row on the road against the West goliaths.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Moore carried that puck with extreme prejudice. I know he sucks at defense, but keep him around for the offense.

That might be the dirty little secret of why he gets infinite rope...he's really the only defenseman that CAN do that kind of a play at the moment or at least the only one that can actually score on it, well maybe Schlemko too.

And if they do somehow streak back into the race Severson ain't getting back in the lineup anytime soon :P

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

This team is well coached.

John Moore is a really, really good 3-on-3 player.

When Kinkaid has confidence, he can definitely perform.

Adam Larsson is fantastic.

The PK was very, very good tonight.

It's very nice to see how tough this team plays despite the lineup. They can't be faulted for their work ethic, that's for sure and that's a testament to Hynes in my opinion.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
he's like an elephant, never forgets.

more likely rain man

Not as bad as a woman, that's impossible, but yes more likely Rainman. :laugh: Sorry Bleed haha.

Here's a really random fact that I didn't even initially remember, but it's only going back this year haha. Steve said that all of Moore's OT winners this year have been on Saturday night's.

So after he said that, I couldn't remember if Moore had one or two non OT winning goals this season. But I did remember at least one, which was against the Islanders and also on a Saturday. It turns out that was his only non OT winning goal this year.

So every goal John Moore has scored this season has been on a Saturday.:laugh:

Just change your name now Bleed

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Problem with the team is obviously that I watch it, because the last two games I didn't watch due to the unholy hour it was played, we won. I must make the team nervous when I watch from my sofa. :P

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
This California trip would've been so awesome if we hadn't been so terrible before it and basically eliminated any chance of making the playoffs. Such a shame this team is so bi-polar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad