Pre-Game Talk: It's a show about nothing! (Nobody, Nobody, @Nobody)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Unpopular take: The complete implosion of the Devils the last two seasons makes an even stronger case for Hall's MVP win over MacKinnon. Pretty obvious that without Hall's heroics (and even semi-competent goaltending) that is a truly horrendous team.

Reactions: TanguaySauce

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Unpopular take: The complete implosion of the Devils the last two seasons makes an even stronger case for Hall's MVP win over MacKinnon. Pretty obvious that without Hall's heroics (and even semi-competent goaltending) that is a truly horrendous team.

WaterloggedSpiritedIndianspinyloach-size_restricted.gif

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

Yet MacKinnon is probably going to get screwed out of another Hart because the voters decide to flip the criteria year by year.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Edmonton is in a playoff spot. As long as they are, McDavid will be the favorite for the Hart as voters will want to make up for the years they could not vote for him due to the Oilers not making the playoffs. If they make it, MacK (or anyone else) will have to outscore McDavid by a fair margin to take it away.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yet MacKinnon is probably going to get screwed out of another Hart because the voters decide to flip the criteria year by year.
The way I see it is voters really wanted to give it to McDavid every year but couldn't do it until the Oilers make the playoffs.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Who was the last player to win the Conn Smythe and the Calder the same year? :sarcasm:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Edmonton is only three points from being out of a playoff spot and they’ve had the 4th easiest strength of schedule so far. We should all be rooting they fall out of the playoff race down the stretch.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't think Sakic deserves GM of the year award unless Avs adopt a puppy. C'mon, a Saint Bernard puppy would be so obvious!!!
Quite the marketing opportunity for Rycroft. He could slap a Sobo label on a barrel of brandy and donate shots as part of the intermission entertainment.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree with the Bonk's Mullet guy on Twitter--GM of the Year is kinda stupid. You can't really acknowledge a GM's performance based on one year. It's even worse than trying to determine who the best coach is every year, which is also kind of a ridiculous practice when you think about it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Edmonton is only three points from being out of a playoff spot and they’ve had the 4th easiest strength of schedule so far. We should all be rooting they fall out of the playoff race down the stretch.

Screw that. I want them squeaking into the playoffs.

They'd be an easy first round opponent for us when we inevitably overtake the Blues in game 82 of the season for the division title.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I agree with the Bonk's Mullet guy on Twitter--GM of the Year is kinda stupid. You can't really acknowledge a GM's performance based on one year. It's even worse than trying to determine who the best coach is every year, which is also kind of a ridiculous practice when you think about it.

Just let us have it :laugh:

.....but I agree.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
The way I see it is voters really wanted to give it to McDavid every year but couldn't do it until the Oilers make the playoffs.

Gotta help manufacture that legacy.

Only 2 out of the last 10 JA winners are still with their teams. The most recent winner and Tortz. I think that says enough about the award.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

The trophy is for the GM who helped the most at building the current success of his team (over time). It's not which GM made the best moves this year.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The trophy is for the GM who helped the most at building the current success of his team (over time). It's not which GM made the best moves this year.

I get that, but it still feels rather nebulous. Honestly I think "Best GM" is almost as weird an award as "Best Owner." Obviously one guy has a greater role in day-to-day operations, but I still think there's too much to really quantify on a year-to-year basis. If indeed we're taking the GM who has done the most over the course of his tenure and not just this year, then invariably there should be some years where the award just plain doesn't get doled out.

It's just such a weird position to truly evaluate because it almost requires you and your team to be bad on purpose to begin with. There's also a TON of luck involved. I maintain that IMO the majority of NHL GMs are bad, and even the best ones can make absolutely horrible decisions.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Sakic won’t even sniff GM of the year until he changes our damn mascot.

These are the things I think about during long breaks lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad