Blue Jays Discussion: It's the "Get it Done" league, and Chris Colabello gets it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
DJ Davis isn't toast yet. 4 for 5 today with a grand slam and two doubles. Strikeouts still high but improving, walk rate up, hitting in general up from last season. Still a long way to go, but he's still only 20 and young for the Midwest League.

People still mistake that pick. A big part of that selection was the fact that Davis was an under-slot signee who would allow us to get much more creative later in the draft. The plan that year was always to take the super young under-slot upside pick (Davis) with one of our first round picks, and a guy like Giolito/Stroman with the other pick. It was a fine strategy and worthwhile risk on Davis given how many top picks we had that year.

Yep. Getting him underslot and punting rounds 5-10 allowed the Jays to sign Smoral, Nay, DeJong, Alford, and catch a faller in Borucki.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
How'd you land on Shumpert? Literally no one has him in that range LOL. He looks like a ~3rd round talent.

Athletic, strong build, tremendous bat speed, 5 tool potential. Advanced defensively. If the arm continues to improve, he's a lock to stick at short.

He's got Clint Frazier hand speed, and Nick Gordon touch and range.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
DJ Davis isn't toast yet. 4 for 5 today with a grand slam and two doubles. Strikeouts still high but improving, walk rate up, hitting in general up from last season. Still a long way to go, but he's still only 20 and young for the Midwest League.

He's having a really good season, and I wouldn't even say a 21% walk rate is "high". It's about league average for the Midwest League. That, plus the BB% going back up and a 119 wRC+ before today's huge game... it's great progress over last year's disaster, even if it is his second year at the level.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Athletic, strong build, tremendous bat speed, 5 tool potential. Advanced defensively. If the arm continues to improve, he's a lock to stick at short.

I think you're overrating his tools quite a bit, but you're allowed to have whatever opinion you choose.

The player you described should be a lock to go in the first round, especially the son of a former big leaguer. I haven't seen anyone mention Shumpert as a first round pick, which strongly suggests that MLB teams certainly don't see Clint Frazier bat speed combined with Nick Gordon touch and range lol. The more realistic description I've seen of him is a toolsy kid who sells out to hit for power way too much and thus may never actually end up hitting well enough for his offensive tools to come into play. There is also indication that he won't be able to play SS at the next level.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

June is draft month one of my favorite times of the year, how about the Raps at 20 and the Leafs at 4 and 24, your input would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I think you're overrating his tools quite a bit, but you're allowed to have whatever opinion you choose.

The player you described should be a lock to go in the first round, especially the son of a former big leaguer. I haven't seen anyone mention Shumpert as a first round pick, which strongly suggests that MLB teams certainly don't see Clint Frazier bat speed combined with Nick Gordon touch and range lol. The more realistic description I've seen of him is a toolsy kid who sells out to hit for power way too much and thus may never actually end up hitting well enough for his offensive tools to come into play. There is also indication that he won't be able to play SS at the next level.

I like him. Have him as the fifth best prep school player on my list. Believe I can sign him well under slot, and save about $1M to reallocate to 56, 91, 122, 152 and 182 where other teams will be punting. That's where I'd attack tough signs in this particular draft. Wouldn't mind waiting until 56, but then I'd have less to reallocate, especially if I take someone who's going to require full slot at 29.

However, that was before I read your posts and your compelling use of the acronym "lol". You've coerced me to change my opinion to match yours. I now want whom you want at 29. I have seen the error of my ways, and have been converted. I thank you.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
He's having a really good season, and I wouldn't even say a 21% walk rate is "high". It's about league average for the Midwest League. That, plus the BB% going back up and a 119 wRC+ before today's huge game... it's great progress over last year's disaster, even if it is his second year at the level.

Agreed here. I think if he didnt have the 1st Rd ahead of Stro label attached to him there would be way more love. As was pointed out he's still young for the league and if you look at how Pompey jumped 3 levels in a year last year, DJD could be poised to make the same type of progression next year where he'd be the same age as 2014 Pompey

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

People still mistake that pick. A big part of that selection was the fact that Davis was an under-slot signee who would allow us to get much more creative later in the draft. The plan that year was always to take the super young under-slot upside pick (Davis) with one of our first round picks, and a guy like Giolito/Stroman with the other pick. It was a fine strategy and worthwhile risk on Davis given how many top picks we had that year.

That is good to hear - he was looking pretty bad before this season. I haven't followed his progress much this year (too much disgust), so I hope he's starting to turn the corner.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I find it really difficult to put any faith in DJ Davis after last season and while its nice that he is doing much better in his second stint in Lansing, I'll wait to see what he does at a level which he is not repeating.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

the blue jays continue to prize athletic, strike-throwing starting pitchers with plus fastballs, and the more of them they can add the better. Some will get injured, others will never reach their potential and the remaining arms will either help the big-league team or be traded.

This year the blue jays could end up taking a high school right-hander such as mike nikorak, ashe russell or donny everett, according to mlb.com draft expert jim callis. While the blue jays have had more success drafting pitchers than position players in recent years, they’re not going to be locked in on any one position or experience level ahead of monday’s 29th overall pick.

“especially early in the draft it’s so important not to eliminate one group of players,†parker says.

The blue jays want two-way position players capable of making an impact on offence and defence, so if the right player falls to them they’ll be ready even after taking pitching with their first pick in four of the five drafts overseen by anthopoulos.

“i would do the same thing they do,†callis says. “i would try to maximize the talent at the top of the draft and then if i get to that fourth round and you have to go cheap at that point, then you go cheap and take some discounts in later rounds. I think that makes the most sense. You win with stars.â€

the blue jays hope to come one step closer to landing one or two of those monday night. And while predicting the draft is basically impossible, history suggests there’s a good chance toronto ends up investing in more pitching.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Funny thing I was thinking about is that ioer the last few drafts I can't remember a first day pick that we've been criticized for except for Stroman. I remember the last 2-3 drafts we've been praised heavily post day one for our top picks and then the guys weve landed as fallers in the comp and Rd 2.

Stroman was low upside guy who could help in relief and we left too much on talent on the board. I think we were criticized for reaching on Bickford by some writers too, but sounded like AA had no intention of signing him to begin with. (I see you Max Pentecost)

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I am looking forward to seeing what we do. I have noticed that under Parker we have shifted away from pure tools and have been going more and more after guys who are already performing and have some tools to still grow into (Stroman, Pentecost and Hoffman) AA never seemed to like college guys until Tinnish was promoted out of the scouting director role.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Funny thing I was thinking about is that ioer the last few drafts I can't remember a first day pick that we've been criticized for except for Stroman. I remember the last 2-3 drafts we've been praised heavily post day one for our top picks and then the guys weve landed as fallers in the comp and Rd 2.

Stroman was low upside guy who could help in relief and we left too much on talent on the board. I think we were criticized for reaching on Bickford by some writers too, but sounded like AA had no intention of signing him to begin with. (I see you Max Pentecost)

I don't remember the Jays being criticized for taking Stroman. If anything a lot of people were shocked that he fell to them.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I am looking forward to seeing what we do. I have noticed that under Parker we have shifted away from pure tools and have been going more and more after guys who are already performing and have some tools to still grow into (Stroman, Pentecost and Hoffman) AA never seemed to like college guys until Tinnish was promoted out of the scouting director role.

I don't think you can read too much into that. Hoffman would have went #1 overall had he not been injured, his upside and stuff was too good to pass up for a team who covets elite arm talent. Stroman never should have been available to us either, he was another guy who was a Top 10 talent based off stuff and performance but fell because of over-analysis about his height. Pentecost? Above average overall skillset at a premium position (catcher), and likely the BPA at the spot he was drafted.

The only thing that those three picks show is that they won't look past College talent that is too good to pass up (Hoffman, Stroman) or College talent that presents legitimate above average two-way play at the MLB level (Pentecost).

In other words, it is going to take the right guy being available for us to take a College kid. They still overall avoid College pitching with top picks for instance.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
forgive me for being skeptical when there are currently 7 Royals poised to start.

What does that have to do with Mike Moustakas and his deservedness based on the year he is having?

No doubt. Wasn't intended to shun what he's done. Just think he's been better. Much better.

Fair enough. I read your post as something like, "How dare Mike Moustakas and his averageness be beating out a truely deserving player!"

But yeah, I would vote Donaldson. Both are deserving, though.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
forgive me for being skeptical when there are currently 7 Royals poised to start.

Ugh, when Omar Infante is slated to start you know there's a problem. If this holds, they'll have to do something about the fan voting process. #thisiswhywecan'thavenicethings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad