Post-Game Talk: ITS OVER- Did we make a huge mistake on Pierre-Luc Dubois Thread?

“Would you rather that the Habs trade for Dubois or instead wait and try to sign him when he becomes

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I remember some 16 years ago (ffs, has it been this long?), there were all these rumors flying around that Briere wanted to sign here. I was heffin stoked. I had followed Briere in junior and his years with the Yotes. Couldn't fathom why they couldn't get him going, didn't seem to trust him. When he fully broke out in Buffalo, I was so happy for him. Knew it would eventually happen.

Signing in Montreal, the team would've been stacked. Not a perfect team, mind you, but full of talent nevertheless. Those who remember, know what team I'm talking about. The team that won the conference, sans Briere, to end-up eliminated by Briere. Could you for a moment imagine that team with Briere? The possibilities? Being loaded at center with Saks, Plex and Danny? Trade Plex to shore up another position, still sign Hamrlik. Anyway.. sigh.

So, I remember that feeling. I remember the day, the moment. Where I was, whom I was with. I felt so dejected. It wasn't the end of the world, not by a long shot, but it left me with a very bitter taste. Silly young me, I said to myself "never again will I get my hopes up like that for a Quebecer star saying he wants to come here".

I also stopped lurking and started posting here in the two previous weeks before he signed.

So yeah, never again.

I'll believe it when I'll see it.

At the time I was pissed but at the same time during all the negotiations I kept thinking that the Habs management and fandom all of us were pathetic to lower ourselves for someone that was good but not close to be a franchise guy. We were so damn starved to get a top player and a french guy to boot.

It's time for all of us to learn this important lesson now. Develop our young guys and f*** these french players that are "available". No more bending the knee. Stay the course. f*** these greedy rich whores. It's funny how people want french guys cause they are one of us cause of patriotism and they themselves don't give a f*** about us, about Quebec or the Habs. Danault should have been the last straw to open our eyes. That God damn pizza-eating traitor.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think it's hilarious kings fans were balking at Vilardi and Iafallo then ere saying well at least it opens up spots for Kupari and others and they'll get a good prospect added from Winnipeg. Then the actual deal came through.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I think it's hilarious kings fans were balking at Vilardi and Iafallo then ere saying well at least it opens up spots for Kupari and others and they'll get a good prospect added from Winnipeg. Then the actual deal came through.
They traded 4 players (durzi trade) and a second pick

for 1 player , and they have half a dsquad and no goalie lmao

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
L.A. does not have a lot of cap space to fill out their roster, it will be interesting to see what moves they make is off-season.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I just feel betrayed. I defended him and thought he truly wanted to come here, and that he was different from all the other money chasing mangeurs de merde who have used the Habs as a way to increase their bank accounts. I was wrong. Dead wrong. I almost feel like it’s prom night and my date left with someone else. Again. Haha.

I feel that he would have helped this team quite a bit, but the deal is done now, I don’t wish him ill but if he is a colossal flop as a King, never wins a thing, and gets to watch and hang out with all of his buddies that play for the Habs when they win a cup? Let’s just say I won’t be unhappy either.

Vaya con dios, PLD.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It isn't cool now and it wasn't cool throughout this thread by mindless haters.

I'm disappointed we don't have Dubois on our roster and I'm not the least bit assuaged by the acquisition of Newhook instead.

It all has the feel -- especially in a reportedly deep draft -- of the Shaw acquisition, with CHI drafting DeBrincat with one of the 2nd round picks we gave up for Andrew.

I expect to see Newhook on the wing, most likely with Dach, but we will need a pure breed finisher on that line. I don't know who that can be?

With a line I'd like to see of Slafkovsky - Monahan - Anderson, that leaves two duos without a partner to complete their line; Caufield - Suzuki, Newhook - Dach.

Caufield - Newhook need a puck possession winger who can set up his line mates.

Newhook - Dach need a finisher who can play a little physical and, perhaps, boast some speed to keep.

It would be wrong to say we have high end players in the lineup, or high end players in the making, to complement both duos.

Maybe we select one in this year's draft and he eventually becomes that high end player we need and, maybe, one of the bunch already in the system pans out better than expected -- and beck eventually replaces Monahan?

In the meantime, Roy, from what we saw with him playing alongside Bedard, may represent that puck possession winger who can set up his line mates (and score goals, in his case) and, maybe, Heineman represents that finisher (NHL wrist shot) with some physicality and speed?

Caufield - Suzuki - Roy
Newhook - Dach - Heineman
Slafkovsky - Monahan - Anderson
RHP - Dvorak - Armia

Gallagher, Hoffman, Pezzetta

LA did not get worse at all. The Cap figure is a little high, though, but not insanely high.
Roy will be in Laval............
LA gave up 3 players who had a total of 95 pts.............Dubois had 63 pts.

LA still have major cap issues, and it's not pretty right now.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
If Pierre likes it, then it's good enough for me.

Maybe Pierre knows something about Newhook that we don't, like the length of his stick..

PkMdoh0.gif

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Attachments

• 1687912577987.png
    1687912577987.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 2

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I just feel betrayed. I defended him and thought he truly wanted to come here, and that he was different from all the other money chasing mangeurs de merde who have used the Habs as a way to increase their bank accounts. I was wrong. Dead wrong. I almost feel like it’s prom night and my date left with someone else. Again. Haha.

I feel that he would have helped this team quite a bit, but the deal is done now, I don’t wish him ill but if he is a colossal flop as a King, never wins a thing, and gets to watch and hang out with all of his buddies that play for the Habs when they win a cup? Let’s just say I won’t be unhappy either.

Vaya con dios, PLD.
We shouldn't be surprised.........money trumps everything in most cases in pro sports. He did make it seem he wanted to play in Montreal.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Roy will be in Laval............
LA gave up 3 players who had a total of 95 pts.............Dubois had 63 pts.

LA still have major cap issues, and it's not pretty right now.
Even with Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Monahan, Anderson and Slafkovsky, Montreal is still shy NHL-ready contributors that can be more than middling producers right now.

We are still years away from competing at a high level, but may have enough experience, skill and depth to fill out the top-9 with rookies and have them learn on the job.

Hoffman will be gone at year's end, if not sooner. Pezzetta is a non factor. Gallagher is the thorn in our side that won't leave anytime soon and may become an extremely expensive depth player.

Might have to let Gallagher play to make sure he finishes on the LTIR and books an eventual ticket to Robidas Island where he can vacation with friends Weber and Price...

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Where all the people that said, PLD will only sign with the Habs? He will be ''free'' next summer. He only have Montreal on his list. ''He want to come only to Montreal''

Player have always use the Montreal media to boost salary.
I never believed this , I believed that he just wanted money and he got it at the end.

There is 3 winners and 1 loser in all this

Winner : US
Winner : Winnipeg
Winner : Dubois
Loser : LA team losing 4 players and a pick for a 60 points guy

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

Vaya con dios, PLD.

That's what it's like to be a Habs fan, both in the case of players coming here and in other ways as well. Won't lie, my fandom is starting to waver quite a bit.

I've generally cut losers and emotional vampires out of my everyday life. This team is starting to make me want to do the same.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Where all the people that said, PLD will only sign with the Habs? He will be ''free'' next summer. He only have Montreal on his list. ''He want to come only to Montreal''

Player have always use the Montreal media to boost salary.
Not all the people. HF Habs: - Trade Proposal Thread #84: Off-Season edition
This makes sense to me. A lot of posters are thinking that this is in the bag, just wait out the UFA eligibility, but I don't believe that this is a binary event. Colorado, Boston and other teams will make a pitch to the Jets for his services, and Dubois will happily sign there. He could be using Montreal as leverage, like so many before him.

Reactions: Andrei79 and rahad

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I never believed this , I believed that he just wanted money and he got it at the end.

There is 3 winners and 1 loser in all this

Winner : US
Winner : Winnipeg
Winner : Dubois
Loser : LA team losing 4 players and a pick for a 60 points guy
LA gave up four players, of which the last three accumulated 90+ points VS 60+ points for ONE player, and e are to believe that quantity meh producers is greater than a better single player who plays C?

LA gained by adding Dubois VS those three players in terms of skill that takes up one roster spot.

The problem is that LA did this when they are Cap-strapped and have 7 extra players to sign with just over 4M to get it done.

More gifts about to be handed out to make Cap room...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino