Post-Game Talk: It's the Daily Hockey Show! G2: Caps @ Sabres 7pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Well, sort of, but we're at odds as to why. He's a major reason in the sense that he's not a 1D/first pairing guy, and Buffalo doesn't have one, so as a team without one they're going to struggle and the guy they feed the tough assignments is going to take a hit. He's "not good enough" to avoid being outmatched but he's not untalented. That's all one big snowball, and there's a lot more at play than how good he is as a defenseman.

But the numbers do indicate when taking into account context and everything he's a third pairing guy at best. Again I ask what does he do particularly well aside from hitting and having a decent slap shot? His hockey IQ is bad, his defensive zone coverage is bad and he often finds himself out of position due to chasing hits, he isn't good in transition, he's not good at creating offense when in the zone, and he's not a particularly good passer. He used to be ok on the PP but even now he's not very good at it, he's not a very effective PKer.

He's not Jack Johnson but he'd also be the Capitals' 6th or maybe 7th best defenseman depending how Schultz turns out.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
But the numbers do indicate when taking into account context and everything he's a third pairing guy at best. Again I ask what does he do particularly well aside from hitting and having a decent slap shot? His hockey IQ is bad, his defensive zone coverage is bad and he often finds himself out of position due to chasing hits, he isn't good in transition, he's not good at creating offense when in the zone, and he's not a particularly good passer. He used to be ok on the PP but even now he's not very good at it, he's not a very effective PKer.

He's not Jack Johnson but he'd also be the Capitals' 6th or maybe 7th best defenseman depending how Schultz turns out.

Personally that's where "the numbers" lose me. Maybe when we get deep into player tracking it will be easier to isolate and identify plays where the rest of the team is in/out of position but I don't think that we're at the point that you can get a weighted read on individuals like that, and Schultz might end up being a great example since we're talking about him. Asked to do a different thing in a different system without babysitting another overmatched defenseman, he looks like a much better player than his reputation would have you expecting so far.

Caps have a good D corps and I'm still not certain about that, but I won't argue it either because it's based mostly on hypotheticals. All I can really say is that my eyes don't put him that low, just not good enough to play against the very best.

Reactions: um

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I almost want Samsonov again. Yeah, it's a back to back, but give Samsonov the same shooters, same ice, same everything and see which one breaks the other. If they look like they're picking him apart you can just yank him early, but I like the chances that he bounces back with some time to reflect (but not a ton).

I’m firmly in the earn your ice time camp. Sammy hasn’t earned that right to be presented as the guy yet. Best for him to feel like he has to fight for his place IMO.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I’m firmly in the earn your ice time camp. Sammy hasn’t earned that right to be presented as the guy yet. Best for him to feel like he has to fight for his place IMO.
I agree, and I wouldn't present it to him like he's the guy, I just think the opportunity to play under the same conditions and be tested by the same shooters is like an extended version of the test. Maybe on an actual back to back is too much to ask, but in some of these "series" with a day of separation I think you can learn a lot about each of these goaltenders by essentially saying "okay you've seen each other once and everything is fresh, now go out there again and adjust to them before they adjust to you".

I think it would be a good step towards figuring out which of your young goaltenders is more "solvable" and which is the more viable playoff option if it comes down to a close decision between the two, and just present a lot of interesting opportunities to analyze and coach things and then revisit them immediately with (as near as possible) identical game conditions.

Just a thought, might not outweigh keeping goalies fresh in a condensed schedule

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
If Ovi doesn't score any goals tonight, I shall boycott the Caps for a full 24hrs.

giphy.gif

Reactions: kicksavedave

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
let the bad blood ensue...I’m hoping that’s going to make this season a Randyholt dream.

All goals and no hits makes Randy a dull boy

OVER

I want to see someone not answer the bell. I don't think what Dowd did was deliberate, was it? It just seems too scripted and in a league with almost no hitting, one accidental hit means a fight the NEXT game? If a score needs to be settled settle it that night. Get over it.

I would like to see someone challenge Dowd and have him tag one of our heavies and watch the peon flee to the bench.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad