Rumor: Isles up offer for Athanasiou

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could Otto Koivula be a target? Don’t know much about him or how the Islanders value him but at 21 and a big 6’4 center he could fit in well with the rest of our young core. He’s up to 52 points in 81 AHL games after playing a few seasons in the finish league.

Coulf be a target but I don't see much else than another Sheahan in him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think the need for a #1 defenseman has cooled a little since the emergence of Apple Seider.

Also I wouldn't worry about LhDs and goalies. Free agent market is usually full of options.

And we have Albert Johansson in the system, and who knows if Cholowski can turn his defensive issues out.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
this team is on pace to score 179 goals,that's 20 less than the lowest in the league last year

no a guy who scored 30 last year isn't "expendable" for this team

You posted this in another thread, but I felt this was a more appropriate place to discuss this.

The question is not if or if not the Wings need to replace AA next season, next season is irrelevant. Every decision the Wings make is about the development of our players, and getting this team to where it needs to be in a few years to compete for a championship. When it comes to AA specifically, Yzerman needs to decide if having AA on this roster at at (my guess being about 7.5mil/season) is where he wants to spend his money. If yes, dont trade him, sign him long term. If the answer is no, trade him. Now I could be wrong about the 7.5mil, and if this season continues to be awful for him, this could change things. With all that said, if we want to keep him it actually may be best case for AA to continue this awful season, then re-sign at a more affordable rate.

Reactions: Boud

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You posted this in another thread, but I felt this was a more appropriate place to discuss this.

The question is not if or if not the Wings need to replace AA next season, next season is irrelevant. Every decision the Wings make is about the development of our players, and getting this team to where it needs to be in a few years to compete for a championship. When it comes to AA specifically, Yzerman needs to decide if having AA on this roster at at (my guess being about 7.5mil/season) is where he wants to spend his money. If yes, dont trade him, sign him long term. If the answer is no, trade him. Now I could be wrong about the 7.5mil, and if this season continues to be awful for him, this could change things. With all that said, if we want to keep him it actually may be best case for AA to continue this awful season, then re-sign at a more affordable rate.

I don't want AA to stay if he gets 6 or more a season as he does not provide that value. Limited offence and even more limited defence or other intangibles that make him worth that. Any team spending that much on AA is going to regret it, unless he scores 30 goals and 50+ points and even then it would be hard to justify 7+ a season for a player like AA. People hated the 7 that Evander Kane got, but he puts up the same and more offence and hits and plays aggressively.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't want AA to stay if he gets 6 or more a season as he does not provide that value. Limited offence and even more limited defense or other intangibles that make him worth that. Any team spending that much on AA is going to regret it, unless he scores 30 goals and 50+ points and even then it would be hard to justify 7+ a season for a player like AA. People hated the 7 that Evander Kane got, but he puts up the same and more offence and hits and plays aggressively.

Ya its hard to say for sure what a player will want, but the numbers are seeming to trend upwards every year for RFA's, and if AA can regain his form and score close to 30 again, this is what I see him asking for (or at least between 6.5 and 7.5). Either way, I see AA asking for top dollar from the Wings, and I think Yzerman know this, I would be shocked if AA is a Wing come October.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm high on Noah Dobson.
Isles wouldn't move Dobson at last season's TDL to land Stone. He was in juniors then and is now contributing on the nyi roster.

Press said that the isles pursued Hoffman at last season's TDL, but refused to move Sorokin for him. We are now reading that Sorokin wants to join the nhl and will come over this summer.

Arthur Staple gave a recent fan Q & A and according to Staple Dobson/Walhstrom/Sorokin are Lou's untouchables.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Sorry guys, but we aren't getting Dobson. 0% chance the Isles move Dobson for AA.

Would Isles fans do 1 for 1, Pulock for AA?
No.

Media is saying Arizona is the frontrunner for Hall,but balking at moving solid prospect Balh in the deal. Imo Wilde+ 1st is a stronger return then Balh +1st.
No team is moving a Dobson type prospect for a rental.

I think the isles will be able to add scoring without moving a quality, 25 yr old RHD like Pulock.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No interest in what New York would likely offer straight up for AA.

But I wonder if there's an additional piece(s) Detroit would be willing to package with AA, to then remove Dobson from the untouchables list in return. It would have to be substantial, and would be very tricky to find anything both parties agreed to...

...but if there's a deal to be had, I'd love me some Noah Dobson helping this blue line for years to come.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Hall to PHX for FRP, Conditional DP and prospects. All for a rental as his agent has confirmed he will test his UFA market in the off-season.

NJ is tanking proper getting nothing of "now" value in return for Hall.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hall moving this early is probably good becaue AA could be the next best winger that ends up on the market at the trade deadline. Could help drive the price up for him a bit without the big fish for others to land

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Hall got a 1st as a rental, then what is AA worth? Not feeling like he's going to garner much return. Might better hold on to him and hope he scores some points and fixes his +/- next season.

I like AA better than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If Hall got a 1st as a rental, then what is AA worth? Not feeling like he's going to garner much return. Might better hold on to him and hope he scores some points and fixes his +/- next season.

I like AA better than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
AA might be half the player Hall is so everyone can make a decent guess. Whoever trades for AA has no clue what he'll do after his agent asks for way too much money but at least AA is a RFA compared to UFA Hall.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Plenty of season to rebound & with more 3rd line TOI/linemates his production will go down, but not too much, since he's getting easier matchups & doesn't use his linemates as well as most Top 6'ers do. However, w/lesser QOC, he'll be "freed up" to do his cherry-picking & hopefully pile up G's. He's on pace for 42pts (.516ppg)...That only 4 pts off (16 vs. 20) a 53pt season pace (last years production).

While the G's may be less this year, I think he finishes with ~45pts pace...good enough for 2nd & 3rd @TDL or late 1st?

Kreider & AA are currently the best W's available @ TDL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad