News Article: It's important to remember Babcock and all the good things he did.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Reactions: The Cobra

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I'm far less concerned with the specific "Marner incident", and more the pattern of abuse and lack of remorse. The only thing he said about Franzen made himself the victim, he only talked about how hurt he was and how much he champions the cause of mental health. No apology, no remorse, no word on how it affected the other party.

For a man who incessantly preaches being a good person, he's an awfully not-good person.

ECYCLE

Dec 19, 2011
The one thing I take away from Babcock's retelling of his side of the story is that while it appears contrite, it also has remarkably strong manipulative undertones so forgive me if I roll my eyes in response.

I believe there's still a place for strict and hardline coaching in hockey, but there's never a place for provoking dissention amongst the team by pitting players against their own teammates. It's counterproductive and reeks of an abusive and manipulative personality.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What were the good things, again? Losing 2 games 7s due in part to bad coaching decisions? Not making it past round 1 with 2 or 3 league stars on ELCs?

I don't hate the guy but not much positive to remember from his days here.

You must really see a lot of bad things in Keefe. His team didn't make the playoffs, and lost a play-in series due to bad coaching.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I have moved on from Babs just like I will move on from Shanny, Dubas and Keefe once they are fired.
The only man I haven't moved on from is: Pat Quinn sire. He did that. Yeah he did that. I still remember his games daily.

His team was always in the arena, tempestuous, strong, sometimes wrong, sometimes right,... but it was a real team and he was a man.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Babcock was absolutely a jerk and had an unpopular rigid way about his systems and roster management. But ultimately there was nothing controversial about his message to play a harder game, emphasize work ethic and that stuff.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The only man I haven't moved on from is: Pat Quinn sire. He did that. Yeah he did that. I still remember his games daily.

His team was always in the arena, tempestuous, strong, sometimes wrong, sometimes right,... but it was a real team and he was a man.

Same goes for Pat Burns' teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm far less concerned with the specific "Marner incident", and more the pattern of abuse and lack of remorse. The only thing he said about Franzen made himself the victim, he only talked about how hurt he was and how much he champions the cause of mental health. No apology, no remorse, no word on how it affected the other party.

For a man who incessantly preaches being a good person, he's an awfully not-good person.

Yup. I'm not impressed and if I was running a team, I wouldn't let him anywhere near my players.

Reactions: DivInit23

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
f*** off Bobcat. How many other NHLers have come out and told us that this guy is a complete POS. Did he also explain how he decided to bench/scratch Martin after that incident as he was one of the few guys to stand up for Marner. Don't believe a word this turd says.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Unpopular opinion here, but these men getting paid millions to play a sport need to man up. Tough love. Babcock was right, these guys need to learn to put in a consistent effort.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
I believe it is important to remember that that the straw for Babcock was that he wanted to get a team built for freewheeling high scoring games to play tight checking defense. Isn't that what we saw last night from Keefe? Play the hand your dealt or fold. Keefe could be going down a dangerous and losing path.

Reactions: rumman

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I have moved on from Babs just like I will move on from Shanny, Dubas and Keefe once they are fired.

I've moved on from Babcock too -- as well as Lou, Hunter, JFJ, Floyd Smith, Punch Imlach, Conn Smythe and everyone else in the rear-view mirror.

Shanny, Dubas and Keefe will all be gone and forgotten one day too, but until then I'll probably give them the benefit of the doubt if for nothing else to reconcile my hopes and wishes with my rooting interest in the Leafs.

Same goes for Pat Burns' teams.

The two Patty's were good. Burns' teams sure knew how to clear their own zone :)

Reactions: Lumberg and ToneDog

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I believe it is important to remember that that the straw for Babcock was that he wanted to get a team built for freewheeling high scoring games to play tight checking defense. Isn't that what we saw last night from Keefe? Play the hand your dealt or fold. Keefe could be going down a dangerous and losing path.
I think there's plenty of room for Keefe to develop a style of play that he's comfortable with for the Leafs -- one that includes offence, defence, special teams and work in all three zones.

No roster is perfect -- not even Team Canada's -- but the Leafs have plenty to work with to become competitive within their division and compete in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->