Rumor: Isles up offer for Athanasiou

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Could Otto Koivula be a target? Don’t know much about him or how the Islanders value him but at 21 and a big 6’4 center he could fit in well with the rest of our young core. He’s up to 52 points in 81 AHL games after playing a few seasons in the finish league.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I doubt Isles fans wanna move Dobson for AA 1:1, but their GM might. We shouldn't be adding a pick unless it's for an established youngish D/C. Dobson isn't Makar, still kinda unproven. Besides, he's a RHS, so unless he can play LD just as effectively, he'd be behind Hronek & Seider. I say this as someone who wanted us to draft Dobson until Zadina fell to 6th. Bouchard was my 2nd choice. After last night, I'm as excited as the day Zadina was drafted. If anything he's more of a playmaker w/a great shot, more complete game than 1yr ago for sure.

The problem is if you want to get someone who is established, the price tag goes up significantly. Your best bet is to trade for someone you believe will be that guy, before he becomes that guy.

Also, when I say throw in a pick, I don't mean a 1st rounder.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The problem is if you want to get someone who is established, the price tag goes up significantly. Your best bet is to trade for someone you believe will be that guy, before he becomes that guy.

Also, when I say throw in a pick, I don't mean a 1st rounder.
Yeah, that's kinda what I meant, but didn't phrase it properly. Someone who is on the cusp of breaking out, but already in the NHL showing upward trajectory & good advanced stats is really what I should've said.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Guys the linked rumor literally said they wanted AA because they didn't want to give up Dobson for Hall.

So if you're giving this any credence, no, you're not getting Dobson.

I don’t think they’d move Dobson for AA...but pending UFA seeking huge deal vs 3 years club control makes a huge difference in what teams may be willing to sacrifice. And Yzerman is a wizard when it comes to trades but yeah not likely

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
AA + Green (Trotz might be tempted if we keep a lot of salary on this one, knows his game and Green knows his system already, we surely only be expected to contribute bottom pairing minutes as well)
<>
Wahlstrom + Something else.

I would do that. Don't know whether NYI will do though.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
AA + Green (Trotz might be tempted if we keep a lot of salary on this one, knows his game and Green knows his system already, we surely only be expected to contribute bottom pairing minutes as well)
<>
Wahlstrom + Something else.

I would do that. Don't know whether NYI will do though.
AA+Green (both 50% retention) for Dobson & 2nd seems fair. Isles have a real shot at the cup this year.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
AA+Green (both 50% retention) for Dobson & 2nd seems fair. Isles have a real shot at the cup this year.

I do wonder if we can do something clever with AA's contract + Retention, say we sign him too a 5mil/3yrs deal before trading him at 50% retention.

That cap space hit is gonna be small potatoes over the duration of that contract but having a 30 goal capable player on a 2.5mil cap hit could be absolutely invaluable too a contender.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I do wonder if we can do something clever with AA's contract + Retention, say we sign him too a 5mil/3yrs deal before trading him at 50% retention.

That cap space hit is gonna be small potatoes over the duration of that contract but having a 30 goal capable player on a 2.5mil cap hit could be absolutely invaluable too a contender.

If AA thinks he's being shopped I'm going to guess that getting him signed will be nigh impossible.

Bet its Dal Colle and a pick... not sure i like that, even if it's a late first.

Wouldn't be a huge fan, but if we're dealing AA I think it gets hard to beat nearly any offer containing a 1st. Maybe Yzerman takes the first and is able to flip it for a D somewhere.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I think Hall needs to be the first domino to fall. He'll set the market, price, etc. Obviously AA is a decent, younger, cheaper 2nd option. There seems to be only so many teams that are actually in sell mode and AA might be really attractive to teams like Oilers/Panthers/Sabres/Canadians/Bruins(maybe)/Avs/Coyotes/Blues and more teams on the fringe that might come in. The trick for Yzerman will be getting a player for AA imo. Wings can get a 1st rounder or 1st round value I think for him, but what Red Wings really need more than a late 1st round pick is a #1 defensemen and I don't see many top tier playoff teams willing to part with one of their top defenders going into a playoff run.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think Hall needs to be the first domino to fall. He'll set the market, price, etc. Obviously AA is a decent, younger, cheaper 2nd option. There seems to be only so many teams that are actually in sell mode and AA might be really attractive to teams like Oilers/Panthers/Sabres/Canadians/Bruins(maybe)/Avs/Coyotes/Blues and more teams on the fringe that might come in. The trick for Yzerman will be getting a player for AA imo. Wings can get a 1st rounder or 1st round value I think for him, but what Red Wings really need more than a late 1st round pick is a #1 defensemen and I don't see many top tier playoff teams willing to part with one of their top defenders going into a playoff run.

I think the need for a #1 defenseman has cooled a little since the emergence of Apple Seider.

Reactions: Henkka

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah I'm not going to argue too much about Seider cause he looks good. But I'm not real sure he's going to step in and be the next Rob Blake we all want him to be. He'll be 19 next year. BRIGHT FUTURE! Definately, I think he'll be on the team next year. Just don't see a guy on the left side we have that'll be ready next year outside of DeKeyser and he's a little underwhelming on a top line(Though DeKeyser actually played well this year before getting injured. )

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
You hope for a 1st and anything else is icing on the cake.

AA is a shiny toy that loses it's appeal after a while. Good hockey players will grow tired of his bad habit of doing it all himself. Bad habits can be broken though, but that would include AA eating a big piece of humble pie.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Nyquist>AA and what did we got for him ? Late second and third

Nyquist was also older and a UFA. These things kind of matter.
I would argue Nyquist > Tatar, and look what we got for him. 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
Age and contract status matter.

Reactions: hkydave04

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Is there a reason why everybody and their dog is ragging Anthanisiou but Larkin receives a free pass from the fanbase for his poor play? AA is obviously still affected by his injury anyways. Guy was electric and scored 30 with dogshit linemates. Do not sell the guy short.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Is there a reason why everybody and their dog is ragging Anthanisiou but Larkin receives a free pass from the fanbase for his poor play? AA is obviously still affected by his injury anyways. Guy was electric and scored 30 with dog**** linemates. Do not sell the guy short.

Because Larkin earlier this year was putting up a PPG. He's fallen off as team has fallen off and Mantha got hurt so the one thing on the damn team that worked is broken down.
Because Larkin faces literally the toughest matchups of anyone on the roster because he plays so much and AA faces third line competition.
Because even with a 12 game losing streak and being on the ice an average of 21 mins, Larkin is -9 and in weaker situations AA is -33.
Because Larkin has shown over the last couple years that he's still developing to something and is 23

There are many reasons why Dylan Larkin will get more of a pass than Andreas Athanasiou. And AA's play was crappy when the team was actually playing okay at the start of the year. The team as a whole is taking a collective crap at center ice right now.

But sure, everyone is just mean to Athanasiou.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Is there a reason why everybody and their dog is ragging Anthanisiou but Larkin receives a free pass from the fanbase for his poor play? AA is obviously still affected by his injury anyways. Guy was electric and scored 30 with dog**** linemates. Do not sell the guy short.

Because he's on pace to put up 14 goals, 41 points, and be -90. That might be one of the worst seasons in hockey history. He kinda deserves the shit he gets, and more.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

Larkin is from Watertucky, possible future captain, and went to Michigan, whereas AA must be having near record negative plus/minus projections. He's been outplayed by Fabbri in half the games with the team.

And there was his holdout a couple years ago. On a bad team, he should have able space to step up, but eh, TBH, he's making himself replaceable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad