GDT: It's Been So Long Since We've Had a Game

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Rask had a good game and I'm weighing that against two bonehead plays. I take away the first because he should never be in that position to begin with anyway.

The second was just a rookie mistake. In that position you get it out of there ASAP.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I only watched the 'condensed game' on gamecenter for this one- still think Rask had a pretty solid game from what that showed even though that goal was very boneheaded. He and skinner were making a lot of good things happen on offense. Mostly though this was the most Carolina Hurricanes game that has ever Carolina Hurricaned

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I don't know if it was commented on as the game unfolded, but at one point Semin literally had the puck about 12-15 feet from the net and less than a 45 degree angle; in other words, a prime scoring position. He waited so long and couldn't decide what to do...and then drew a little bit of contact and decided to pass it back to the point. It was literally the most bewildered I've ever been watching a play unfold.

He is so bad right now, adding nothing to the team. He's on a completely different page than everyone else, and unfortunately that's not some kind of indirect compliment.

He's like the "Tiger Woods and chipping" of hockey right now.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
^ Yeah let's not go that far. He did assist on the only goal they scored by pulling down a shot that was probably 50/50 to get blocked and getting it back to the point.

I think he has the yips too but it's not like he's "adding nothing" as you claim.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
^ Yeah let's not go that far. He did assist on the only goal they scored by pulling down a shot that was probably 50/50 to get blocked and getting it back to the point.

I think he has the yips too but it's not like he's "adding nothing" as you claim.

What is his production relative to the average AHL call-up replacement level player? Can we quantify how much he's adding? How many points and SOG would we expect that player to have if given the same minutes and linemates?

Gleason's fight was Kostopoulos-esque. Fight when the other team needs a spark, lose terribly, have lots of ignorant fans cheer because GRIT.

Did this fight spark the Ducks? Was this the catalyst for their win?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Gleason's fight was Kostopoulos-esque. Fight when the other team needs a spark, lose terribly, have lots of ignorant fans cheer because GRIT.

Did he initiate it, or did he follow the "code" and indulge Jackman? Can't **** on a guy for answering the call, unless you want to go down the get rid of fighting path.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I don't know if it was commented on as the game unfolded, but at one point Semin literally had the puck about 12-15 feet from the net and less than a 45 degree angle; in other words, a prime scoring position. He waited so long and couldn't decide what to do...and then drew a little bit of contact and decided to pass it back to the point. It was literally the most bewildered I've ever been watching a play unfold.

He is so bad right now, adding nothing to the team. He's on a completely different page than everyone else, and unfortunately that's not some kind of indirect compliment.

He's like the "Tiger Woods and chipping" of hockey right now.

That sequence was crazy. The only thing I could think of was maybe the puck wouldn't quite settle for him. Which I assume is what happened about 20 seconds later when he had half an open net, but again couldn't seem to get the puck on his stick to pull the trigger.

He does seem bewildered out there. It's an odd thing to watch.

Really, it goes for most of the team though. They move out of their zone and up the ice like world champions, but once they get in the offensive zone, everything falls apart.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
What is his production relative to the average AHL call-up replacement level player? Can we quantify how much he's adding? How many points and SOG would we expect that player to have if given the same minutes and linemates?

For the season his production and level of play has been inexecusable. Since he's been back in the lineup most recently he hasn't been OK at worst. He still makes baffling decisions with the puck, but that isn't anything all that new even back to his time in Washington.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Did he initiate it, or did he follow the "code" and indulge Jackman? Can't **** on a guy for answering the call, unless you want to go down the get rid of fighting path.

Followed the code from the looks of it, and honestly, he shouldn't have in that case. Why should a guy like Gleason indulge someone that's getting by far (AINEC apropos here) the least ice time of any Ducks regular in a game where the Canes are just outright having their way with the Ducks? Shots were 24-7 before that, the Ducks didn't even have a legitimate high-quality scoring chance to that point in the game, and you drop the gloves with Jackman? Why? Why is he even worth Gleason's time in this instance?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

This is a few games old now, but:

7dNo4Gy.png

Does not take into account linemates/opposition, or zone starts, but does control for ice time.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Followed the code from the looks of it, and honestly, he shouldn't have in that case. Why should a guy like Gleason indulge someone that's getting by far (AINEC apropos here) the least ice time of any Ducks regular in a game where the Canes are just outright having their way with the Ducks? Shots were 24-7 before that, the Ducks didn't even have a legitimate high-quality scoring chance to that point in the game, and you drop the gloves with Jackman? Why? Why is he even worth Gleason's time in this instance?

I missed the 1st, but I heard Tripp reference Jackman "running" Ward. Was it something innocuous that didn't deserve any response or something that needed to be addressed?

Either way, not the time for the fight. Not sure how it's easier to blame a fight than to blame Bellemore for not being able to turn around on skates or Rask for turning the puck over into his own net.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Didn't see the run of Ward. I'm not blaming the fight in this case. It was that series of errors that resulted in the loss more then anything else. Those were two beer-league level mistakes and the Ducks predictably jumped on them.

I'm just questioning the logic of the fight at that point though. Don't give your opponent anything that might amp them up when you're that badly and absolutely in control of a game as a team.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
It's not like the momentum shifted after the fight. Yes, the Ducks scored two goals after the fight, but one was a simple gaffe by Bellemore (even though he tied up the trailer on the play and it was the 3rd Duck that banged in the rebound) and the other was Rask just freezing after gaining possession in front of Ward. There was no "push." Shots were still lopsided. Canes pushed. They just couldn't get one past Gibson.

A guy going to the net at all times would help. So many one shot, one save situations. Nobody is ever headed to the net to crash and get rebounds.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's not like the momentum shifted after the fight. Yes, the Ducks scored two goals after the fight, but one was a simple gaffe by Bellemore (even though he tied up the trailer on the play and it was the 3rd Duck that banged in the rebound) and the other was Rask just freezing after gaining possession in front of Ward. There was no "push." Shots were still lopsided. Canes pushed. They just couldn't get one past Gibson.

A guy going to the net at all times would help. So many one shot, one save situations. Nobody is ever headed to the net to crash and get rebounds.

That's why I think Nash is a better fit as a C with Lindholm and Skinner. He's much more likely to mix it up out front than Rask is.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
So, pretty much the whole discussion around him in a nutshell: good corsi, poor production.

Pretty much, yeah. And Jeff Skinner is the opposite while still receiving criticism (last night aside). Truthfully, no one else in the top 9 is doing too spectacular this year in terms of production at 5 on 5.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'm just questioning the logic of the fight at that point though. Don't give your opponent anything that might amp them up when you're that badly and absolutely in control of a game as a team.

That's the whole idea of the "code". If the roles were reversed, Jackman should drop em. I don't think it had anything to do with the outcome of the game anyway, so I don't mind it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Did this fight spark the Ducks? Was this the catalyst for their win?

Well, aside from the Peters quote earlier saying that the Canes stopped playing after that fight, there was these quotes by the Ducks post-game:

Three minutes later, a fight between Ducks forward Tim Jackman and Hurricanes defenseman Tim Gleason seemed to jump start Anaheim.

"That really turned the tide," Ducks forward Corey Perry said. "That was probably the perfect time to do it because he got the ball rolling."

So yeah, I'd say that was the wrong move by Gleason.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
This is a few games old now, but:

Does not take into account linemates/opposition, or zone starts, but does control for ice time.

Yes, I remember you posted this a while back now...thanks for sharing again.

Those on-ice corsi numbers for Semin are misleading...check out his zone starts...63% in the o-zone...by far the highest on the team.

So...is he adding to the team...statistically he is a player getting first line minutes and yielding replacement level production.

If Nemisz or LaRose were swapped for Semin, I doubt the Canes record would be any worse.

bluedevil58*

Yes, I remember you posted this a while back now...thanks for sharing again.

Those on-ice corsi numbers for Semin are misleading...check out his zone starts...63% in the o-zone...by far the highest on the team.

So...is he adding to the team...statistically he is a player getting first line minutes and yielding replacement level production.

If Nemisz or LaRose were swapped for Semin, I doubt the Canes record would be any worse.

GIF-chloe-concerned-confused-girl-kid-look-say-what-side-eye-side-eyeing-suspicious-think-thinking-GIF.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad