Post-Game Talk: It’s Pulju, b*tch.

What surprised you the most about tonight's game?

• Total voters

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Overall, big win for the team. I hope a win like this pulls the team together.

JP had an amazing game. I think he creates a lot of chaos similar to Yamamoto but they do it in different ways. I dont think that JP really has the hands, but his size, reach, speed and tenacity make him a handful. The guy last night played with some physicality that we havent seen before. Hes starting to use his size and strength more. The one thing that I really liked about his game was just his ability to go to the front of the net and stay there. Too many players on this team go to the net, then drive past the net or just stay on the side. I think JP just going to the net while playing with McDavid will net him a lot of points.

I thought RNH looked pretty good with both McDavid and JP. I would keep him there for now. I think Kahun will get some points sooner than later. But I think could swap RNH and Kahun if things arent going well.

I hope that goal gives Turris some confidence. Hes been pretty dissapointing. I do think that Neal - Turris - Kassian looked better than the most of the third line has looked this year. That Lowry line is a handful though.

Fourth line still struggling. I see that Ennis has been put on waivers, he just hasnt looked right this year. I am guessing its injury related, he looked better last year with the team. I hope that we eventually go with Nygard - Haas - Archibald once Haas is healthy. I think the line will be able to hold their own without bleeding chances against like Ennis, Khaira and Shore seem to be this year.

Nurse and Bear had great games.

I like the calmness that Russell brings and I appreciate the potential of Larssons game. I think the way Larsson plays is really valuable for a team but honestly I just dont think the guy really has it anymore. The team really needs more transition on the back end. Larsson just struggles too much to get the puck out. Russell does a bit too but I sort of feel like he makes less bad mistakes in general. I think Russell and Barrie for the most part have got the job done. Hopefully with Ennis going on waivers, this will give Bouchard a shot.

The one thing really frustrating with this game was that the Oilers played a beautiful second period and then in the third they sat back, defended too much and quit skating. They really needed a win tonight but they made it way harder on themselves that they had to. At some point, you would really just like to see this team have a killer instinct but they seem to have way too many bad habits. The good teams in the league who make the playoff every year just seem to know how play and have consistent habits to win games. If they want to be a playoff, this team needs to start stringing some wins together. The second period showed that this team is capable of great things but they are super inconsistent.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Not sure what you mean. But if you’re trying to say that a turnover that happens when Nurse is on the bench, then yes it’s not his fault.

I'm not sure either. I wasn't entering the fancy stats debate. Just saying leading the team to wins on defense wasn't a thing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Barrie can be good on our PP. He's just so damn reluctant to shoot for some reason.

Talk about pressure. Playing with 2 of the games elite forwards on a PP that was historic. He likely doesn't want to screw up what made it successful and he maybe overthinking things out there. And while he has a good shot, it is no Bouch bomb!

I thought kass played great last night. Easily his best game of the year.

Same here, I figured that he would just go through the motions but he came to play and set Turris up for a huge goal for both Turris and the team. More games like that Kass!

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Talk about pressure. Playing with 2 of the games elite forwards on a PP that was historic. He likely doesn't want to screw up what made it successful and he maybe overthinking things out there. And while he has a good shot, it is no Bouch bomb!

Same here, I figured that he would just go through the motions but he came to play and set Turris up for a huge goal for both Turris and the team. More games like that Kass!
I think you’re right. The pressure and expectations are in his head too much. He just needs to play what comes natural.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn't mind seeing something like this on the PP:

------Neal-------
------------Drai
Barrie------McDavid
-------Nurse-----

Drai kind of floats from that down low spot and into the slot while Barrie unloads with that right-handed shot.

The Pens used to use Letang like that. More of a triggerman on the left side than a QB on the point.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
xl5VDpS.gif

F me this is awesome. He looks like he is just enjoying every second in the NHL.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
When Nurse and Bear play games like they did last night it is.

Of course. And winning helps.

I was responding to people claiming nurse haters can suck it. When imo the team was eating ass....so criticism was valid if even for venting.

Premature panic....maybe...but its not like everyone was roses because people were panicking either.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He's not the Brossoit that he was here. His confidence has rebounded and he's not a bad backup by any means. Also seems like he really gets up to play against the Oilers.

Yeah Brossoit looked awful here. I dont know what it was but he was super erratic in net. He really looked like he struggled tracking the puck. I didnt see that so much last night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's not the Brossoit that he was here. His confidence has rebounded and he's not a bad backup by any means. Also seems like he really gets up to play against the Oilers.

Disagree. I think its perspective. When he's in your own net his weak ass butterfly drives me crazy. If he's in Jets net I don't mind his form is terrible. He's a goalie with not good enough flexibility and size to be ideal. Watch him down on the ice. Lots of times his butterfly is not legs outstretched but lazily avoiding the stretching for greater width. Most goalies have pretty unique flexibility and both their legs 180 to either side. Brossoit is either capable of that or can't hold that for much time. This effects everything, how much ice he cover, his goal post seals, his mobility.

He struggles at a primary aspect of goaltendng and its weird to see. I constantly see him relaxing from full butterfly. He even does that on shots from the point, rebound situations. Thats just allowing more space for pucks to go in.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I think Barrie can be good on our PP. He's just so damn reluctant to shoot for some reason.

Yeah, it's been 7 games. It's fair to make judgements on guys like Chiasson and Khaira who are delivering the same old shit as before, but Turris and Barrie in particular deserve some patience.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We need Nurse right now more then ever. He’s the only tough SOB we have left back there now that Larsson has become pretty much useless.

I've always been a Nurse fan. I like my D ornery. Darnell obviously fits that bill to a tee. He's not a bit part here either and I could never understand people wanting him traded or not resigned. He's an alpha on this team and letter or not he's a big part of it. He's one of those personalities in a room that is larger than life and that helps define your team.

Whether he's taking Marners head off, pile driving Gallagher, throttling another Leaf, or staring down Wheeler his take no prisoners attitude says "no shit happening while I'm on watch"

Anybody that has played the game knows that even pregame both teams fairly recognize who the cops are, and who is likely the alpha. Usually doesnt even take a fight to establish that, just a known. Nobody even wants to fight Darnell at this point. He backs people right off. But when that happens its more than just a standoff, its a surrender. When that occurs on ice its a bigger thing than Nurse bolting up and intimidating Blake Wheeler. Everybody on both benches sees it, knows it, knows what it is.

Make no mistake Darnell is taking a ton of liberties this season, almost every game, and no opponent is dealing with him or even wants to. Think about it. He put Gallaghers head into the boards, and no Hab was willing or able to take him on. Gallagher would be one of the most protected players on a club and nothing happened.

Darnell is owning alpha right now. Knocking it out of the ballpark. He's probably the gunslinger in the whole Northern conference. Nobody wants high noon with him.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I wouldn't mind seeing something like this on the PP:

------Neal-------
------------Drai
Barrie------McDavid
-------Nurse-----

Drai kind of floats from that down low spot and into the slot while Barrie unloads with that right-handed shot.

The Pens used to use Letang like that. More of a triggerman on the left side than a QB on the point.

I'd prefer to keep Nuge on the 1st unit, but maybe a 2nd unit based around Puljujarvi in the Ovi-spot, Nuge back on the half wall as the primary passer, Yamamoto in front of the net, Kahun/Turris/McDavid, and Bouchard/Bear on the point could take up half of the PP minutes and ease the load on the 1st unit. We finally have enough offensive depth to do it.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'd prefer to keep Nuge on the 1st unit, but maybe a 2nd unit based around Puljujarvi in the Ovi-spot, Nuge back on the half wall as the primary passer, Yamamoto in front of the net, Kahun/Turris/McDavid, and Bouchard/Bear on the point could take up half of the PP minutes and ease the load on the 1st unit. We finally have enough offensive depth to do it.

Honestly, maybe we should have 2 units where McDavid and Draisaitl are on both, and we rotate the other 3 players. Like RNH-Neal-Barrie on one and JP-Yama-Nurse on the other or some mix and match combo of those players.

Reactions: ujju2 and 3IR

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I went to bed after the first lol looks like I missed an epic 2nd and good finish to the 3rd lol, Poolparty makes that top line way more dangerous than Kassian. And Kassian playing where he should be, sounds like pre-season is over and they've mostly got the lines figured out finally lol.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly, maybe we should have 2 units where McDavid and Draisaitl are on both, and we rotate the other 3 players. Like RNH-Neal-Barrie on one and JP-Yama-Nurse on the other or some mix and match combo of those players.
Do it like they do in Novice and Atom, just open the door. Next 3 guys out.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

This is what I'd like to see.

or even two separate units with two different strategies. It might not be a bad idea to be able to mix it up when every game this year is within the division and teams only have to study one PP strategy against us.

----Neal----
JP ---- Mcdavid
Barrie -- Nurse

----Chiasson----
Yam ---- Drai
RNH--- Bear/Bouch

First unit has a two one timer options for Mcdavid on the left side, while also having a good mix of guys who can win board battles and move the puck quickly.

Second unit has the one time option from Drai to Yam, as well as RNH to Drai, with a big RH point shot as well. Chiasson is obviously the weak link here, but could be swapped out for Kassian maybe.

I also feel like Drai and Mcdavid are both at their best in that same spot on the PP.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I've always been a Nurse fan. I like my D ornery. Darnell obviously fits that bill to a tee. He's not a bit part here either and I could never understand people wanting him traded or not resigned. He's an alpha on this team and letter or not he's a big part of it. He's one of those personalities in a room that is larger than life and that helps define your team.

Whether he's taking Marners head off, pile driving Gallagher, throttling another Leaf, or staring down Wheeler his take no prisoners attitude says "no shit happening while I'm on watch"

Anybody that has played the game knows that even pregame both teams fairly recognize who the cops are, and who is likely the alpha. Usually doesnt even take a fight to establish that, just a known. Nobody even wants to fight Darnell at this point. He backs people right off. But when that happens its more than just a standoff, its a surrender. When that occurs on ice its a bigger thing than Nurse bolting up and intimidating Blake Wheeler. Everybody on both benches sees it, knows it, knows what it is.

Make no mistake Darnell is taking a ton of liberties this season, almost every game, and no opponent is dealing with him or even wants to. Think about it. He put Gallaghers head into the boards, and no Hab was willing or able to take him on. Gallagher would be one of the most protected players on a club and nothing happened.

Darnell is owning alpha right now. Knocking it out of the ballpark. He's probably the gunslinger in the whole Northern conference. Nobody wants high noon with him.
Being an aggressive alpha is nice, but he needs to stop making bad decisions with the puck, forced or otherwise. For a guy making his kind of coin and likely looking for a whole lot more on the next contract, there has to be some improvement.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Being an aggressive alpha is nice, but he needs to stop making bad decisions with the puck, forced or otherwise. For a guy making his kind of coin and likely looking for a whole lot more on the next contract, there has to be some improvement.

Thats fair. But what the Oilers are currently paying Darnell is their own consequence of making Darnell "show me" for a contract and then having to pay for it. The Oilers gambled wrong, and they lost. They could have locked up Darnell longterm instead of doing such stupid shit as overpaying Koskinen or Kassian. Darnell ought to have been a priority. The team was even giving him the most minutes.

In anycase the Oilers could have been paying Nurse what they pay Larsson, who is a far worse player, and waste of money.

Improvement is harder for a D that has always been leaned on to hard and sometimes without adequate D pair, or 1st pairing D here or somebody to emulate. If DArnell Nurse was watching any elite D play here every day he would be a much better defender.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

That look he gave Wheeler in the game last night on the PK lmfaaaooo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad