Isles Rookie & Training Camp Discussion

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
On the subject of comparing size of players from the past to now, one has to be cautious as the average NHLer is much bigger than those of the past. So a 6'0" defenseman from the 80s was actually bigger, relatively speaking in comparison to his peers, than a 6'0" defenseman from today is.

I remember a quote from Mark Messier, shortly after he retired. Paraphrasing, but it was something to the effect of "When I came into the league I was a powerforward, but when I left it I was a finesse player". It was in reference to the fact that when he broke into the league, 6'1 and 205 lbs. was considered big and imposing, but by the time he retired that was just your average player.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
One year from now our D will have Reinhart, Pulock, and Hamonic. That's plenty of size. And if Boychuck sticks around that's even more size.

BroadwayJay*

You're either ignoring the point or missing it...

I think he's ignoring it, but I hope he's missing it.

His unwillingness to address the issue in any other way but snarky one-liners is disconcerting.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
On the subject of comparing size of players from the past to now, one has to be cautious as the average NHLer is much bigger than those of the past. So a 6'0" defenseman from the 80s was actually bigger, relatively speaking in comparison to his peers, than a 6'0" defenseman from today is.

I remember a quote from Mark Messier, shortly after he retired. Paraphrasing, but it was something to the effect of "When I came into the league I was a powerforward, but when I left it I was a finesse player". It was in reference to the fact that when he broke into the league, 6'1 and 205 lbs. was considered big and imposing, but by the time he retired that was just your average player.

Correct me if I'm wrong but size must have regressed since the nineties. I remember the Flyers of 98 to have a mean height of 6'3 or something crazy like that.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
You're either ignoring the point or missing it...

Hey, is there any room on that elevator?

Nah, man. We're full.

What if I gave you a million dollars?

Ok, we can probably squeeze you in.

Hey, the blueline looks a bit smallish. Might make it tough adding another smaller player.

What if we added Paul Coffey?

Ok, we could probably make that work.

BroadwayJay*

Hey, is there any room on that elevator?

Nah, man. We're full.

What if I gave you a million dollars?

Ok, we can probably squeeze you in.

Hey, the blueline looks a bit smallish. Might make it tough adding another smaller player.

What if we added Paul Coffey?

Ok, we could probably make that work.

He didn't say it would be tough to add another smaller player. He said we CAN'T add another smaller player.

We really can't hide another smallish defender on this roster.

Can't. Not "would be tough". Can't.

BroadwayJay*

Don't use absolutes in debate...it gets you beat every time. :nod:

(see what I did there?)

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

551677_425176927509155_2032995756_n.jpg

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Can't. Not "would be tough". Can't.

What if he had said, "We really can't hide another smallish defender on this roster, UNLESS IT'S A HALL OF FAME PLAYER WE TIMEWARP INTO OUR ROSTER!" ?

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my 3 year old daughter when she asked me if people could climb skyscrapers. When I told her than no, people can't climb skyscrapers, she promptly leveled the "Spiderman can" without missing a beat. I was defeated. I should have said, "no, except for superheroes".

BroadwayJay*

What if he had said, "We really can't hide another smallish defender on this roster, UNLESS IT'S A HALL OF FAME PLAYER WE TIMEWARP INTO OUR ROSTER!" ?

Well, Karlsson, Subban, and Keith don't need to be timewarped; which is why I also mentioned them and I don't think there would be any complaints about any of those guys being on our roster.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Well, Karlsson, Subban, and Keith don't need to be timewarped; which is why I also mentioned them and I don't think there would be any complaints about any of those guys being on our roster.

Ok. Strike that, then.

How about, "We really can't hide another smallish defender on this roster, UNLESS IT'S A HALL OF FAME PLAYER WE TIMEWARP INTO OUR ROSTER OR A NORRIS TROPHY WINNER" ?

BroadwayJay*

Ok. Strike that, then.

How about, "We really can't hide another smallish defender on this roster, UNLESS IT'S A HALL OF FAME PLAYER WE TIMEWARP INTO OUR ROSTER OR A NORRIS TROPHY WINNER" ?

Well, we'd find room for Marc-Edouard Vlasic (6'1") too. Ryan McDonagh (6'1") as well. Mark Giordano (6'0") also. Likewise Ryan Suter (6'1").

So you'll have to qualify further.

I purposed cited Norris Trophy winners to point out how absurd the statement was, that we can't take on someone of that size.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Well, we'd find room for Marc-Edouard Vlasic (6'1") too. Ryan McDonagh (6'1") as well. Mark Giordano (6'0") also. Likewise Ryan Suter (6'1").

So you'll have to qualify further.

I purposed cited Norris Trophy winners to point out how absurd the statement was, that we can't take on someone of that size.

Again, not everyone of the same height is the same build.

By small, I think it's fairly obvious that people are referring to physical strength, and not to height. Do you truly believe that Leddy is as strong as guys like Vlasic, Mcdonagh, Suter or Giordano? Otherwise, these examples don't really have a lot of relevance.

It should also be fairly obvious that we can always make room on the roster for a legit top pairing D-man who happens to be smaller. But since Leddy is not a legit top pairing Dman, and it's questionable if he's even a top 4 Dman, these still aren't relevent.

BroadwayJay*

By small, I think it's fairly obvious that people are referring to physical strength, and not to height. Do you truly believe that Leddy is as strong as guys like Vlasic, Mcdonagh, Suter or Giordano? Otherwise, these examples don't really have a lot of relevance.

It should also be fairly obvious that we can always make room on the roster for a legit top pairing D-man who happens to be smaller. But since Leddy is not a legit top pairing Dman, and it's questionable if he's even a top 4 Dman, these still aren't relevent.

Then it shouldn't be said that we CAN'T find room on our roster for guys of this size.

We would find room for Erik Karlsson, who is smaller and lighter than Nick Leddy.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

By small, I think it's fairly obvious that people are referring to physical strength, and not to height.
+1, but the combination package is most desirable as wingspan helps gap control, and general physics is that the bigger mass wins in collisions.

Pat Verbeek gives up many inches and many lbs on someone like Wishart yet he'd win the toughness argument every time though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad