Salary Cap: Issue with State Tax

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
It is widely known states like Texas and Florida offer an advantage due to more dollars in the pocket.

Ex: Gourde recently signed for an AAV of 5.166 Million (a 60 point rookie season player). This would never happen here in Toronto, cue #29.

What as fans can we do to urge the NHL to prorate the salary cap to be the same regardless of tax jurisdiction?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It is widely known states like Texas and Florida offer an advantage due to more dollars in the pocket.

Ex: Gourde recently signed for an AAV of 5.166 Million (a 60 point rookie season player). This would never happen here in Toronto, cue #29.

What as fans can we do to urge the NHL to prorate the salary cap to be the same regardless of tax jurisdiction?
Write to the NHL offices expressing your views.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

It is long over due for the NHL to level the playing field. It's ludicrous that our Leafs have to pay into revenue sharing and compete with teams located in tax free states to sign players.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Taxes are paid in the cities, counties and States where they earn the money, so it’s not as cut and dry as you think.

I live in TN and I earn income primarily in Tennessee , Arkansas, Maryland, DC/ Virginia and Florida and have to file state income tax in each of those states (not DC).

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Wouldn’t it be wiser to lobby for lower the taxes in Ontario? Do they have provincial taxes in Alberta?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Taxes are paid in the cities, counties and States where they earn the money, so it’s not as cut and dry as you think.

I live in TN and I earn income primarily in Tennessee , Arkansas, Maryland, DC/ Virginia and Florida and have to file state income tax in each of those states (not DC).

With revenue sharing, I think a case could be made that all players are paid at least a portion of their salaries from a centralized location.

I think you’d also need to clarify exactly what the players are paid for. Do they get paid only for the number of games they play? If so, then half of their money is earned on the road, and they pay the taxes of their opponents’ state. Do they get paid to practice? Media appearances? Travel?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
How exactly do you mitigate this? Who is going to pay the taxes in a state/province to make the salaries equivalent.

The CRA/IRS will laugh at the suggestion that millionaire athletes get a massive tax credit to make a hockey league more equal.

Owners sure arent going to want to pay extra in Ontario. Sure maybe a super rich team like Toronto would, but small market Canadian cities paying an extra premium on top of salaries in USD.

Won't work.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
With revenue sharing, I think a case could be made that all players are paid at least a portion of their salaries from a centralized location.

I think you’d also need to clarify exactly what the players are paid for. Do they get paid only for the number of games they play? If so, then half of their money is earned on the road, and they pay the taxes of their opponents’ state. Do they get paid to practice? Media appearances? Travel?

This is incorrect from a tax point of view. The revenue for a player is generated via the team they play for, which is based out of a certain jurisdiction. So that tax is payable there.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They are paid for 186 days of work.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
You don’t think these guys have tax write offs? In the end it’s probably a wash

Yes and let's not forget, these guys are all very well compensated and if there are smart with their money should be making 8%-10% compounded on their after tax earnings which again, unless they are foolish, they should be set up for multiple lifetimes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Nothing.

Reactions: Dr.Funk

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Write to the NHL offices expressing your views.
Bettman doesn't care as he likes the Cup to be in American hands. American teams in the stanley cup finals = better TV ratings = better TV deals = more money for the owners.

So why would NHL GMs with an advantage, voluntarily give that up ? To be fair ? No.

The only hope is that Rob Ford lowers the Taxation for professional hockey players in Ontario as a populist move.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Bettman doesn't care as he likes the Cup to be in American hands. American teams in the stanley cup finals = better TV ratings = better TV deals = more money for the owners.

So why would NHL GMs with an advantage, voluntarily give that up ? To be fair ? No.

The only hope is that Rob Ford lowers the Taxation for professional hockey players in Ontario as a populist move.
Rob Ford?

Reactions: kb

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Don’t disagree.
However, the question was what can you do as a fan.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Don’t disagree.
However, the question was what can you do as a fan.
Market the issue to Doug Ford as an unfair advantage to American hockey teams and that Ontarians want fair hockey while enjoying buck a beers.
:pcheer:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad