Chris Chelios - 5'11"
Al Macinnis - 6'1"
Nik Lidstrom - 6'1"
Brian Leetch - 6'0"

Erik Karlsson - 5'11"
PK Subban - 6'0"
Ryan Suter - 6'1"
Duncan Keith - 6'1"

For my $0.02, I think we'd find room for any of those guys, past or present, on our roster.

Well, for some reason with Darth size always matters. He just wants to roll a stop sign out there on a tire as long as it's a big one.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Grandpa_e3efae_976974.gif

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Darth's problem is that when healthy, the only physical and intimidating defensemen in our top six are Hamonic and Boychuk.

It's definitely a valid concern, but I think we can address that concern within the next year or two with the progression of guys like Reinhart & Mayfield, maybe even Pulock.

Hopefully things work with Boychuk and he decides to sign on long term but it's huge in itself that we were able to get a veteran guy like him in the first place.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
i like the idea of having a legit 4th line, instead of just bangers, now that we have decent depth.

Conacher-Tavares-Okposo (18 min)
Nelson-Nielsen-Kulemin (18 min, checking line)
Lee-Grabovski-Strome (14 min)
Bailey-Cizikas-Clutterbuck (12 min)
Martin

what to do when Grabner comes back, though? by that time, do Lee and Strome become available to claim on waivers? definitely want to avoid that.

i like Martin enough to keep him, as we still need his presence, IMO.

also want to point out that losing Skille might hurt more than we might think. next RW for call up, is Collberg, and not much after that. we have some depth, so we can slide Bailey over to RW, but he is not very good there.

getting real excited about this season! :)

Capgeek now has waiver eligablity on its sight. Lee will have to pass through waivers once he plays 36 NHL games this season, Strome 123 games.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Capgeek now has waiver eligablity on its sight. Lee will have to pass through waivers once he plays 36 NHL games this season, Strome 123 games.

Also, Strome will have to pass through waivers after 2015-16 regardless of games played (so whichever comes first - 2 years or the 123 games). Lee is no longer waiver exempt after this season, even if he doesn't play 36 games (which he better). This includes playoff games.

BroadwayJay*

Well, apparently size doesn't matter because Chris Chelios.

Don't distort the argument.

Size doesn't matter as much as some folks think it does.

Saying we cannot shelter another "small" defenseman is absurd because we would have no complaints about taking on a guy like Erik Karlsson, PK Subban, Duncan Keith, or any of the other hall-of-fame defensemen I named, such as Chelios, and they were the same, or of similar, height to Nick Leddy; the allegedly "too small" defenseman.

I know it is fun to put together cute little misrepresentations like "apparently size doesn't matter because Chris Chelios", but I would hope you are better than that.

You know it wasn't the argument at all.

Size matters, just not as much as many folks claim

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Let's be fair to Darth. He has never made D-size (I mean defense of course not the other D) a be all end all issue. He has consistently maintained that the Isles as constituted already have or in recent years had TOO MANY smallish d-men. A line-up can only absorb so many smallish players. I agree with that notion.

But I also agree with the above post that the development time of Islander prospects will naturally answer that issue. Eventually the likes of Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech should replace Visnovsky, Hickey.

But, for this year alone... the defense as it exist (not perfect and still a bit undersized) is the best it has been in over a decade and better than average (on paper) to the rest of the NHL. I believe, what will determine the success of this team is: 1) Injuries 2) Team cohesiveness 3) team defense (forwards need to play a better two-way game too) more than the individuals on defense.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Hopefully things work with Boychuk and he decides to sign on long term but it's huge in itself that we were able to get a veteran guy like him in the first place.

I would argue that it is extremely important to get him to sign here, otherwise we go right back to square one next year. Reinhart will not be "Boychuk comparable" next year no matter how right this year goes for him.

BroadwayJay*

Nick Leddy isn't Chris Chelios.

No he isn't. Nor is he Martin Luther King.

However, what the original statement was is that we have no room to "shelter" another small defenseman.

All the people are named were of similar size.

He didn't say "we have no room for Nick Leddy" and I responded with "well we'd have room for Chris Chelios".

If you don't understand the nuance of the argument I can try and explain it to you without you making an obviously snarky attempt to discredit it with a one liner like "apparently size doesn't matter because Chris Chelios." I would be very surprised if you told me you thought that was the argument.

If you want to have adult conversation, we should do that. If you don't want to have adult conversation, we don't have to. Just let me know and I won't address you any further.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad