65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
In line with our Cobra Kai theme. Sweep the set

upload_2021-1-15_11-19-30.png

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Curious about Dahlin. It was mentioned how he packed on some weight in the offseason but IMO he did not look very good. Seems like his mobility was way down

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Curious about Dahlin. It was mentioned how he packed on some weight in the offseason but IMO he did not look very good. Seems like his mobility was way down

He always looks meh to me. Obviously he's extremley young but still.

Ill never understand the hate Ristolainen gets either. He's no 1D but he looks like a good 2-3 dman.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
This might have been addressed in another thread but I just can't bring myself to care about Covid Cup season #2. Such a strange schedule with playing the same teams every few days. I'll be watching and I know all the teams are in the same situation but bleh.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ill never understand the hate Ristolainen gets either. He's no 1D but he looks like a good 2-3 dman.

He's a third pairing guy at best. He's rated highly by a lot of people because he gets a lot of TOI and he's physical. But neither of those make a good dman. He bleeds shots and chances against and isn't particularly good at jumpstarting offense.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He's a third pairing guy at best. He's rated highly by a lot of people because he gets a lot of TOI and he's physical. But neither of those make a good dman. He bleeds shots and chances against and isn't particularly good at jumpstarting offense.
Yeah Risto is a guy where the eye test and corsi stuff don’t match up at all for me. I think he’s a very very good #2/#3D every time I watch him.

I know which way you lean on this kinda stuff but I just don’t buy it.

Reactions: um

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah Risto is a guy where the eye test and corsi stuff don’t match up at all for me. I think he’s a very very good #2/#3D every time I watch him.

I know which way you lean on this kinda stuff but I just don’t buy it.

What does he do particularly well?

All I see him do is hit and maybe his slap-shot is a little better than average but those things contribute very little to a D's overall impact.

And even ignoring his shot-based metrics his goal-based metrics are putrid: 44% goals for over the past 3 seasons. Maybe he's a major reason why Buffalo is in the basement every year.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Think Vanecek will get the start tonight?
I almost want Samsonov again. Yeah, it's a back to back, but give Samsonov the same shooters, same ice, same everything and see which one breaks the other. If they look like they're picking him apart you can just yank him early, but I like the chances that he bounces back with some time to reflect (but not a ton).

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
What does he do particularly well?

All I see him do is hit and maybe his slap-shot is a little better than average but those things contribute very little to his overall impact.
He's a good player in over his head, it's not his fault. He isn't the 1D they seem to use him as, but he's a player you can win with.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Last night looked like pre-season. Lots of goals, lots of missed defensive assignments.

Keep winning, keep improving.

Excited about sustained pressure in the offensive zone, rather than last year. Bleh!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He's a good player in over his head, it's not his fault. He isn't the 1D they seem to use him as, but he's a player you can win with.

Again I think he'd be fine on the third pairing but he's not really cut out for top 4 duty anywhere for teams with aspirations.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Last night looked like pre-season. Lots of goals, lots of missed defensive assignments.

Keep winning, keep improving.

Excited about sustained pressure in the offensive zone, rather than last year. Bleh!

The 3rd and 4th lines yesterday didn't add anything to the score sheet, but they kept possession for the most part and sustained a lot of pressure if I remember correctly. Hagelin and Dowd have to convert those goals though. They both had high grade A chances.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Watched the replay of game 1.
Great game overall, I thought everybody had a good game.
Interesting to see the D's TOI. Chara 20+. Schultz the least minutes

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Again I think he'd be fine on the third pairing but he's not really cut out for top 4 duty anywhere for teams with aspirations.
You'd take an Orlov-Ristolainen pair and you'd like it.

He's a fine #3, his skillset and decision making makes that pretty clear. Not without faults but not a hilarious mess.
And even ignoring his shot-based metrics his goal-based metrics are putrid: 44% goals for over the past 3 seasons. Maybe he's a major reason why Buffalo is in the basement every year.

Well, sort of, but we're at odds as to why. He's a major reason in the sense that he's not a 1D/first pairing guy, and Buffalo doesn't have one, so as a team without one they're going to struggle and the guy they feed the tough assignments is going to take a hit. He's "not good enough" to avoid being outmatched but he's not untalented. That's all one big snowball, and there's a lot more at play than how good he is as a defenseman.

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad