OT - NO POLITICS IT'S SUMMERTIME!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Well I know I'm going to regret this but I'm a landlord myself. I am looking at having to raise rents on the apartments here. I don't like it but the costs to keep a building occupied have just exploded, mainly due to inflation, scarcity of materials & fuel costs. Just a few examples- I was paying $ 90 a month for one dumpster as late as February. It is now up to $125 a month & may go higher. Interest rates have also increased so I'm paying $100 a month extra on the mortgage (money that we borrowed for major renovations to the building btw) and that is going to go up again since the Federal Reserve just jacked the prime rate another .75% this week. I have to replace another electrical panel & the cost to do that went from $1000. to $ 1800.00 in just a year. God only knows how much it's going to cost to heat the place, I've estimated at a minimum it will be double the cost of last year. And do not get me started on insurance, water/sewer fees and property taxes, the costs for which only goes in one direction. Finally, no matter how carefully you budget for expenses there is always something unanticipated that can throw everything off.

I am sick to f***ing death of landlords being portrayed as evil greedy money sucking parasites making life hell for poor put upon tenants. Most of the landlords I know are responsible people who do their best to provide a decent place for their tenants to rent & take care of things when they need fixing or replacement. I could tell you horror stories about asshole tenants from my own personal experience. Too many of them think that just because they pay rent they are entitled to trash the place & generally act like assholes towards their fellow tenants among other things. Screening processes help but a lot of them know how to game the system. And oh yeah tenants bitch about first/last month's rent, damage deposits etc but if landlords didn't get f***ed over financially on a regular basis by tenants those protections wouldn't be needed.

:madfire:

Yup, I dont know how you do it. People see landlord and think you're some millionaire cashing checks on a yacht when the overwhelming majority are regular folks renting out 1-2 houses.

I rented my house in RI out for a year when I moved out west and it was constant headaches, even using a property manager. They literally called because a lightbulb went out...oh and come move out day, they said they wouldn't be out on time and needed extra days (sounded like a scam to try to squat to me). But when the manager pointed out the rental contract says its $250 a day for every day they're in the house past the move out date they magically had their stuff out and the keys to the manager the next morning.

That 1 time was enough for me to say F that and just sold the house instead (luckily at the price peak).

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Well I know I'm going to regret this but I'm a landlord myself. I am looking at having to raise rents on the apartments here. I don't like it but the costs to keep a building occupied have just exploded, mainly due to inflation, scarcity of materials & fuel costs. Just a few examples- I was paying $ 90 a month for one dumpster as late as February. It is now up to $125 a month & may go higher. Interest rates have also increased so I'm paying $100 a month extra on the mortgage (money that we borrowed for major renovations to the building btw) and that is going to go up again since the Federal Reserve just jacked the prime rate another .75% this week. I have to replace another electrical panel & the cost to do that went from $1000. to $ 1800.00 in just a year. God only knows how much it's going to cost to heat the place, I've estimated at a minimum it will be double the cost of last year. And do not get me started on insurance, water/sewer fees and property taxes, the costs for which only goes in one direction. Finally, no matter how carefully you budget for expenses there is always something unanticipated that can throw everything off.

I am sick to f***ing death of landlords being portrayed as evil greedy money sucking parasites making life hell for poor put upon tenants. Most of the landlords I know are responsible people who do their best to provide a decent place for their tenants to rent & take care of things when they need fixing or replacement. I could tell you horror stories about asshole tenants from my own personal experience. Too many of them think that just because they pay rent they are entitled to trash the place & generally act like assholes towards their fellow tenants among other things. Screening processes help but a lot of them know how to game the system. And oh yeah tenants bitch about first/last month's rent, damage deposits etc but if landlords didn't get f***ed over financially on a regular basis by tenants those protections wouldn't be needed.

I'm not trying to paint every landlord with the same brush, this is just my personal experience. Believe me I know about trashy tenants, and I don't confess to knowing about all the expenses. But I've outlasted at least three management companies here. The first one was the best, since then it's been a merry go round.

It's hard to stomach seeing $237 more a month when I have been asking them to do a simple thing like clean the breezeway since March and I keep getting excuses as to why it can't be done. The leasing agent said they have four maintenance guys with not a lot of work to do. So why can't they power wash a breezeway?

I mean, look at these pics. It's gross.

I'm just frustrated right now.

Could you move to Nashville and manage this property? We need more Bruins fans here. And someone who knows what they're doing. :nod:

20220723_082759.jpg
20220723_082850.jpg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I wouldn't want to be a landlord at all. Unfortunately there are some real shitty ones and they give good landlords like you a bad wrap. You actually take care of issues and have them fixed correctly.

I have my own issues with my complex especially for what they charge but don't offer to existing tenants but offer to newer ones to lure them in. Add in that when they do fix something it is only after you submit several tickets and the job is done half assed.

I am seriously considering not renewing in the spring because the cost is not worth it. I know I won't get my deposit back because they are notorious for "finding issues"

Reactions: BMC and CHRDANHUTCH

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm not trying to paint every landlord with the same brush, this is just my personal experience. Believe me I know about trashy tenants, and I don't confess to knowing about all the expenses. But I've outlasted at least three management companies here. The first one was the best, since then it's been a merry go round.

It's hard to stomach seeing $237 more a month when I have been asking them to do a simple thing like clean the breezeway since March and I keep getting excuses as to why it can't be done. The leasing agent said they have four maintenance guys with not a lot of work to do. So why can't they power wash a breezeway?

I mean, look at these pics. It's gross.

I'm just frustrated right now.

Could you move to Nashville and manage this property? We need more Bruins fans here. And someone who knows what they're doing. :nod:

View attachment 573380View attachment 573381
At this point I'd be on the phone to the city and public health department because that is mold and is unsafe for everyone.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I think anyone that heats by fuel oil be it landlords or homeowners are going to be in for a shock this winter.
I was decluttering the past few weeks and destroying old records. The cost of my oil has increased by almost 6X the last 15 years.
m last fill up 200 gallons was $1200- .
Last winter we averaged about $800/month.

In 2006 it was $300-

When we built the house in 1999 a gallon was $.48 cents a gallon versus almost $6 a gallon now.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think anyone that heats by fuel oil be it landlords or homeowners are going to be in for a shock this winter.
I was decluttering the past few weeks and destroying old records. The cost of my oil has increased by almost 6X the last 15 years.
m last fill up 200 gallons was $1200- .
Last winter we averaged about $800/month.

In 2006 it was $300-
When I was a wee boy and my family moved to the south shore from Dorchester, I remember driving by the same heating oil company constantly as we slowly made the move over a couple weeks. It started at 79 cents, and I think within a year of the move it was 1.29

My gas bill crushes my soul sometimes, but I'm happy to not be tracking oil consumption/cost any more.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
When I was a wee boy and my family moved to the south shore from Dorchester, I remember driving by the same heating oil company constantly as we slowly made the move over a couple weeks. It started at 79 cents, and I think within a year of the move it was 1.29

My gas bill crushes my soul sometimes, but I'm happy to not be tracking oil consumption/cost any more.

I hope like hell my next house has natural gas. We hope to move this time next year. Not only the cost variance but for me a tremendous difference in less snow shoveling/ removal. Our current fill is behind our house. Every storm I have to make a 50 foot path from our driveway to the oil fill. Dig out the yard gate access. It may not seem like much but as I age it gets harder.

Reactions: sooshii and Ladyfan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I hope like hell my next house has natural gas. We hope to move this time next year. Not only the cost variance but for me a tremendous difference in less snow shoveling/ removal. Our current fill is behind our house. Every storm I have to make a 50 foot path from our driveway to the oil fill. Dig out the yard gate access. It may not seem like much but as I age it gets harder.
That's the absolute worst, especially if the path is over grass. Funny how the filler neck is hardly ever in a spot you're already shoveling right? I don't hold up well in the summer heat, so by default I tolerate shoveling, but I admit that any minute saved shoveling heavy/wet snow is worth whatever the trade off is.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Yeah I can visualize that being a lot of work. 50ft doesn't sound like it's far away until it takes three 40lb shovels full of snow to gain 1ft.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
We have lucked out timing wise. Our house was build in 1823. Last fall we got insulation done throughout through Mass Save. In late winter we scheduled a plumber for a new furnace and are converting from oil to gas. We're also getting a generator because my son loses his mind when we lose power.

The price of natural gas will be no picnic, but like you I am looking forward to not have to shovel out the oil fill pipe. It's a long haul from the driveway.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

My sister’s tenants left shit on the ceiling. On the ceiling.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
We have lucked out timing wise. Our house was build in 1823. Last fall we got insulation done throughout through Mass Save. In late winter we scheduled a plumber for a new furnace and are converting from oil to gas. We're also getting a generator because my son loses his mind when we lose power.

The price of natural gas will be no picnic, but like you I am looking forward to not have to shovel out the oil fill pipe. It's a long haul from the driveway.
Twenty years of stacking wood in June to have to always tend to the stove instead of hitting a button

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad