Player Discussion: Isles sign Golyshev

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
So you're saying he's got a chance?

To land somewhere on the Holland - Datsyuk career path continuum? It looking pretty good.
images.png

Reactions: Uncle Duke

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
AS says the same thing about JHS, so what does legit even mean? If legit means someone has talent, that's one thing, if legit means ready to play in the NHL, that's something else altogether.

Well, if he's saying the same thing about JHS, then I'll have to delete the post above...

It's now meaningless!

MY TAKE:
I've seen a good bit of the KHL over the years and those who know me might even realize that I have a little inside track to the league, so I have a bit of a bias with respect to Golyshev.

I think he can be an energetic, buzzing player who has some nice moves and a generally strong nose for the net. He can be physical, but definitely picks and chooses when to be. Alas, he's very streaky and he's not as fast as one might think. As I wrote elsewhere about two weeks ago when the possibility of him coming over looked very possible, we're talking about a guy who is 5'8" and hasn't had a fully healthy season since he was drafted in 2016 on the heels of his best ever KHL season. He has not been able to produce at that level since.

He's now 26, so it's thoroughly possible that he is mature enough to play a bit in the AHL and possibly even see some time on the Island later this season. Possible.

I dunno if Lou would bring him over if he didn't see some modicum of an NHL player there.

Nonetheless, he did score less this year than teammates Brooks Macek and Peter Holland. I know... who are they? That's my point.

In addition, guys like Yakupov, Grigorenko, and Shipachyov have been VASTLY superior KHL producers and we all know what their NHL aspirations have turned into.

It'll be fun to see if he's signed and then what he'll do.

PS) The KHLer I would have REALLY liked us getting signed is Dmitri Jaskin. He prolly could have stepped right in on that 3rd line and upgraded MDC/Komarov.

Last edited:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
How about comparing Anatoly Golyshev against Austin Czarnik’s game as undersized forwards? Is that the highest upside we have here or is there more potential there?

How would we rank Golyshev against younger prospects Ruslan Iskhakov and Collin Adams?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
How about comparing Anatoly Golyshev against Austin Czarnik’s game as undersized forwards? Is that the highest upside we have here or is there more potential there?

Interesting thought. The two are basically the same size and Czarnik is two years older, yet a tick lighter than Golyshev.

With Czarnik, we see a guy who hustles all the time and can obviously be plugged in on short notice in a depth role without hurting the team. Those who felt Czarnik was at fault for that first Capitals goal the other night aren't seeing and reading that play correctly. MAYBE he could have done something last second, but the laws of physics were against him, even if he were to possess the split-second intuition to read that the Kuznetzov shot had hit the post, and was not already in.

In a way, he looks like a very poor man's Cizikas or even Pageau, but that's just respect to doing what the coaches seem to be demanding of him. His role in a new organization has not been an easy one. He has done well on short notice and I think we should respect that.

We're also talking about a guy who had a very solid offensive career in college and then immediately put up 60 points in the AHL. In fact, he's had quite a few seasons of AHL play where he's played at more or less a PPG average. And with a 6-12-18 NHL season under his belt, he's not a guy getting his first taste of NHL hockey just now. He has "been there".

Golyshev has to adjust to EVERYTHING North America, including a game on a surface that is pretty doggone different than what he's been used to.

I would say this though... at his age, I don't think the Isles would bring him over if they didn't think he's soon going to have more upside than a few of the guys hanging around, including Czarnik. We have enough of that.

How would we rank Golyshev against younger prospects Ruslan Iskhakov and Collin Adams?

We currently have 47 players under contract. That's 3 contracts that are open. If we get a Hall or Palmieri, etc. as well as a depth Dman, then that's two more contracts. Of course, we may move a contract or two the other way.

If we're asking this question in the sense of which of these three above are worth signing, it's just going to have to be juggled. Adams has until AUG 15th. I dunno how things are with Iskhakov now that he's in Europe and not in college.

Golyshev could theoretically sign a 1-year ELC for the remainder of this season and then be a UFA.

Might be the route Lou takes if he's simply curious as to whether Golyshev is worth investing in in the future. They get a few months to see him in North America. Then go from there.

If I had to rank them, I think the organization sees these three in this order:
Iskhakov
Golyshev
Adams

INTERESTING:
Since Lou has taken over, he has signed ALL Islander draft picks that needed to be signed. All of them. Of course, three were signed to AHL deals and one of those players, Pastujov, has been released from his AHL deal to pursue an ECHL opportunity as a free agent.

Last edited:

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Interesting thought. The two are basically the same size and Czarnik is two years older, yet a tick lighter than Golyshev.

With Czarnik, we see a guy who hustles all the time and can obviously be plugged in on short notice in a depth role without hurting the team. Those who felt Czarnik was at fault for that first Capitals goal the other night aren't seeing and reading that play correctly. MAYBE he could have done something last second, but the laws of physics were against him, even if he were to possess the split-second intuition to read that the Kuznetzov shot had hit the post, and was not already in.

In a way, he looks like a very poor man's Cizikas or even Pageau, but that's just respect to doing what the coaches seem to be demanding of him. His role in a new organization has not been an easy one. He has done well on short notice and I think we should respect that.

We're also talking about a guy who had a very solid offensive career in college and then immediately put up 60 points in the AHL. In fact, he's had quite a few seasons of AHL play where he's played at more or less a PPG average. And with a 6-12-18 NHL season under his belt, he's not a guy getting his first taste of NHL hockey just now. He has "been there".

Golyshev has to adjust to EVERYTHING North America, including a game on a surface that is pretty doggone different than what he's been used to.

I would say this though... at his age, I don't think the Isles would bring him over if they didn't think he's soon going to have more upside than a few of the guys hanging around, including Czarnik. We have enough of that.

We currently have 47 players under contract. That's 3 contracts that are open. If we get a Hall or Palmieri, etc. as well as a depth Dman, then that's two more contracts. Of course, we may move a contract or two the other way.

If we're asking this question in the sense of which of these three above are worth signing, it's just going to have to be juggled. Adams has until AUG 15th. I dunno how things are with Iskhakov now that he's in Europe and not in college.

Golyshev could theoretically sign a 1-year ELC for the remainder of this season and then be a UFA.

Might be the route Lou takes if he's simply curious as to whether Golyshev is worth investing in in the future. They get a few months to see him in North America. Then go from there.

If I had to rank them, I think the organization sees these three in this order:
Iskhakov
Golyshev
Adams

INTERESTING:
Since Lou has taken over, he has signed ALL Islander draft picks that needed to be signed. All of them. Of course, three were signed to AHL deals and one of those players, Pastujov, has been released from his AHL deal to pursue an ECHL opportunity as a free agent.
Who knows but Lou didn’t sound to sold on Golyshev, you’d think he would have already had deal when he opted out of KHL deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad