Speculation: Isles search for a 3rd line center

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I am not interested in overpaying for Pags at the TDL. Even less interest in overpaying for him this July.

if Tierney can be had for a 3rd and the nhl ready Aho, that would be a deal I would like to see.
What i posted isnt an overpay,people put way way too much stock in late picks....The Ilses are likely picking in the high 20,s ...As they have had a great year....Why wouldnt they want to give them selves the best possible chance to make a run???

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What i posted isnt an overpay,people put way way too much stock in late picks....The Ilses are likely picking in the high 20,s ...As they have had a great year....Why wouldnt they want to give them selves the best possible chance to make a run???
What part of the isles have played poorly and inconsistently since Thanksgiving goes over your head? What part of the isles are not 1 player away in this,Lou & Trotz's 2nd seasons is too difficult to grasp?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What part of the isles have played poorly and inconsistently since Thanksgiving goes over your head? What part of the isles are not 1 player away in this,Lou & Trotz's 2nd seasons is too difficult to grasp?
Ok Lou sorry to bother you

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Stop. Your comment that the isles " have a great chance this yr" only shows how uninformed you are about the struggling isles,who have not played well since Thanksgiving.

Isles are not 1 player away from a SC.
With Barzal,Nelson and Cizikas the isles have their 1st,2nd and either 3rd or 4th line center .
They think 21 yr old Koivula, will be a 2nd/3rd line center with more development.
Post on a subject/team you are actually watching.

I never said they were 1 player away from the Stanley cup. I said adding a Carter type player for their third line is a contender move. It makes them better. And I think looking at a team based on how they've done over a month is far less productive than looking at a team's build. And sure, I actually watch hockey, so I'll post. Thanks for the permission. It sounds like you just play EA sports in lala land there bud.

What do you need to be a contender in my books?

A solid defensive system and a good coach. Check
Strong goaltending. Check.
Center depth. As I said having a Carter like player to add to the fold would be great. Barzal, Nelson, Carter, and Cizakas would be one of the top teams down the middle. That is an impressive bunch.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I never said they were 1 player away from the Stanley cup. I said adding a Carter type player for their third line is a contender move. It makes them better. And I think looking at a team based on how they've done over a month is far less productive than looking at a team's build. And sure, I actually watch hockey, so I'll post. Thanks for the permission. It sounds like you just play EA sports in lala land there bud.

What do you need to be a contender in my books?

A solid defensive system and a good coach. Check
Strong goaltending. Check.
Center depth. As I said having a Carter like player to add to the fold would be great. Barzal, Nelson, Carter, and Cizakas would be one of the top teams down the middle. That is an impressive bunch.

Isles have a solid,hard working team that lacks a scoring sniper.A game breaker.
Do not try to paint your aging 3rd liner as the difference maker.

Lou said after last season's TDL that he has a plan in place and the team's unexpected success will not change that plan.
Isles, building around 22 yr old Barzal and 20 yr old Dobson,will reportedly try to bring 24 yr old Sorokin this sumner. So no thanks to moving too prospects or 1st for rentals or 33-35 yr olds whose best yrs are behind them.

Reactions: IODCPiper

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Isles have a solid,hard working team that lacks a scoring sniper.A game breaker.

Lou said after last season's TDL that he has a plan in place and the team's unexpected success will not change that plan.
Isles, building around 22 yr old Barzal and 20 yr old Dobson,will reportedly try to bring 24 yr old Sorokin this sumner. So no thanks to moving too prospects or 1st for rentals or 33-35 yr olds whose best yrs are behind them.
Lou calm down .....

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lou calm down .....

Did not realize telling message board fans that the isles are not a serious SC contender and will not be moving top prospects or 1st for rentals or 33-35 yr olds,would garner such disappointment among fans whose team's are sellers.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Did not realize telling message board fans that the isles are not a serious SC contender and will not be moving top prospects or 1st for rentals or 33-35 yr olds,would garner such disappointment among fans whose team's are sellers.
Where did I say contenders and since when is JGP 33 years old???

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
When the isles signed Brassard, he was expected to fill the 3rd line center spot. He has been more productive on the wing. Ahler Cole Bardreau looked good in his earlier call up but, has not been given more nhl icetime.
That leaves Lou searching for another 3rd line center.
Barzal , Nelson ,????? , Cizikas.

Going into one of the deepest drafts in yrs, the isle cannot afford to move their 1st. They could package their 2nd or 3rd with a solid prospect.
1. NHL ready LHD Sebastion Aho. He was recently named to his 3rd straight AHL all-star game.
2. Big center Otto Koivula has 2nd/3rd line upside but is still raw.
3.MVS, another smooth skating defenseman stuck in the AHL because of the isles blueline logjam.

And let's pretend Ottawa has already extended Pags and avoid going back down that rabbit hole debate.
Which teams, expected to be sellers, have a 3C available and at what asking price?
Lower end but Nick Bjugstad. Tough trade in same division. Could be had fairly cheap.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

"your aging 3rd liner"

I'm not peddling him. I'm not a Kings fan or anything, I am simply saying as an unbiased individual that he is a great piece.

And it wasn't for a 1st it was for Bode Wilde, who's good but not great.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Arizona got Hall for a lottery protected 1st and an ok D prospect with good size, plus conditional 2nd/3rd picks. Hall was the best forwards available. No way Isles should give up a 2020 1st if not lottery protected, especially as it is really tough to predict where they may end up this year (too many teams just few points behind them in both East & West conferences and they do have a very tough schedule after the All star break, with both goalies not being that sharp and their best shutdown D not being available). Yes they should not stand by and may need a trade but do not give up a 1st unprotected or top prospect unless the player coming back agrees to a resonable trade & sign deal (similar to what Vegas got for Stone last season). If you miss playoff and the 1st round end up being in the top 3 (which can still happen even if you finish bottom 11 overall) in a strong draft & the UFA does not resign, it will be a huge disaster. Sure prospects are probably 2 years away from helping Isles but if you draft well they can be valuable in future trades to upgrade team and helps to build a strong pipe-line. If you get lucky and land one of the top 3, they can make impact on your line-up maybe even next year.

Example -Canucks owners were reluctant to go for retool but smarten up when they realize their pipeline is just not good enough, even when their window was closing (Sedins last couple of years). Even they could not land top 3 picks each year, they got Patterson (4th overall), Hughes (5th overall), Boeser (23rd overall), and Horvat (10th overall). After compiling the right mix, with a few minor good trades, now Canucks have a team capable of making the playoff and quite entertaining to watch.

I believe Isles with already few good pieces in place, can do the same if they can add a few more blue chips and develop them properly. With a strong upcoming draft, you need to identify the talent/character combination correctly and then provide a strong development environment for them. Stay away from risky type of prospects (like JHS), always go with smart, disciplined, committed team oriented players willing to put in the works for improving and already possess decent to real good skating and puck handling skills. Goal scoring will be bonuses, especially if comes with good wrist shots. Drafting and trades needs to go hand in hand, not over compensating for another. Look at SJ, they went too far all in and now is in a terrible position with an aging team and little prospect in the system for upgrading the team. Worst yet, they do not have the 1st this year and most likely will finish in bottom 10.

Another key area for observation is to see if a player may turn pro is how well they can play without having their heads down on plays in transition and when going into boards and corners. If you do not keep your head up often enough, your NHL career can be cut short as they will be more prone to serious injuries.

Last edited:

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
I would rather find a cheaper option then paying $5m for a 3C .
As Butch Goring would say, you can't have your cake and dessert too (or something like that). You want a 3C but you don't want to trade anything of any value beside middle round picks, and you don't want to pay any money. News flash: that's completely unrealistic. You're either going to have to give up something of a little value, or take on a contract. Otherwise you'll be making more of the same threads weeks and months from now.

Bode Wilde sucks. He's got offensive upside but he's a scratch in Bridgeport and clueless in the defensive end; would easily deal him for Carter, Cup winner, high character....it's not like he's making $10mil+ or something. Regarding $, well you deal with that in off-season by cutting some of the dead weight off this talentless team (Kuhn, Leo, LTIR Ladd, Martin, Dal Colle--I could go on. Even Bailey and Lee are huge disappointments and I would look to move at least the former as well, the latter being saved due to him being captain).

Or you can keep all your shiny prospects who never pan out, are playing on a woeful team in the AHL, and maybe make the playoffs before being bounced quickly. Up2U.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
As Butch Goring would say, you can't have your cake and dessert too (or something like that). You want a 3C but you don't want to trade anything of any value beside middle round picks, and you don't want to pay any money. News flash: that's completely unrealistic. You're either going to have to give up something of a little value, or take on a contract. Otherwise you'll be making more of the same threads weeks and months from now.

Bode Wilde sucks. He's got offensive upside but he's a scratch in Bridgeport and clueless in the defensive end; would easily deal him for Carter, Cup winner, high character....it's not like he's making $10mil+ or something. Regarding $, well you deal with that in off-season by cutting some of the dead weight off this talentless team (Kuhn, Leo, LTIR Ladd, Martin, Dal Colle--I could go on. Even Bailey and Lee are huge disappointments and I would look to move at least the former as well, the latter being saved due to him being captain).

Or you can keep all your shiny prospects who never pan out, are playing on a woeful team in the AHL, and maybe make the playoffs before being bounced quickly. Up2U.

Defensive prospects normally takes 3 years before panning out with very few exceptions. If you have the good basic hockey tools (like skating, size and puck handling) then there is chance for learning and prospects need to realize that they all have to put in the works to turn pro as it is not given unless you have elite status. Wilde definitely has upside and has just recovered from injuries. Problem with Isles farm team mainly is that they have not drafted enough talented centers over the last few years as centers are key to the transition games and Bridgeport goaltending have been average. Defense can definitely be learned as I recalled all star Al McInnis was horrible defensively in his rookie year but improved playing aside good D veterans over the years. Now if you trade Wilde, you should get a healthy vet center fully capable of two more solid NHL playing with Isles (unless the trade is subject to a 2nd rounder coming back should the the UFA not signed or if Isles fail to make playoff) which I think it is fair value for Wilde who was rated no.2 overall in one of the top hockey news magazine 2 years prior to his draft year and 3 or 4 months games from the acquired UFA vet.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
"your aging 3rd liner"

I'm not peddling him. I'm not a Kings fan or anything, I am simply saying as an unbiased individual that he is a great piece.

And it wasn't for a 1st it was for Bode Wilde, who's good but not great.

Wilde is one of the isles top prospects.
Not really concerned if others are as high on his potential as the isles organization is.

No interest,none, in moving a 1st or top prospects to fill the 3rd line need. If it can be filled trading lesser pieces...all good. If not,I would rather go with Bardreau or Brassard in the short term and give Koivula a second full season of ahl development.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Wilde is one of the isles top prospects.
Not really concerned if others are as high on his potential as the isles organization is.

No interest,none, in moving a 1st or top prospects to fill the 3rd line need. If it can be filled trading lesser pieces...all good. If not,I would rather go with Bardreau or Brassard in the short term and give Koivula a second full season of ahl development.
Bardreau should be Isles 3C when he is fully healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad