News Article: It's important to remember Babcock and all the good things he did.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Not at all...guaranteed no agent went in the room and said “we had to deal with Babcock pony up”

Bunch of poor prima donnas being mistreated while earning more in a year than I’ll see in my life...like I said unfortunately I don’t feel for people who are set for 20 lives to play a game

This is some very odd way of thinking. Any decent person shouldn't look at a persons bank statement to decide whether to care for another.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He crossed a fine-line selling Mitch out. I respect what he accomplished in his 2nd and 3rd year here. We haven't seen substantial progress since he left. Lou and Babs brought structure to this team. Hopefully moving on from them works out.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He wanted a better D core and never quite got it ect.
Even when Kyle Dubas made the trade for Jake Muzzin to improve their Defense the first thing Babcock said was how he's a left and said it in a sarcastic way.

I wonder if he would have said the same thing if Lou Lamoriello had traded for Ryan McDonagh at the 2018 trade deadline, because like Muzzin he was also a lefty.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Even when Kyle Dubas made the trade for Jake Muzzin to improve their Defense the first thing Babcock said was how he's a left and said it in a sarcastic way.

I wonder if he would have said the same thing if Lou Lamoriello had traded for Ryan McDonagh at the 2018 trade deadline, because like Muzzin he was also a lefty.

no he didn’t, this was disproved two days in another thread where the full quote and question was provided. People have been using that question to frame it about Muzzin.

the question that was asked was can you win with 5 left handed shots in the line up. He talked about Pittsburgh and how they made it work. The. He said, it isn’t perfect but we’ll try and make it work or whatever the other part of the quote was.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
And that is why there there is a shortage of real men these days. Its isnt about character and pride anymore.

Yeah, REAL men are egomaniacs who treat people like shit... and anyone who doesn't like it is a p***y. Look at what a tough manly man I am.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
He crossed a fine-line selling Mitch out. I respect what he accomplished in his 2nd and 3rd year here. We haven't seen substantial progress since he left. Lou and Babs brought structure to this team. Hopefully moving on from them works out.

I don’t know about a fine line, that seemed quite a ways offside to me but anyway.

2016-17 season was truly wonderful as a fan, the sky really did seem to be the limit, and Babcock deserves a lot of credit for getting that team into the playoffs with 9 rookies in the lineup or whatever it was. I’m not sure what progress there’s been since then. He did manage to cramp the offence at various times in an unsuccessful attempt to fix the defence, first round losses were the high water mark and last season almost went off the cliff with the poor start under him.

Now obviously we’ve seen since that all the problems weren’t down to Babcock, but he’d shot his bolt with this team and had to go.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I grew old of Mike Babcock because he was to rigid and didn't adapt... and I didn't like the story coming out about all that shit. I think at first he helped but it was time for a change when it happened.

I saw earlier though in the thread... comparing babs to quinn or burns isn't right in my opinion.

Sure they were hard asses too... but it was a different time and they weren't from what I saw manipulative. They were just demanding but fair, and they wouldn't pull that shit.

The times are changing too... you don't coach kids now like you use to. Hate it or not... coaches need to adapt. It's a different day and age.
There is a difference between being demanding or in your face to pulling the crap like what Babcock did to Modano/Commodore and what Keenan did to Hawerchuk.

Players loved Quinn/ Burns. People hate Babcock/Keenan because they're just A**holes.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don’t know about a fine line, that seemed quite a ways offside to me but anyway.

From what I understand, the reports really embellished what happened. Babcock did tell another player that Marner thought he was a bad example, which caused that player to ask Mitch about it, but it was a lot less insidious than what the article presented.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
From what I understand, the reports really embellished what happened. Babcock did tell another player that Marner thought he was a bad example, which caused that player to ask Mitch about it, but it was a lot less insidious than what the article presented.

Like you know. Unless your name is Steve Simons?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

2016-17 season was truly wonderful as a fan, the sky really did seem to be the limit, and Babcock deserves a lot of credit for getting that team into the playoffs with 9 rookies in the lineup or whatever it was. I’m not sure what progress there’s been since then. He did manage to cramp the offence at various times in an unsuccessful attempt to fix the defence, first round losses were the high water mark and last season almost went off the cliff with the poor start under him.

Now obviously we’ve seen since that all the problems weren’t down to Babcock, but he’d shot his bolt with this team and had to go.

The 15/16 season was also interesting to watch what he was able to do with a talent gutted team. The issues seemed to start more during the last couple years he was here

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Since Matthews/Marner:

Leafs w/Babs: 98pt pace, #28 expected goals against
Leafs w/Keefe: 103pt pace, #14 expected goals against

But aren't those the same numbers as Leafs with Sparks/Hutch as a backup vs Leafs with Campbell as a backup? Lets not confuse Dubas decisions with Babcock"s. Not trying to say its okay for the coach to tell his GM how to run the the team but it kind of looks like a Babcock lineup that started this season and a Dubas lineup that started last season. I don't know the ins and outs on how much system input a coach on a successful team has and its never been clear what hill Babcock chose to die on. What I do know is the GM runs the show and MB screwed up with the Marner thing and he is gone as a result and that makes sense. I do disagree with the HF couch coaches saying its Babs who lost back to back Bruins series when we all know it was Kadri that punched their ticket.

Babcocks brief 19-20 season doesn't define him as a Leafs coach, it defines his relationship with his GM. We need to be glad the club had a continuing problem in net or they would have won more last year and we would still be dealing with the toxic Dub/Babs relationship.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I remember being excited when he got hired.
Also remember being just as excited when he got fired.
It is what it is. Oh well.

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad