Blue Jays Discussion: It's the "Get it Done" league, and Chris Colabello gets it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There are some serious concerns with Aiken, so I don't think it would be all that shocking to see him fall into the 20's. Especially, as others have brought up, he may decide not to sign and try to build up his stock again to potentially be worth more cash. Still though, wouldn't he be extremely hard to pass up on at 29?

If I'm not mistaken though, with a team like the Brewers having 3 picks in the top 60 or so, I'm not sure I see them passing up on him with their top pick.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
MLB.com's prospect/draft guru Jim Callis will be on the Fan 590 at 10:40 this morning to talk Blue Jays and draft with Jeff Blair.

Edit: Speculation, but Callis has us eyeing a high school arm. Named guys like Ashe Russell, Donny Everett and Kolby Allard as names who could still be on the board at 29.

Last edited:

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
With the lower budget we have this year, I can see AA having a deal at 29 for someone ranked closer to 45, that way they can maximize the draft pool on fallers later on. Save ~$500-750k and put it towards another 1 or 2 prospects at 56 & 91...

I don't see him taking a risk on Aiken or Matuella if they fall, especially at 29, because we need that slot signed, otherwise it really hinders our pool.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Did I hear right that Vernon is out draft representative? Cool stuff. I'm sure he's trying to work his way into the organization some how.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If Ashe Russell and/or Brady Aiken (injury concerns, I know) are there at 29, do we pick one? Or do we go with one of the position players that have been rumored to us?

Even Nikorak, Allard, Matuella or Funkhouser. I know there are concerns with a lot of the high upside pitching prospects this year, but I'd still rather us go for a pitcher at 29.

I will definitely be watching tonight. 7pm on MLB Network's website.

In an interview with the jays staffer that's heading the draft. Can't remember his name ATM. He said their going best player available so injury history may not factor in if they think he's the best option

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I've noticed a bunch of mocks listing Naylor as an OF. Isn't that a bit generous considering his physique not to mention he seems to slot in at 1st.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Most places are not projecting Aiken as a first round pick. I'd be surprised if the Jays took him at 29.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Most places are not projecting Aiken as a first round pick.

Wrong. He's now seen as highly unlikely to last past the Dodgers at #24. The recent reports on his elbow suggest that the situation is a lot less worrisome than initially reported. He is highly unlikely to still be on the board for us at #29.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Wrong. He's now seen as highly unlikely to last past the Dodgers at #24. The recent reports on his elbow suggest that the situation is a lot less worrisome than initially reported. He is highly unlikely to still be on the board for us at #29.

Well, all the sources I've read don't have him in the first.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
DJ Davis just came to the plate in the 6th in Lansing a triple shy of the cycle and he doubled. he has a grand slam, single, 3 run double, and RBI double for 8 RBI's today, and we're not through 6 yet

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

Such as?

Most places I've seen has him going to the Dodgers at worst. Kiley posted his last mock draft just now and he has him going to the Pirates at 19. Extremely unlikely he could fall to the Jays and I'm not sure Jays could sign him if he did.

I am hoping the Jays target hitters in the early round. The system simply is so bare thin in bats that the Jays should draft a bunch of them and hope some of them work out.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

I've seen Mocks that have Aiken anywhere from 20-40. The MRI results were made available to teams and again I've seen reports that say it's less worrisome and also some that say his elbow is still a concern.

Judging by the way it affected Hoffman I'd say the chances are Aiken falls out of rd 1, but not by much. There's two sides to the coin with Aiken but I wouldn't be surprised if we take him if he's available.

My gut tells me we're going to go HS arm as usual. Never a bad strategy

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

19th overall in Kiley McDaniel's final mock that was just posted.
24th overall in John Manuel's (BA) mock that was posted earlier today.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
DJ Davis just came to the plate in the 6th in Lansing a triple shy of the cycle and he doubled. he has a grand slam, single, 3 run double, and RBI double for 8 RBI's today, and we're not through 6 yet

So does this mean his lazy that he refused to attempt to stretch the last double into a triple lol. Hell of a game for him

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I've noticed a bunch of mocks listing Naylor as an OF. Isn't that a bit generous considering his physique not to mention he seems to slot in at 1st.

I've read reports that he has a strong arm, but yeah bad body = 1B. Lefty bat with #1 batted ball exit velocity... plus bat speed, plus power. He'd be a good bat to get into the system if he is still on the board.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Keith Law, bleacher report, and one posted on MLB.com all had Aiken out of the first round. Looks like from what you guys are reporting that other sources see it differently. I guess we'll see where he goes, but he's certainly not a lock for either possibility.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I've read reports that he has a strong arm, but yeah bad body = 1B. Lefty bat with #1 batted ball exit velocity... plus bat speed, plus power. He'd be a good bat to get into the system if he is still on the board.

I'm selfishly hoping we pick Naylor purely because the hype train would be amazing. Not sure he's BPA, I've seen mock drafts that have him going in the 20 range down to the 50's. I'm not totally on board with AAs "toolsy" mantra for position players. I find that you often end up with a fast guy who's not much good at anything in particular. Sometimes you just gotta fall in love with the single tool and make the guy serviceable at everything else... Aka find him a position...
Which is the case for Naylor.

On the other side of things whatever pitcher we go with I'll be happy. Track record for AA is solid, and contrarily i love the pitching strategy... Power arm with plus fastball velo and command... Let the off speed develop once they're in our system.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I'm selfishly hoping we pick Naylor purely because the hype train would be amazing. Not sure he's BPA, I've seen mock drafts that have him going in the 20 range down to the 50's. I'm not totally on board with AAs "toolsy" mantra for position players. I find that you often end up with a fast guy who's not much good at anything in particular. Sometimes you just gotta fall in love with the single tool and make the guy serviceable at everything else... Aka find him a position...

On the other side of things whatever pitcher we go with I'll be happy. Track record for AA is solid, and contrarily i love the pitching strategy... Power arm with plus fastball velo and command... Let the off speed develop once they're in our system.
*Cough* DJ Davis :naughty:

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
*Cough* DJ Davis :naughty:

DJ Davis isn't toast yet. 4 for 5 today with a grand slam and two doubles. Strikeouts still high but improving, walk rate up, hitting in general up from last season. Still a long way to go, but he's still only 20 and young for the Midwest League.

People still mistake that pick. A big part of that selection was the fact that Davis was an under-slot signee who would allow us to get much more creative later in the draft. The plan that year was always to take the super young under-slot upside pick (Davis) with one of our first round picks, and a guy like Giolito/Stroman with the other pick. It was a fine strategy and worthwhile risk on Davis given how many top picks we had that year.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I'm not totally on board with AAs "toolsy" mantra for position players. I find that you often end up with a fast guy who's not much good at anything in particular. Sometimes you just gotta fall in love with the single tool and make the guy serviceable at everything else... Aka find him a position...

Pretty much this. At this point, I'd prefer a guy with a plus hit tool and suspect fielding/ability to stick at a premium position. If the guy can rake, then we can use him. I don't know if we're going to take Naylor, but I'd really like a bat who can put the ball in play and get on base, anything extra is gravy.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't have any real strong feelings of who we pick. Naylor sounds good but seems like he's rising and could be gone earlier, potentially much earlier, even top 12. I wouldn't mind getting another middle infielder into the system either, seems to be our weakest spot with really only Urena. If we're going pitching it better be someone who really fell a la SRF last year or one of the injured guys if they get to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad