Post-Game Talk: IT'S OVAH - Hibernation begins and so does the finger pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Okay here goes. This isn't fully what I want, and I'm trying to be realistic (Chara, as much as I want him gone, isn't getting traded). Just a quick look...

Bold is a new addition, via trade or F/A, Italics is a guess as to salary.

I haven't a clue WHAT would be traded, by the way. Just an idea as to what I'd like to see.

Lucic ($6.0M) / Krejci ($7.25M) / Yakupov ($4.0M)
Marchand ($4.5M) / Bergeron ($6.5M) / Connolly ($2.0M)
Eriksson ($4.25M) / Spooner ($1.0M) / Pastrnak ($.925M)
Ferlin ($.875M) / Khokhlachev ($.785M) / Talbot ($1.75M)

Chara ($6.9M) / Hamilton ($3.5M)
Sekera ($4.0M) / Miller ($.8M)
Krug ($3.4M) / McQuaid ($2.5M)

Rask ($7.0M)
Svedberg ($1.0M)

Comes out to around $69 Million.

If I could get something of value from Lucic I would do it. Same with Marchand or Eriksson. I like all 3 players though.

Someone like Sekera would be good for a #3 D.

I haven't spent too much time looking at UFA's or who may be available in trade, FYI.

HanktheHammer*

What a disappointing season for the Bruins. Hopefully, there is change in the near future. But, I imagine Chiarelli stays on, but it's time for Julien to go. He really sapped the creativity out of the Bruins. I recommend that the Bruins hire Ted Nolan or a Randy Carlyle for his replacement.

Lucic has got to go. He ain't the same player he once was. Lucic got complacent in a hurry. Trade him to get a top d-man.

The Bruins have got to get a dependable backup for Rask. He shouldn't have played a lot of games towards the end.

And the Bruins should move up to draft Mikko Rantanen. He's big, strong and played in a men's league. Rantanen would be this year's draft steal like Pastrnak was.

Hop to see you postings come the summer draft time.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I grew up as a huge Celtics fan but I was a fan of all things Boston and I have seen in person the Celtics winning the title at home several times.

I don't like what the NBA has become. You could put a gun to my head and ask what channel is NBA TV and I have no clue. I know where MLB, NFL and of course NHL are located but not basketball.

I think it stems at how in the 80's my friends in Cambridge used to tease me because I was a Bruins fan.

Yeah, I hear you. In ways, the NBA really hasn't figured out what to do with itself since Michael Jordan retired. They've tried to manufacture superstars of his caliber a few times since-- Koby Bryan first, and now Lebron James. Both great, but in my view, not in MJ's class. The great rivalries of the past (Celtics, Lakers, e.g.,) like you have in hockey, just don't seem to be part of their marketing approach. Because they're about individual players, not teams.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Everyone is to blame for this wasted season. From top to bottom. Even Bergeron and Rask had rough parts.

Even playing sub-par for most of the season and being abysmal in the Mickey-Mouse-shoutout, this was almost good enough to make the top-8...

This team was capable of so much more. What a wasted season.

Reassess in the summer, make the tweaks needed and get back contending for the top of the conference next year.

Sheehan555

Some Kid from Boston
Sep 22, 2012
Tewksbury, MA
I don't know if it has been mentioned but despite the overall bad feeling throughout the season, the Bruins put up 96 Points.

Can anyone give me a rundown of teams with 95+ points who didn't make the playoffs?

They would easily have been in if Ottawa didn't go on an UNBELIEVABLE run. Yes, the Bruins didn't realize what Ottawa had going on, and didn't play how they needed to play, but man, 2 wins shy of 100 points and no playoffs?

Feels like the Matt Cassel led Patriots not making the Playoffs at 11-5.

EDIT: Went back to the 04-05 season and only found 3 cases of this: Dallas in 10-11 had 95 Points, Florida in 08-09 had 93 Points and Colorado in 06-07 had 95 Points.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I don't know if it has been mentioned but despite the overall bad feeling throughout the season, the Bruins put up 96 Points.

Can anyone give me a rundown of teams with 95+ points who didn't make the playoffs?

They would easily have been in if Ottawa didn't go on an UNBELIEVABLE run.
Yes, the Bruins didn't realize what Ottawa had going on, and didn't play how they needed to play, but man, 2 wins shy of 100 points and no playoffs?

Feels like the Matt Cassel led Patriots not making the Playoffs at 11-5.

EDIT: Went back to the 04-05 season and only found 3 cases of this: Dallas in 10-11 had 95 Points, Florida in 08-09 had 93 Points and Colorado in 06-07 had 95 Points.

Hey Hali, there it is. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Several posters have been waiting and expecting other posters to chalk up and write off the Bruin's collapse as nothing more than bad luck due to Ottawa making a huge run instead of the team having actual issues. So congrats to you for fulfilling that prophecy...:laugh:

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
That excuse.

Do you truly, honestly believe that the Bruins played well enough to earn their place in the post-season this year, but were just somehow unlucky enough not get there?

And THAT is why there won't be any substantive changes this off-season. So long as fans buy the kool-aid and continue to sell out the Garden, management will think everything is lovely. They can blame injuries for everything and go on from there.

Empty seats at the Garden speak louder than ***ching on a Bruins posting board

Sheehan555

Some Kid from Boston
Sep 22, 2012
Tewksbury, MA
That excuse.

Do you truly, honestly believe that the Bruins played well enough to earn their place in the post-season this year, but were just somehow unlucky enough not get there?

I never said they were unlucky. It doesn't matter how bad they played, putting up 96 points in a season has been practically guaranteed for the past decade.. so yea.. you expect a team to make the playoffs with that amount of points.

I admitted the Bruins didn't play how they needed to. I'm not saying they were such a great team and I love them so much and they didn't deserve this and Ottawa and Pittsburgh are stinky, smelly losers..

I'm saying that despite their bad play, from what we are used to, they still had a decent year when it comes to points; a year where you expect your point total to get you a playoff spot.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
And THAT is why there won't be any substantive changes this off-season. So long as fans buy the kool-aid and continue to sell out the Garden, management will think everything is lovely. They can blame injuries for everything and go on from there.

Empty seats at the Garden speak louder than ***ching on a Bruins posting board

We aren't yet at the point where there will be empty seats at the Garden. The Bruins are still sexy in this city. The bandwagon is still riding high, and will be until there are a few consecutive years of playoff misses.

Sheehan555

Some Kid from Boston
Sep 22, 2012
Tewksbury, MA
Ah, good call Kate.

There was another playoff spot up for grabs besides Ottawa.

We blew it.

Yes. It's quite obvious the Bruins blew it. I didn't state anything against that. They played like ***** against Washington and Florida and put themselves in an awful situation going into the final day of the season.

For christ's sake, I'm just saying I thought it was odd for a team to have so many points and not make the playoffs and apparently I'm a *****ing moron.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Yes. It's quite obvious the Bruins blew it. I didn't state anything against that. They played like ***** against Washington and Florida and put themselves in an awful situation going into the final day of the season.

For christ's sake, I'm just saying I thought it was odd for a team to have so many points and not make the playoffs and apparently I'm a *****ing moron.

You're not a ****ing moron.

But it has been said, ad nauseum, that the point totals this year have been inflated due to a) tanking and b) high number of 3-point games this season

Eye test -- did this team look like a 96-point team to you?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I never said they were unlucky. It doesn't matter how bad they played, putting up 96 points in a season has been practically guaranteed for the past decade.. so yea.. you expect a team to make the playoffs with that amount of points.

I admitted the Bruins didn't play how they needed to. I'm not saying they were such a great team and I love them so much and they didn't deserve this and Ottawa and Pittsburgh are stinky, smelly losers..

I'm saying that despite their bad play, from what we are used to, they still had a decent year when it comes to points; a year where you expect your point total to get you a playoff spot.

The point totals this year were inflated for humerus reasons. Regardless...

...If you don't think the Bruins played well enough to be in the playoffs, then what are we arguing? You agree with everyone else here.

I couldn't possibly give a **** less this year what their point total was or who else did what. The BRUINS did not do what was necessary to earn their place in the post-season.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

You're not a moron and you're not the only one who's going to bring it up.

After seeing how this all shook out, I think it's just incredibly wrong to try and use Ottawa's miracle run as a way to make what happened with this team this season look any nicer than the reality of it. If you're acknowledging they blew it, then you get it.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
We aren't yet at the point where there will be empty seats at the Garden. The Bruins are still sexy in this city. The bandwagon is still riding high, and will be until there are a few consecutive years of playoff misses.

They're boring to watch. If I want to see the New England Revolution on ice, I'll go to Gillette and watch the soccer team. I gained 8 pounds this season just going for a snack whenever the 4th line was on the ice. Give me some offensive zone forechecking, skating, some fights and a group of players that care enough to play 60 solid minutes and I'll be a happy hockey fan. Until then they can blow it all up and get players who will do the above.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Holy freaking ****. The guy pointed out that he thought it was kinda crazy that they had 96 points and didn't make it. Not once did he say whether they played good or bad. He was looking at the number. That's IT. God forbid he didn't read every single damn post in the thread before posting it. It's a freaking forum, thousands of people posting, it's likely that somebody's posted it before, and somebody is going to post it again. No need to jump down the freaking guy's throat for posting it.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
They're boring to watch. If I want to see the New England Revolution on ice, I'll go to Gillette and watch the soccer team. I gained 8 pounds this season just going for a snack whenever the 4th line was on the ice. Give me some offensive zone forechecking, skating, some fights and a group of players that care enough to play 60 solid minutes and I'll be a happy hockey fan. Until then they can blow it all up and get players who will do the above.

Again, I don't disagree with you. But I really don't think they are at a point yet where ticket sales are going to suffer.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Holy freaking ****. The guy pointed out that he thought it was kinda crazy that they had 96 points and didn't make it. Not once did he say whether they played good or bad. He was looking at the number. That's IT. God forbid he didn't read every single damn post in the thread before posting it. It's a freaking forum, thousands of people posting, it's likely that somebody's posted it before, and somebody is going to post it again. No need to jump down the freaking guy's throat for posting it.

We're all in off season, missed playoff , season of failure attack mode right now. Should be some great poster on poster crime over the next few weeks...:naughty:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Read the follow up. No one is jumping down his throat.

Lighten up, Francis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad