Post-Game Talk: IT'S OVAH - Hibernation begins and so does the finger pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Okay here goes. This isn't fully what I want, and I'm trying to be realistic (Chara, as much as I want him gone, isn't getting traded). Just a quick look...

Bold is a new addition, via trade or F/A, Italics is a guess as to salary.

I haven't a clue WHAT would be traded, by the way. Just an idea as to what I'd like to see.

Lucic ($6.0M) / Krejci ($7.25M) / Yakupov ($4.0M)
Marchand ($4.5M) / Bergeron ($6.5M) / Connolly ($2.0M)
Eriksson ($4.25M) / Spooner ($1.0M) / Pastrnak ($.925M)
Ferlin ($.875M) / Khokhlachev ($.785M) / Talbot ($1.75M)

Chara ($6.9M) / Hamilton ($3.5M)
Sekera ($4.0M) / Miller ($.8M)
Krug ($3.4M) / McQuaid ($2.5M)

Rask ($7.0M)
Svedberg ($1.0M)

Comes out to around $69 Million.

If I could get something of value from Lucic I would do it. Same with Marchand or Eriksson. I like all 3 players though.

Someone like Sekera would be good for a #3 D.

I haven't spent too much time looking at UFA's or who may be available in trade, FYI.

"I'm trying to be realistic..."

*posts totally unrealistic lineup*

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'll love any local team that works their ***** off.

Not to mention they have the 3rd most wins in the East since the AS break (essentially since they had roster continuity)- that will go along way towards raising some excitement.

I'll tell you what, I had a better time watching them then I did the Bruins this year. I consider myself a much bigger Bruins fan too.

I just think it's funny that relative to sports in general, being below .500 is simply not the mark of a very good team. Yet, the Celtics are perceived as winnahs because despite their lack of talent, they play in a conference that is clearly lacking talent all around, hence why a sub .500 team is not only in the playoffs, but comfortably in place (If I'm not mistaken the bottom four in that conference are all hovering just below .500) No one expected them to be any good, so now that they managed to get in the post season in an awful league, they deserve mad props? If they played in the west, they'd be a punching bag a everyone here would be ****ing on them.

Hey, Bruins don't belong in the playoffs....I said when they traded Boychuk they went from being a top team in the conference to middle of the pack, and if age and injuries caught up (which they did) the team was going to be on the outside looking in. Well that's what happened. They are still a pretty good hockey club with 96 points and a better than .500 record which makes this all the more angering, but I remain positive that this team doesn't need to rebuild, just retool. They still had to show enough heart, grit etc. to win 14 more games than they lost, I don't see how that makes them "losahs". The NHL is simply a better level of competition than obviously the NBA is.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I did. These were the follow ups to his post.

Hey Hali, there it is. :laugh:

Ah, good call Kate.

There was another playoff spot up for grabs besides Ottawa.

We blew it.

Several posters have been waiting and expecting other posters to chalk up and write off the Bruin's collapse as nothing more than bad luck due to Ottawa making a huge run instead of the team having actual issues. So congrats to you for fulfilling that prophecy...:laugh:

That excuse.

Do you truly, honestly believe that the Bruins played well enough to earn their place in the post-season this year, but were just somehow unlucky enough not get there?

The point totals this year were inflated for humerus reasons. Regardless...

...If you don't think the Bruins played well enough to be in the playoffs, then what are we arguing? You agree with everyone else here.

I couldn't possibly give a **** less this year what their point total was or who else did what. The BRUINS did not do what was necessary to earn their place in the post-season.

People immediately jumped on him because he brought up the number. He never was using it as an excuse for why the Bruins collapsed. He never once pointed to the fact of how they played was why they didn't make it. He said that they would have been in with their point total if Ottawa had not gone on that run. That's all. He didn't use it as an excuse. The way I read it, he was just bringing the Ottawa run in the context that it took something like that to keep a team with 96 points out of the playoffs. Because it's never happened before. Not because of what the Bruins did or didn't do. In fact, he even said in that post that they didn't play how they wanted to play, or in other words, well enough to make the playoffs.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
seriously though...anyone who plays the "96 points should have been enough" card deserves to have their fan license revoked.

Did people not watch the same team I did in the final week of the season? They totally **** the bed at the most crucial point. That loss to Florida was totally inexcusable. Losing to a team that is already eliminated when you're fighting for a playoff spot is the very definition of not deserving it.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

People immediately jumped on him because he brought up the number. He never was using it as an excuse for why the Bruins collapsed. He never once pointed to the fact of how they played was why they didn't make it. He said that they would have been in with their point total if Ottawa had not gone on that run. That's all. He didn't use it as an excuse. The way I read it, he was just bringing the Ottawa run in the context that it took something like that to keep a team with 96 points out of the playoffs. Because it's never happened before. Not because of what the Bruins did or didn't do. In fact, he even said in that post that they didn't play how they wanted to play, or in other words, well enough to make the playoffs.

Not surprisingly, you missed the follow-ups to his follow-up post where it was explained.

But ok.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

I can't blame people for jumping on the guy. Even with Ottawa's run, if the Bruins had won just 2 more games it wouldn't have mattered. It's just an asinine point to bring up. There were a lot more reasons that the Bruins didn't make it than just Ottawa's run.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I can't blame people for jumping on the guy. Even with Ottawa's run, if the Bruins had won just 2 more games it wouldn't have mattered. It's just an asinine point to bring up. There were a lot more reasons that the Bruins didn't make it than just Ottawa's run.

Absolutely, there were countless reasons. I could write a ******* essay on reasons this team didn't make the playoffs. :laugh:

It's a harmless point to make though. It can just as easily be approached as, "Hey, you know there are a lot of other reasons they missed the playoffs, right?" This board has too much of a tendency to gang up on people. There were multiple people just jumping to conclusions immediately. One person can pose the question, he responds, case closed, move on. If he actually believed that and was using that as an excuse, then go ahead, pile on, I'll jump on top.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm sure nobody here was upset and perhaps felt a little unlucky when the Pats went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

first of all I don't give a flying turd about football or the Pats. Second of all it is not the same thing at all. Literally half the teams in the NHL get into the playoffs. If you miss the playoffs in the NHL, I don't care how many points you had, you simply didn't deserve it. Besides, didn't the Pats miss the playoffs that year because of the NFL's absurd divsional rules? And the controversy was that they had a better record than some teams that made the playoffs.

That is obviously not the case with the Bruins. If a team had a worse record than them and got that last playoff spot then I can understand blaming circumstance, but the Bruins did this to themselves.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Don't lump me in with the jumping down his throat crowd. He asked, so I explained. That's all. I offered no commentary on his view either way, just commented on why people were saying what they did...:laugh:

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Don't lump me in with the jumping down his throat crowd. He asked, so I explained. That's all. I offered no commentary on his view either way, just commented on why people were saying what they did...:laugh:

My bad. Read into your last sentence a little to much as you sort of agreeing with their sentiments.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I'm okay with being lumped in.

Without clarification to the contrary, the original post was a series of facts that implied that considering their record, the Bruins deserved a better fate.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Ever since we lost our Interm Gorton its been downhill.

We need to plan for the type of team we want to build.

Speed is the new trend. Forget the big bad Bruins, that does not work in today's hockey.

It's a SPEED game.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Ever since we lost our Interm Gorton its been downhill.

We need to plan for the type of team we want to build.

Speed is the new trend. Forget the big bad Bruins, that does not work in today's hockey.

It's a SPEED game.

Why can't we have both ?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My bad. Read into your last sentence a little to much as you sort of agreeing with their sentiments.

Nah, it was more just laughing because someone was bound to say it and there were people already waiting to pounce. End of season flare ups, after things went bad, are always hilarious to me. It's just misdirected anger because the team spit the bit this year. It wasn't even enjoyable. They were boring. They were uninspired. They played lousy hockey all season long.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
Why can't we have both ?

You absolutely NEED both. Look at the Rangers, Capitals or the Ducks. All teams with speed, but can also play a heavy nasty game. Guys like Kreider are what we need. Speed and nastiness mixed with skill. We can't have a team full of Pasta's. The guy is going to be a great player, but you still need to make sure you have those physical guys. Something we were SORELY lacking last year.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I only get upset when faced with a false equivalency.

I was talking odds and luck only. Odds of a 96 pt team not making the NHL playoffs are roughly the same as an 11-5 team not making the NFL playoffs. Ignoring how you got there and whether you deserve it, you have to be at least a little unlucky not to make the playoffs in either scenario.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I am sure if you looked back over the entire regular season you could find many games where the team just gave away points to supposedly inferior competition but from March 15-22 the Bruins played 5 games against the likes of Buffalo ,Florida and Ottawa and only came out with two points.They were still lucky to be in it after that terrible stretch.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I am sure if you looked back over the entire regular season you could find many games where the team just gave away points to supposedly inferior competition but from March 15-22 the Bruins played 5 games against the likes of Buffalo ,Florida and Ottawa and only came out with two points.They were still lucky to be in it after that terrible stretch.

Absolutely.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I was talking odds and luck only. Odds of a 96 pt team not making the NHL playoffs are roughly the same as an 11-5 team not making the NFL playoffs. Ignoring how you got there and whether you deserve it, you have to be at least a little unlucky not to make the playoffs in either scenario.

We have been bad and unlucky then.

The Bruins have only themselves to blame for not making the playoffs. 96pts or not.

They played like crap for most of the season. Had they played up to their potential, they would have been fighting for the top seed instead.

This team was capable of so much more. What a disapointing and wasted season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad