Speculation: Isles search for a 3rd line center

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
When the isles signed Brassard, he was expected to fill the 3rd line center spot. He has been more productive on the wing. Ahler Cole Bardreau looked good in his earlier call up but, has not been given more nhl icetime.
That leaves Lou searching for another 3rd line center.
Barzal , Nelson ,????? , Cizikas.

Going into one of the deepest drafts in yrs, the isle cannot afford to move their 1st. They could package their 2nd or 3rd with a solid prospect.
1. NHL ready LHD Sebastion Aho. He was recently named to his 3rd straight AHL all-star game.
2. Big center Otto Koivula has 2nd/3rd line upside but is still raw.
3.MVS, another smooth skating defenseman stuck in the AHL because of the isles blueline logjam.

And let's pretend Ottawa has already extended Pags and avoid going back down that rabbit hole debate.
Which teams, expected to be sellers, have a 3C available and at what asking price?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Filppula, a successful & known quantity under Trotz. $3M through 20-21, upto 50% retention available if needed/depending on return. I think Val would waive his NTC to get out of the DET crapstorm. 2nd is probably fair w/50% off. Isles are in their window so he helps lead/stabilize next yr too & has 1 Cup Ring.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I haven't paid attention this year, but this is said legit every single year.
maybe I have not paid attention, but I do not recall many previous draft classes getting crushed on like this.

Ferrari: 2020 NHL Draft Rankings and Preview — November 2019
This year’s draft class is among the best in recent memory. It has more star power and more depth than last year which was considered to be a strong draft. The annual infusion of youth next June should rival the best draft classes since the turn of the century. In prior years, any of the players in the top-five could have been number one picks. The top-15 could have all realistically been top-five picks in many recent drafts. In short, if you’re going to suck, this is the year to do it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
that would require lou to get off his ass and do something

Someone posted a Lou quote. I am not sure when he made it, which franchise he was working for,but in discussing trades he states ' tomorrow comes quickly'.
I took that to mean it's easy enough to trade quality kids, but you pay the piper.
I would rather have Lou taking his time 1 and 1/2 yrs in, then making Milbury like gambles such as the one the kings fan :proposed 19/20 yr old Wilde for 33-35 yr old Carter.Gross.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Take Alexander Wennberg. Young 3c who could even have a turnaround in a new system.

At almost $5m per, I do not see anyone taking the offensively challenged Wennberg, without Columbus eating a ton of salary.
45 games: 3 goals 13 assists

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Filppula, a successful & known quantity under Trotz. $3M through 20-21, upto 50% retention available if needed/depending on return. I think Val would waive his NTC to get out of the DET crapstorm. 2nd is probably fair w/50% off. Isles are in their window so he helps lead/stabilize next yr too & has 1 Cup Ring.
His name came up on the nyi board.
No interest in salary retention if it cost a 2nd.

There was debate about whether his game has fallen off a cliff,how much he has left in the tank.
Are his linemates dragging him down?

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Eric Stall, Cody Eakin, Chris Tierney, Blake Coleman....Isles search needs to include UFAs or guys with only 1 year of term left and a pretty mild cap hit. Dont have the room next season for guys like Henrique and Wennberg

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Derek Stepan, welcome back to the New York! 1.5 years left at $6.5M cap hit.

Stepan for Brassard straight up, no retention.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
His name came up on the nyi board.
No interest in salary retention if it cost a 2nd.

There was debate about whether his game has fallen off a cliff,how much he has left in the tank.
Are his linemates dragging him down?
He's been ok considering our historically bad (cap-era & expansion era) team. He'd probably produce similar to last season back on NYI. A 3rd w/o retention is palatable.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He's been ok considering our historically bad (cap-era & expansion era) team. He'd probably produce similar to last season back on NYI. A 3rd w/o retention is palatable.

I'd be down with this. I liked what he bought to the ice last season. A good work ethic and defensively responsible play.
warm up the fax machine :popcorn:

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Derek Stepan, welcome back to the New York! 1.5 years left at $6.5M cap hit.

Stepan for Brassard straight up, no retention.
No interest in paying a 3C $6.5m next season.
Brassard's $1.7m is more in line with what I want my 3rd liners making.

Also, I would rather keep Brassard for a playoff push. Use picks and the surplus of ahl blueliners to add a 3C.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Islanders should be looking to go the cheap rout as much as possible when it comes to filling out bottom six roles. Cole Bardreau did an excellent job, and is dirt cheap. I'm not sure why he's not been given more of a chance. If it's because of his offense.... relying on your 3rd line center for offense is not a good strategy. The Islanders have room for one more offensive weapon, weather that be from within (Bellows/Wahlstrom) or via trade. The real concern at the moment is that the entire top six outside of Barzal has gone completely dry the last couple weeks.

I know Bellows has been the flavor of the month, but you cannot place that kind of burden on the shoulders of a 21 year old kid that was struggling just a couple weeks ago. He is not the answer.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Mikael Granlund should be in the Islanders crosshairs. He's struggling a bit now, but is still young and has had recent success. His contract is ending so you're not making a long term commitment. He would also fit into Trotz system.

Reactions: mm11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad