News Article: It's important to remember Babcock and all the good things he did.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babs is always going to be a mixed bag, especially in terms of legacy with the Leafs.

I'm fine with him getting a second chance, if he's shown he's moved past the nastier parts of his behavior. Though id rather see him behind a bench than as a media analyst since he's got the personality of a wood plank.

For the Leafs, its fair to say to say he was right about aome things. He wanted a better D core and never quite got it ect. And he was right backing guys like Hyman to put them up the lineup ect.

Though he did himself no favors either. Unnecessarily stubborn about not using/trying out some new guys. Holl bow flourishing makes that choice by him look even worse. Then you've got him being unwilling to experiment more when things aren't working - to thr downright bizarre like not even trying Tavares and Nylander or Matthews and Marner ect. A.d tactical choices like leaning on the stretch pass too much dont look great in retrospect either.

I think he was overall the wrong type of coach for a young team: he would be better suited for a vet heavy team. I think it was a good lesson that just because you land a big name doesn't mean he's always the right fit for the job

So a mixed bag overall. I think it'll be for the best that the two sides parted ways.

Edit: couple typos

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'll always wonder if Babcock is the reason we had to pay so much money to the big 3.

I feel there was a lot of drama behind the scenes that the organization didn't want to come out.

Nylander was so close to missing an entire year. Didn't seem like he would have minded if that happened either. We always paid our stars at least market value and we were willing to do so with these 3, but we had to go above and beyond for each of them. It still doesn't add up for me and I've yet to hear a proper explanation.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
E5NBHX.jpg

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'll always wonder if Babcock is the reason we had to pay so much money to the big 3.

I feel there was a lot of drama behind the scenes that the organization didn't want to come out.

Nylander was so close to missing an entire year. Didn't seem like he would have minded if that happened either. We always paid our stars at least market value and we were willing to do so with these 3, but we had to go above and beyond for each of them. It still doesn't add up for me and I've yet to hear a proper explanation.

Let me help you with that: he's absolutely the reason we had to overpay.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I'm far less concerned with the specific "Marner incident", and more the pattern of abuse and lack of remorse. The only thing he said about Franzen made himself the victim, he only talked about how hurt he was and how much he champions the cause of mental health. No apology, no remorse, no word on how it affected the other party.

For a man who incessantly preaches being a good person, he's an awfully not-good person.

Not to defend babcock; but i wonder if babcock was aware of franzen's mental health when he pushed him; if he was aware and still pushed him then yup babs is an ass

the bell #letstalk hashtag is basically saying if you have problems speak up; if you dont many people wouldn't know because they are busy doing their own things

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Took the guy a year to come out with his side of the story? I'm not buying it. This guy has too much of a track record to belive anything he says.

Marner
Spezza
Franzen
Modano
Commodore
I think Zetterberg had issues with him too iirc.

When all the stuff was floating around about Commodore, I brushed it off thinking this is a guy that is whining and placing blame because his career was coming to an end. Im glad I finally listened to the interviews and heard what Babcock did. Guy was a POS.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
No really, where's this exhaustive list of good things he did?

He got paid loads of cash, didn't do a particularly good job, and then was outed as also having been a huge asshole after he was fired. If he wants to rehab his image he needs to try a lot harder.

Well he got Toronto to last place to land Matthews and he got them to the playoffs as well.

I also think that he's got a whole other career of success to fall back on even when you don't look at his Toronto tenure with disdain.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Unpopular opinion here, but these men getting paid millions to play a sport need to man up. Tough love. Babcock was right, these guys need to learn to put in a consistent effort.
What does getting paid millions have to do with anything? All men need to man up. Money doesnt give you any more reponsibility.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Was it just me, but felt like Babcock was all about coaching based on spiting Dubas.

Reactions: zeke

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
well i still remember the leafs that would never make the playoffs even with high draft selections on their roster like Kessel, Rielly, JVR, Kadri. I would take this over that pain any day lol. I think he developed our young core pretty well, especially defensively. It could have easily gone the way of the sabers or the oilers but thankfully it didnt.

He had his flaws but I'm grateful he was here for the first 2 years.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There's quite a bit of cancel culture around here in this thread. It's too bad.

Forgiveness: RIP

Mistakes: Never

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
The one thing I take away from Babcock's retelling of his side of the story is that while it appears contrite, it also has remarkably strong manipulative undertones so forgive me if I roll my eyes in response.
This guy has a history of behaviours that mirror those of a sociopath.
I believe there's still a place for strict and hardline coaching in hockey, but there's never a place for provoking dissention amongst the team by pitting players against their own teammates. It's counterproductive and reeks of an abusive and manipulative personality.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
For better or worse, Babcock was good for the organization.

He brought the Leafs a sense of credibility that had been sorely lacking.

Did he f*** up? Yes.

Did he do stupid stuff like play the corpse of Patrick Marleau more in a game seven than Auston Matthews, or make Mitch make a list? Yeah.

But...are we better off now than we were before he arrived? Yeah, we are.

And he'll absolutely get another job coaching somewhere if he wants to, but I am glad he's gone.

Reactions: ChickenMcNugget

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
What does getting paid millions have to do with anything? All men need to man up. Money doesnt give you any more reponsibility.

Disagree, you want to make the cash expect higher expectations, sad reality of the culture we live in
I don’t disagree...if I was making millions I’d expect much higher expectations for me...sorry but Babs had his low moments but these guys play a damn game and make more than most Surgeons to do so

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Disagree, you want to make the cash expect higher expectations, sad reality of the culture we live in
I don’t disagree...if I was making millions I’d expect much higher expectations for me...sorry but Babs had his low moments but these guys play a damn game and make more than most Surgeons to do so
And that is why there there is a shortage of real men these days. Its isnt about character and pride anymore.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

As an example Commodore make 13 million dollars in his NHL career...sorry I generally speaking don’t have a ton of sympathy for someone who can live 20 lives off the money they’ve made being sad about someone mistreating them

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Let me help you with that: he's absolutely the reason we had to overpay.

Not at all...guaranteed no agent went in the room and said “we had to deal with Babcock pony up”

Bunch of poor prima donnas being mistreated while earning more in a year than I’ll see in my life...like I said unfortunately I don’t feel for people who are set for 20 lives to play a game

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I grew old of Mike Babcock because he was to rigid and didn't adapt... and I didn't like the story coming out about all that shit. I think at first he helped but it was time for a change when it happened.

I saw earlier though in the thread... comparing babs to quinn or burns isn't right in my opinion.

Sure they were hard asses too... but it was a different time and they weren't from what I saw manipulative. They were just demanding but fair, and they wouldn't pull that shit.

The times are changing too... you don't coach kids now like you use to. Hate it or not... coaches need to adapt. It's a different day and age.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00