Staples Twitter: Isles trade for Dan Boyle *Not signing, Snow to trade rights*

BroadwayJay*

Stralman scares me. Seems risky.

Anyone watch Rangers regularly and care to give us a scouting report?

He's a +6% CFrel last season and +7% CFrel in the previous season (so he's a possession driver) in the second pairing.

He did NOT play on their powerplay at all, so his offensive output is likely below what he is capable of.

He's a strong defensive player who makes few mistakes.

His primary d-partner was Marc Staal.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Stralman scares me. Seems risky.

Anyone watch Rangers regularly and care to give us a scouting report?

I watch a fair amount of Rangers games and he is very solid. He would be great addition here. High quality 2nd pairing.

Ranger fans are very high on him, and scared to lose him. Apparently he wants to stay in NY, so maybe we have a shot.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=86522365

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I pulled this directly out of the Rangers thread I just referenced. Very impressive:

This isn't a one year blip. Stralman has been our best possession defenseman against every level of competition since we've gotten him. Blue Blooded wrote an entire article about it: http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2014/6/4/5778722/deployment-of-the-ranger-defencemen

Here's the key takeaway (quality of competition goes up as you move along the x-axis):
MHNV96U.png

Stralman's our second best defenseman. He makes everyone around him better. There's a reason why our team controls the puck more than 60% of the time when you pair McDonagh with Stralman rather than with possession anchor Girardi.

BroadwayJay*

I pulled this directly out of the Rangers thread I just referenced. Very impressive:

I did a double take because it says "CF% against" which would be the opposite of CF%for, which is what I would call the stat they're using.

Either way, awesome possession defenseman. Love him.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
It means Stralman at the right price would be a pretty damn good pick up for us, especially if it means the end of Carkner.

the right price for the islanders could easily be a million more per season than literally everyone else is offering. folks here need to get it out of their heads that we can bring any desirable free agent in here at "value." if it takes a massive overpayment it get a band aid for our open sore of a defense, let's do it.

BroadwayJay*

the right price for the islanders could easily be a million more per season than literally everyone else is offering. folks here need to get it out of their heads that we can bring any desirable free agent in here at "value." if it takes a massive overpayment it get a band aid for our open sore of a defense, let's do it.

:thumbu:

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
We made the playoffs with 3 when Streit was here. Considering Stralman is much better defensively, I don't think it would be an issue.

I would counter by saying that I'm wary of basing anything off the strike shortened season. Very unique circumstances and only slightly more than half the games of a regular season.

If I were adamant about signing Stralman, I'd look to lose Hickey in the process.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

Agreed. Spend, baby, spend.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
How have we not flipped byle rights yet?... Running out of time

I''m guessing because no one has offered anything for his rights, and they may not. I'm personally not really worried about losing a 5th rd pick. It was worth it, regardless.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I''m guessing because no one has offered anything for his rights, and they may not. I'm personally not really worried about losing a 5th rd pick. It was worth it, regardless.

I doubt anything gets done. I guess it's possible that Snow is holding out for a 5th to replace the one he lost, but is only getting offered a 6th or something like that. Wishful thinking, but possible.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Looks like Markov resigned with Montreal so that's one less defensemen we can overpay to come here

BroadwayJay*

Looks like Markov resigned with Montreal so that's one less defensemen we can overpay to come here

3 yrs for 5.75m.

A lot of money there.

I'm much more interested in Fayne or Stralman these days anyway.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
3 yrs for 5.75m.

A lot of money there.

I'm much more interested in Fayne or Stralman these days anyway.

I figured Markov and Niskanen would be the 2 top dogs come July 1, now we down to 1 that we most likely won't sign.

In the case of Markov I was guessing he would at worst got 3 years 18M(I guess he took a slight hometown discount)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad