Pre-Game Talk: Isles Reg Season Finale, April 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Well, we are 12 days away from the final home game of the regular season for the Isles at the Nassau Coliseum.

I'm going with my mom. I'm 44 and my first game was back when I was 14 -- a present from my parents. My mom is now in her 70's and we have been to probably about 30+ games together. This will be special.

I was invited via facebook to a tailgating party -- the last of its kinda in that miserable parking lot in Uniondale. I just got off the phone and told my mom that she is going to have to "put on her big girl underwear" and we might have to tailgate a bit. She laughed and told me that she is putting on her special shirt for the night -- the "my two favorite teams are the ..." shirt. Good job mom. She's a trooper.

I would like to hear about everyone's special moments at the Coli. This is the time to share and reflect and enjoy the place where a lot of us grew up and saw so many special teams, plays and memories. (Ill ignore the obvious fact of how many horrible teams and miserable play we saw).

I have so many good memories of the pregame skates. I have pics of Gretzky which Ill dig up and find and post. Correction – They are around, just not sure where, I give you the attached, instead.

- The time I snuck down into the friends and family section.

- I met one of Snow's brothers at Champions – and he hooked me up with a friends and family pass

- Almost got tossed out of the Blueline Bar after a loss to the Rangers (pretty sure I posted about that here)

- All the games vs the Leafs in 2002.

- One game, in a luxury box

- Found myself in a conversation with Smitty, T. Jonsson, and Gillies @ Champions in 2002, discussing how "spoiled" Isles fans were back in the day. Very true.

- Leaving a game one night with my wife and finding, "The Architect" walking right next to us. Had a quick chat...

Who knows how the game is going to play out, it really doesn't matter. I haven't heard of anything special planned for the night, although I don't see how nothing could be planned.

A special night coming, indeed.

Last edited:

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
My first game was back in December 28th, 1991. I was 8 and a huge Islander fan. My parents got us tickets for my Christmas present. Islanders vs Rangers! Game was tied 4-4 with about 5 seconds left my favorite player, Ray Ferraro, scored the game winning goal with a wrist shot from the slot.... Isles win!!!!

Me, my brother, and my mom got first row seats to Nystroms jersey retirement.

I took my son Wyatt to his first Islander game ever this year. He was 6 months old at the time. The last season opener at NVMC....Isles win!!!!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
On the anything special front, I do believe the players will be wearing the first Islanders uniforms for the night. Not sure if that means blue or white, but I do believe it will be from the inaugural season.

I'm too young to have been at the Coliseum for the truly great moments, but even the terrible teams were a pleasure to watch. What is better to do than watch your favorite team for $5, even if they stink?

-My first game was with my dad, uncle, and cousin. We were in the upper 300's and it was during the fisherman era. I'd say that's when I first started to love the game. I can remember the excitement of goals and fights. Also, there was a stud named Palffy playing, so that was a bonus for me.

-I was there for the Islanders Rangers game in '07, with 4 games left to go and needing to win most or all of them to get into the playoffs, and it went to a shootout with Dubie coming up huge. That was the first time I took my younger brother to a game and it was awesome. A few hours later, I flew to London for a few days, and came back in time for the Isles vs Devils which got them in the playoffs.

-I've only experienced the playoffs once in my life, and it was against Buffalo in that same '07 series. My girlfriend, and now wife, bought tickets for me to go as a birthday gift. The atmosphere was unreal. Unfortunately, as we all know, we lost that series and the particular game I was at (game 3 of the series). The fans started throwing stuff on the ice because the officiating was so horrible.

-'07 Home opener was a great time for me. Got to sit front row with my wife's cousin. Islanders lit the lamp a bunch and won 6-4. Atmosphere was fun, coming off a playoff series.

-The Islanders Penguins series, my brother called me from inside the arena. It was his first playoff game and even though I wasn't there with him, it was great knowing that he had a chance to experience what I did in '07.

I guess I don't have many great Coliseum stories. Unfortunately my entire life has been spent seeing miserable teams playing, especially as an adult and going on my own. My favorite thing is all the different people I've gone to games with. Friends, family, co-workers, in-laws, etc. It's been a blast being able to share something so special and important to me with each of them, even those who aren't or weren't fans of the game. I loved sitting in the nose bleeds, up on the glass, and in the perfect seats in the 200's. My brother and I just got my dad tickets to the last game, and he was near tears when I told him on the phone. That's the greatest thing for me, being able to bond and share it with so many other people.

The Coliseum has always been a dump during my lifetime, but it's my dump. The championship banners and the player banners, they each mean something to me even though I wasn't there for it. It makes the building that much more majestic to me and as we get closer to the end, I really wish they weren't leaving.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
My first game was back in the 90's. Im not sure what year exactly it was, but its a game i will never forget. They played the flyers, and won 6-1, Palffy had a hattrick and after the game ended there was a bit of a brawl.

A few years later my old man decided to buy season tickets, which we had from 2000-first lockout. I didnt miss a game in that time frame, and i grew to love the game, seeing all the leaf games in 01-02 were amazing memories.

Ill miss going to the old barn, the islanders were a big part of my childhood, and they are part of who i am today.

Im planning on taking my father to the game and sitting in 303, the section we sat in for hundreds of games, just for one last time.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
My 1st game was 1984, i was just 6 and even though i am 36 the sights and atmosphere in the building is still something i vividly remember. I find myself most attached to the 93 playoff run team, i was in high school what a run they went on. I still say had they not been screwed into playing game 1 against Montreal on Sunday afternoon after playing game 7 in Pitt on Friday night that team may have beaten the Canadiens.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
one of my earliest memory was listening to the radio and hearing Lanny McDonald scoring the OT goal in 1978 and running out to the living room to my parent balling my eyes out.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Two hilarious moments off the top of my head. After an opening day game, probably in 1996, we lit one of our grills and started cooking some burgers and hot dogs while waiting for the Coliseum parking lot to empty out. We had the Yankees blasting on a ffew car radios. Along comes Stan Fischler on his way to the car that brought him to the game, stops to fnd out the score of the baseball game, and mooches a hot dog from us!

Another time in the early 1990s we were in the Marriott after a regular season loss (of which there were many) probably right before Christmas, we were drowning our sorrows in some post-game beers and Jiggs McDonald came into the bar. Since there were very few people left there he sat down with me and my friends and we bought him a drink while he was waiting for the people he was waiting for to arrive.

As we get closer to April 11th, I'm sure more memories will come up to the surface.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Here are my top moments in order that they happened:

My first game with my Dad. I really can't remember the date but it was late 80's. Here's the background: my Dad and I were both born in Maryland, but my Dad had been an Islanders fan since basically right around the time I was born (76). He always liked the way the Islanders just worked so hard and left it out on the ice. He was a huge Al Arbour and Billy Smith fan. Anyway, when I was 9 or so we moved to Connecticut and I saw a couple games at the Hartford Civic Center (along with MISL, we were also Baltimore Blast fans). I still wasn't really into hockey yet. We finally moved to LI when my Dad got a job with Sbarro as an MIS director. Well, I got a paper route at 14 and if you had a perfect delivery your name got put into a drawing for $50 and I won. I went out and got my first pair of rollerblades (big heavy Tours) I went out and hated the stopper. Took it off right away and I used to stop by going down on my knees and ruining my jeans. My mom was getting so pissed. But it only lasted a week because I learned how to stop like you do with ice hockey skates (had never ice skated). Anyway, became a really good roller hockey player and eventually went on to learn how to ice skate and played club ice hockey with the Stony Brook Seawolves back when they were just a fledgling club team. We actually hired the first coach that started to put the program on the map. Anyway, I finally got into hockey and my dad brought me to my first Isles game:

1. Like I said late 80's and the Isles ended up losing the game in such a weird fashion. We got home and my Mom said, "How was the game?" My Dad's answer, "The Islanders lost but they scored the only goal". My Mom knew enough about sports to be completely perplexed. Yup, Gord Dineen went to move the puck up the ice from behind the net and shanked it off the back of Billy Smith's leg into the net. Isles lose 1-0 on an own goal. Unbelievable first game eh?

2. Watching my hero, Brent Sutter, score a hat trick against the Rags at one of our annual Christmas time Games.

3. 1993 playoff run, I went up to my dad literally the night before game 6 against the Pens and told him I would buy my own ticket if he would take me. He said okay, deal but didn't think there would be any tickets left. We jumped on Ticketmaster and snagged two tickets in the last row. Worst seats I've ever had to one of the most memorable games ever. Uwe Krupp scores the empty netter and somebody from the crowd throws a stuffed animal penguin in a noose on the ice. The normally stoic and emotionless Uwe Krupp takes up the noose and slings it back into the crowd. It was classic!!

4. The first game after a delayed season because of 9/11 I sat in the back. I may get heat from this and honestly think back and admit I was a jerk, however I really hated the Rangers and was still mad about what terrorists had done to our country. I also was a bit immature and shouted : "Lindros supports the Taliban" from the 300's. I got some dirty looks and a few laughs. I'm not proud of it... Was a speak first think later moment.

5. The only game I was able to go to from the 2002 playoffs: Shawn Bates getting the gwg on a penalty shot. Absolutely loudest I have ever heard the coliseum. I actually felt like the floor was going to collapse. It was insane...INSANE!

A few other moments:
- My Dad getting invited to a suite because of a client that wanted him to use their computer system. I waited at an occupied bathroom and once I was finished I came up to my Dad and he said, "Did you see who came out of the bathroom right before you?" I said no. Billy friggin Smith. I wasn't even paying attention. My Dad said he shook his hand and exchanged a few words. I stood with my jaw down to the floor amazed I had missed him.

- Bobby Nystrom coming out to shake hands of all the fans waiting in line to buy tickets after missing half a season due to the lockout.

- Wearing a paper bag to the game in the late 90's and my neighbor coming up to me and saying..."This has to be Joshua". I was like how the heck did you notice it was me. He said only I would do something like that, lol.

That's all I got for now ;-)

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
My 1st game was 1984, i was just 6 and even though i am 36 the sights and atmosphere in the building is still something i vividly remember. I find myself most attached to the 93 playoff run team, i was in high school what a run they went on. I still say had they not been screwed into playing game 1 against Montreal on Sunday afternoon after playing game 7 in Pitt on Friday night that team may have beaten the Canadiens.

That and if they had the rule where they didn't blow the whistle on an opposing players injury until that team had puck possession. How many times did Carbonneau hit the ice and get a whistle when we had 2 on 1 rushes? At least a dozen times that series. It was ******** and he never missed a shift.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
1st started watching in 94-95.
My first game was the Nystrom retirement game with my mother and brother.

Got my mother, father, brother, sister in law and gf to all get together to see the final home opener this year. To too it off it was my nephews 1st game and we won.

Favorite game by far... Had box seats for the bates penalty shot game...I have never witnessed anything close to that again. The building was unbelievably loud when he scored. Never heard anything remotely close to that loud...felt like the building shook. You could probably hear everyone from the turnpike.

Been to Atleast 1 PO game per series since 01

Just realized this is my 20th year as an Islander fan. I'm 28

I would love it if JT got the mic out and adressed the crowd after the game like Streit did a few years ago. Could spark another memorable moment and unite the team and the fans as we make our final drive for five at the coliseum!

Would've been nice to take my kids their one day...**** you Nassau county. I'd rather stay in this bldg as is forever then go anywhere else.

Last edited:

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
My son and wife at Islanders/Rangers game this year.
10649909_10101314004865706_3658327064563902409_n.jpg

Wife is wearing my Hickey jersey... deal with it!

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
First game at the old barn was when it was new-October 7, 1972. Islanders played fellow expansionist Atlanta which the Flames won 3-2. Eddie Westfall, the team's first captain scored the first goal in Islander history. Saw the first win in franchise history 5 days later, 3-2 over the Kings. Thing about that game which still stands out was Billy Harris missed penalty shot.

Being originally from Quebec City, mom was a lontime Montreal fan and for some reason I became a Leafs fan. Anyway when the Islanders came into being we both switched to the Islanders.

Back then had the schedule coming to games on days with no college classes since it was 3 hour ride home to pick mom up and another 4 hours to Uniondale. Over the years made many friends coming to games, though living those 4 hours away always felt part of the family.

It would have been cool to attend the final home game having been at the first one ever. With mom gone now decided not to because she was the kind of hockey mom you read about future NHL players talk about their mom's.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I love the current jerseys, but I really would not mind them wearing these. I feel like the names are too big on the back on the current ones. Less is more works sometimes. But just my opinion.

The main thing I dont get is if they had to keep the names on the back why didnt they make them orange like the numbers? IMO it looks stupid and does not match well with big orange numbers and the white nameplate. The names and numbers always match in color with all NHL teams. When I heard they were doing the original jerseys with orange numbers I had originally thought about bidding on one for the auction, but I wont now. Think it looks tacky.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I had just started dating my wife 6 months earlier when she called me one Saturday morning and said "My Dad has two extra tickets to some hockey game this afternoon would you like to go" I just about fell on the floor. A few short hours later I watched as Bobby Nystrom put an OT backhander in and Potvin raised the Islanders first cup. Needless to say she was hooked.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I had just started dating my wife 6 months earlier when she called me one Saturday morning and said "My Dad has two extra tickets to some hockey game this afternoon would you like to go" I just about fell on the floor. A few short hours later I watched as Bobby Nystrom put an OT backhander in and Potvin raised the Islanders first cup. Needless to say she was hooked.

LOL -- "some hockey game"

yes! Some game! Now THAT is a memory!!!!

Was anyone at the Morrow OT winner vs the Rags in 84?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I went on Sunday with a friend who was going for the last time. It didn't hit me until he pointed this out to me as I'll be there on the 11th. Even for someone like me who's all gung-ho for Brooklyn, 4/11 is going to be a little bittersweet. However, making some noise in the playoffs will cure that.

IslesPanthers11

Mar 25, 2007
My first game was back in December 28th, 1991. I was 8 and a huge Islander fan. My parents got us tickets for my Christmas present. Islanders vs Rangers! Game was tied 4-4 with about 5 seconds left my favorite player, Ray Ferraro, scored the game winning goal with a wrist shot from the slot.... Isles win!!!!

Me, my brother, and my mom got first row seats to Nystroms jersey retirement.

I took my son Wyatt to his first Islander game ever this year. He was 6 months old at the time. The last season opener at NVMC....Isles win!!!!

I remember a game that year where Tommy Fitzgerald scored to beat the rangers with 2.7 seconds left on the clock LOL....I jumped so high, I broke a toe when I landed on schoolbooks lol. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS GAME ON VIDEO? ALWAYS WANTED IT

BroadwayJay*

Should we do a final regular season game meetup for those of us not going?

IslesPanthers11

Mar 25, 2007

I hear ya. Not so sure though. THey just couldn't score against the canadiens trap, or Roy's last thrill....Greatest game I went to was game 6 against pens that year. Thomas with 2 goals and 2 assists!!!!! Friggin spectacular.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Should we do a final regular season game meetup for those of us not going?

You ready to drop 100's on playoffs, but not the last reg season?

PS -- sorry for your loss -- The trading and closing of Donovan. He and it shall be missed.

BroadwayJay*

You ready to drop 100's on playoffs, but not the last reg season?

PS -- sorry for your loss -- The trading and closing of Donovan. He and it shall be missed.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad