It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia S12

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Nothing I'm sure, the new show looks pretty awful and I doubt she is going to leave her husbands show for a different one that has little chance of not getting canceled. She can probably do both with no problem at all anyway
From what I've seen of it she also plays the exact same character as Sweet Dee. I doubt she would leave It's Always Sunny.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Yesterdays episode was quite possibly the best written It's Always Sunny yet. Amazing how well they can use fundamentally horrible, irredeemable people to make sharp political points.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Liked the episode but found it difficult to digest because it was in song.

Generally don't like musicals etc.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah there were some good jokes in there but the musical thing ruined it for me, hate gimmicky episodes.

Also knew that the whole thing was a dream or something from the get-go though it being old black man's dream was surprising lol.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wow, just watched the first ep of the season...absolutely terrible I thought.

They really bombed on what could have been the potential for a HILARIOUS ep.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Heads up, Kaitlin Olson is in a pretty funny new sitcom on Fox called The Mick. She's basically playing a light version of Dee.

It's not gonna be anything special but thought it was better than this season's Always Sunny debut.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yesterdays episode was quite possibly the best written It's Always Sunny yet. Amazing how well they can use fundamentally horrible, irredeemable people to make sharp political points.

All I can really say is..."The Gang Finally Wins an Award."

P.S. A lot of you are missing the meat of this episode. :)

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
haha I love being told I "missed" something or "don't get it". No I didn't miss anything, I just didn't like it. You are free to like it.

Jan 3, 2012
Liked the episode but found it difficult to digest because it was in song.

Generally don't like musicals etc.

Yeah there were some good jokes in there but the musical thing ruined it for me, hate gimmicky episodes.

Also knew that the whole thing was a dream or something from the get-go though it being old black man's dream was surprising lol.

Wow, just watched the first ep of the season...absolutely terrible I thought.

They really bombed on what could have been the potential for a HILARIOUS ep.

Basically this.

They needed to do away with the musical part, and just be more into the humor. You could see the entire time they were so touchy with racial stereotyping cause didn't want to offend people.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I guess when they branch out with weird creative episodes like this, they'll typically get mixed reviews.

That was one of my favourite Sunny episodes of all time.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I guess when they branch out with weird creative episodes like this, they'll typically get mixed reviews.

That was one of my favourite Sunny episodes of all time.

When you do something like that, you are going to polarize. I laughed a few times but being in song for most just made it a venue that I don't particularly enjoy.

My favorite episode of all time is the Anti-Social Network, but other greats are the gang tries to win an award, Dennis system, North Korea crisis, Frank gets an intervention, gang runs for office, any episode with the Lawyer

I think those episodes tend to hit perfectly with social commentary, the gang being low life pieces of **** and edgy humor.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Count me among those who didn't care for the episode

It was a promising idea, but it felt rushed and poorly executed

I laughed twice though. Once when Dennis was singing about the rules and the gang's reaction to him. The 2nd time was when the nursing home manager told Scott Bakula to "leap on up to the 3rd floor. Someone **** all over the dining hall"

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My general feeling about It's Always Sunny is that they never create anything brilliant and flawless anymore like they did in the first 3-4 seasons, but considering that they're in their 12th season, the fact that they're able to do anything fun/interesting is super impressive.

For the most part, they seem to be trying to stretch their material by coming up with big fun appealing gimmicky concepts and relying heavily on that, and they do a halfway decent/sometimes really impressive job of executing it (this stretches all the way back to things like "The Gang Wins an Award", "Charlie Work", etc). I still like it as a guilty pleasure, but people calling these types of episodes their best written ones really do make me cringe a bit. It doesn't really feel organic anymore, and it's clear that the gimmicks are driving the material rather than the other way around (kind of like South Park), but you can't expect much more at this point-- at least it's still fun and hasn't gotten completely auto-pilot and unwatchable or anything.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My general feeling about It's Always Sunny is that they never create anything brilliant and flawless anymore like they did in the first 3-4 seasons, but considering that they're in their 12th season, the fact that they're able to do anything fun/interesting is super impressive.

For the most part, they seem to be trying to stretch their material by coming up with big fun appealing gimmicky concepts and relying heavily on that, and they do a halfway decent/sometimes really impressive job of executing it (this stretches all the way back to things like "The Gang Wins an Award", "Charlie Work", etc). I still like it as a guilty pleasure, but people calling these types of episodes their best written ones really do make me cringe a bit. It doesn't really feel organic anymore, and it's clear that the gimmicks are driving the material rather than the other way around (kind of like South Park), but you can't expect much more at this point-- at least it's still fun and hasn't gotten completely auto-pilot and unwatchable or anything.

It's at the point where you get 2-3 amazing episodes per season, then the other ones are just okay for the standard they set, which is better than pretty much all other active comedies out there.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I re watched the episode again last night. So many good parts, especially Bachula getting to sing.

That, Charlie being interviewed, and Mac and Dennis waiting for the cops to show up in the interview room were fantastic.

Not to mention I keep hymning the what are the rules song damnit.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's at the point where you get 2-3 amazing episodes per season, then the other ones are just okay for the standard they set, which is better than pretty much all other active comedies out there.
"Amazing" is way stronger than what I would call it, but conceptually daring, at least. And I wouldn't go as far as better than all other comedies. The bottom spectrum of an It's Always Sunny episode is still pretty lame compared to the average episode of one of the good comedies airing.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
"Amazing" is way stronger than what I would call it, but conceptually daring, at least. And I wouldn't go as far as better than all other comedies. The bottom spectrum of an It's Always Sunny episode is still pretty lame compared to the average episode of one of the good comedies airing.

Which good comedies are still airing? Silicon Valley and Curb Your Enthusiasm is back.

Last season had: Frank Falls Out the Window, Mac & Dennis Move to the Suburbs, McPoyle v. Ponderosa: The Trial of the Century, and Charlie Catches a Leprechaun

Season 10: The Gang Beats Boggs, The Gang Group Dates, Mac Kills His Dad, The Gang goes on Family Fight

Season 9: Gun Fever Still Too Hot, The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award, Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare, Mac Day

Season 8: Charlie and Dee Find Love, The Gang Recycles Their Trash, The Gang Gets Analyzed, Reynolds v. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense

I can go on and on.. they are still hitting with amazing episodes this many seasons in. We will see how 11 goes, the start has been disappointing, but others like it.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

I'm pretty much the opposite. I enjoyed the first few seasons, but the show only became one of my favourites around season 5ish, once they all started turning into caricatures of themselves. If I made a list of my top 10 episodes, I think almost all of them would be from the 2nd half of the shows airing.

The fans of the show in general seem to be pretty evenly split between my opinion and yours. Look at this episodes thread on the subreddit, you'll see many claiming one of the best of all time, and many claiming one of the worse of all time.

You cringe at some reactions to the latest episodes, but people like me cringe when people praise the first few seasons so much.

I agree with the poster that said there's a few duds each season. But I think it's always been that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad