Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

i made a shift by shift (for the most part) game highlight of JHS in game 2 vs Oshawa Generals if anyone is interested

i normally do canucks prospects but JHS really stood out for me both in good and bad ways in this game so i gave him a shot ;)

Very enlightening to see him in action in the playoffs against a really tough opponent. What stood out to me:

Obviously overhandles a lot but without knowing how many other good puckhandlers he plays with its tough to fully judge whether it's him or the system that makes him try too much

Not scared to go into the corners but against AHL/NHL competition he is going to get hurt if he doesn't keep his head up more while there

Incredible vision on the passing, the slow saucer pass from the red line to his player cutting at the blue line was something most players wouldn't even see, much less complete stick to stick

Is willing to get back on the backcheck but sometimes fails to pick up the trailer on the rush if it is his man

One thing I think will be a strength in the NHL is that he will draw penalties

Will need to get stronger but his skating base is pretty wide so he can absorb some more than his size would indicate

Noticed his teammates tended to watch him too much instead of move to open spaces more. In the NHL his teammates will likely be more effective at giving him open spaces to pass to.

With the right linemates he will be pretty effective. Put him with Lee and Kulemin for example and that would be a pretty good chemistry.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
If you watch Tavares in warm ups he does tons of stick handling drills.

not saying there is anything wrong with it, just saying that he works hard at this, and seems to value shooting less.

IF he gets a reputation as just a passer, other teams will focus on this, and better be able to neutralize him. if he develops his shot, and is equally adept at both, then he will be harder to cover. becomes more versatile, more valuable.

i am not cheering against the kid, but i am not sold on him yet. i am positive that it is just a matter of time, though. his desire runs deep, from what i've seen, and i think he is smart enough to get it done.

Dice on Ice

Ho-Sang is an incredibly talented player but has so, so much to work out in his game before he is NHL ready. His tenure in Bridgeport, which will probably not come for another year, will do wonders for him. By that time, many of the Isles' quality defense prospects down there will be seasoned enough to make a big impact at that level. Hopefully, Josh will have enough quality forwards to play with as well, perhaps Dal Colle.

He's my favorite prospect since Hamonic, and I can't wait to get a closer look at him when he makes the pro jump.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I've watched a bunch of Ice Dog games this season. I know JHS has a lot of holes in his game. I know he hasn't exactly been lighting up the score-sheet.

But every time i come away thinking that he would have a ton more points if his line-mates were on the same level as him. JHS sees the ice so wellI really don't think his teammates aren't ready for the puck a lot of the time when he passes it to them. There is a strong possibility that he can be a better pro than he is a junior player.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Enjoyed reading the recent posts about JHS, lots interesting points everyone is bringing up both good and bad. The one that Scott and lovegun brought up about JHS playing center is something that is worth more discussion even if that doesn't become his position. Playing center as we all know carries different responsibilities, taking face offs, defensively and so on. Could be that JHS would benefit in playing such a role, getting a chance at a new challenge. With Niagara's top center Carter Verhaeghe finishing his junior career, don't know what they have coming, that might be an option for JHS on next year's Ice Dogs. You never know, raising a players ability to contribute to his team-he gets to like and takes to the new role.

What do you think, certainly worth talking about.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Enjoyed reading the recent posts about JHS, lots interesting points everyone is bringing up both good and bad. The one that Scott and lovegun brought up about JHS playing center is something that is worth more discussion even if that doesn't become his position. Playing center as we all know carries different responsibilities, taking face offs, defensively and so on. Could be that JHS would benefit in playing such a role, getting a chance at a new challenge. With Niagara's top center Carter Verhaeghe finishing his junior career, don't know what they have coming, that might be an option for JHS on next year's Ice Dogs. You never know, raising a players ability to contribute to his team-he gets to like and takes to the new role.

What do you think, certainly worth talking about.

This is a great post rex.

I'd like to see that as a matter of fact. He will be forced to atleast assert himself into learning or playing defense. His skill set certainly screams center. Will be interesting to see how the next few seasons pan or for him.

scott99

May 13, 2005
JHS kinda reminds me of Pat Lafontaine (minus the goal scoring touch), great speed and stick handling ability, as well as excellent passing ability. That's another reason I felt center would be a good position for him. Plus I think I remember JHS being a center at one time. He was being talked about 2 years before his NHL Draft (Hockey News maybe ?)

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
JHS kinda reminds me of Pat Lafontaine (minus the goal scoring touch), great speed and stick handling ability, as well as excellent passing ability. That's another reason I felt center would be a good position for him. Plus I think I remember JHS being a center at one time. He was being talked about 2 years before his NHL Draft (Hockey News maybe ?)

I agree, as I even think back to all my years playing hockey and while I was a right winger because of my decent size and goal scoring ability, I usually had a center, who was on the smaller side, but was quick and could really handle the puck, which we see in JHS. I really hope they try him at center next year, as I think that's where he will truly better his overall game and hopefully become possibly the steal of the 2014 draft, but only time will tell.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
April 16
OHL
Oshawa 7, Niagara 4-MDC, 2 goals (5, 6-EN), 3 assists, + 3, JHS, 1 assist, - 3. Oshawa leads series 3-1.

Last edited:

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
April 16
OHL
Oshawa 4, Niagara 0, end second period, MDC, 1 goal, 3 assists.

I know MDC has had a good playoff so far, I just wanted to point out that Ritchie (my preferential pick last draft) is #2 in scoring in the OHL playoffs, just above MDC. Ritchie is just dominating in the playoffs and has 10 goals, 2nd only to McDavid. His shot is overwhelming for goalies at this level and his game is built for the playoffs.

I like MDC, but I still prefer Ritchie. Ducks got a steal.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I know MDC has had a good playoff so far, I just wanted to point out that Ritchie (my preferential pick last draft) is #2 in scoring in the OHL playoffs, just above MDC. Ritchie is just dominating in the playoffs and has 10 goals, 2nd only to McDavid. His shot is overwhelming for goalies at this level and his game is built for the playoffs.

I think MDC has a higher upside than Ritchie. I think the rest of the NHL scouts felt the same, most had him as the consensus #5 overall, and some had him rated higher. Also, MDC had a much better regular season than Ritchie. MDC is just so consistent. I'd take him over Ritchie 10 out of 10 times. Current OHL playoffs not withstanding. No offense meant to your opinion, but I was thrilled with the MDC pick in June, and nothing has changed to make me think differently. MDC is also a better playmaker than Ritchie, and has a higher hockey IQ. I know Ritchie made Team Canada over MDC, but I doubt MDC would've scored only 1 goal in the tournament, even if he was on the 4th line.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I think MDC has a higher upside than Ritchie. I think the rest of the NHL scouts felt the same, most had him as the consensus #5 overall, and some had him rated higher. Also, MDC had a much better regular season than Ritchie. MDC is just so consistent. I'd take him over Ritchie 10 out of 10 times. Current OHL playoffs not withstanding. No offense meant to your opinion, but I was thrilled with the MDC pick in June, and nothing has changed to make me think differently. MDC is also a better playmaker than Ritchie, and has a higher hockey IQ. I know Ritchie made Team Canada over MDC, but I doubt MDC would've scored only 1 goal in the tournament, even if he was on the 4th line.

Actually most scouts thought Ritchie was inconsistent -- that was his biggest knock, not that MDC had higher upside. A lot of scouts actually thought Ritchie might have the highest upside in the entire draft. Ritchie's IQ and playmaking have always been underrated and I would go as far as to say he will have similar production as MDC in the NHL, with the added physical element.

I wasn't disappointed with the MDC pick, but most were scared off of Ritchie due to inconsistency. I always find it humorous when inconsistency is a knock against kids that are 17/18 years old. All of the same tools MDC has, Ritchie has, and then some.

WJC means very little in terms of their long term success, so it's a moot point.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Actually most scouts thought Ritchie was inconsistent -- that was his biggest knock, not that MDC had higher upside. A lot of scouts actually thought Ritchie might have the highest upside in the entire draft. Ritchie's IQ and playmaking have always been underrated and I would go as far as to say he will have similar production as MDC in the NHL, with the added physical element.

I wasn't disappointed with the MDC pick, but most were scared off of Ritchie due to inconsistency. I always find it humorous when inconsistency is a knock against kids that are 17/18 years old. All of the same tools MDC has, Ritchie has, and then some.

WJC means very little in terms of their long term success, so it's a moot point.

for me, it wasn't so much the inconsistency that concerned me with regards to ritchie. it was the injury/concussion? history. with not having a 1st rounder in '15, the isles couldn't afford to take a risk like that with a top 5 pick. granted, there's no guarantee MDC would stay healthy, but an established history of injury is a concern.
if it wasn't for that, ritchie would've been my pick as well. also, i'm wondering if it was the injuries that lead to his inconsistency in the first place.

who knows, without that, the isles might not have even had the chance to draft the kid in the first place.

at the end of the day, i think they made the right pick...even if it may not turn out to be the better pick.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie

I can definitely understand where you're coming from, as I get to watch Ritchie here in the Sault, as he has been a beast since coming here in a deadline trade. He is so strong on the puck, as it looks like he's a man amongst boys at times and his shot is heavy and accurate. Hounds coach Sheldon Keefe even says, the bigger the game, the bigger Ritchie plays, although he needs to watch his temper sometimes, but he is an absolute steal for Anaheim. I don't get too see MDC a lot, so I really can't compare the 2, although MDC had a 5 point night tonight and now have a commanding 3-1 lead over Niagara, so if it does come down to the Sault and Oshawa in the final, then it might be a little easier to compare MDC to Ritchie, as that would truly be an epic series, but I still like my Hounds to prevail. ;)

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011

I think an important factor that you have not pointed out is there is a 6 month age difference between the two. When it comes to OHL players that is a big deal. Ritchie has played an extra year, at this point he should definitely be putting up more points.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think an important factor that you have not pointed out is there is a 6 month age difference between the two. When it comes to OHL players that is a big deal. Ritchie has played an extra year, at this point he should definitely be putting up more points.

It's actually 7 months, I think the stats kind of speak for themselves. Over the last 2 seasons, MDC has scored 52 more points in only 24 more games in the regular season, and 10 more points in only 2 more games in the playoffs. I just think MDC is more explosive, Ritchie is definitely more of a power forward who is way more physical. And that physicalness is the ONLY trait I like about Ritchie more than MDC. Ritchie is a good prospect, but MDC will be a perfect compliment to Tavares. Great hands, smart player, very good playmaker, just the perfect pick for the Islanders. The fact that Ritchie went SEVERAL picks after MDC does not surprise me.

I might be biased, I was not a big fan of Ritchie's, I liked Ehlers more than him, and also Nylander.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
for me, it wasn't so much the inconsistency that concerned me with regards to ritchie. it was the injury/concussion? history. with not having a 1st rounder in '15, the isles couldn't afford to take a risk like that with a top 5 pick. granted, there's no guarantee MDC would stay healthy, but an established history of injury is a concern.
if it wasn't for that, ritchie would've been my pick as well. also, i'm wondering if it was the injuries that lead to his inconsistency in the first place.

who knows, without that, the isles might not have even had the chance to draft the kid in the first place.

at the end of the day, i think they made the right pick...even if it may not turn out to be the better pick.

Well put buddy, I'm in full agreement.

MDC was my top choice, but Ritchie was my 2nd. In the end, Dal Colle was the 'cleanest' prospect available to us at #5 and the fit couldn't have been better.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
On a more serious note, Niagara coach Marty Williamson was not on the bench last night. He went to the doctor a few weeks ago, test revealed his needed to have his heart checked, further tests showed something more serious. Looks like he needs some type of surgery and will have it done in Toronto he said in an interview. He is very hopeful he will be back coaching next season so best wishes for a full recovery to him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
On a more serious note, Niagara coach Marty Williamson was not on the bench last night. He went to the doctor a few weeks ago, test revealed his needed to have his heart checked, further tests showed something more serious. Looks like he needs some type of surgery and will have it done in Toronto he said in an interview. He is very hopeful he will be back coaching next season so best wishes for a full recovery to him.

Oh wow, didn't know that. I consider Williamson a part of the Isles family so best wishes to him and his family on a quick recovery.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Oh wow, didn't know that. I consider Williamson a part of the Isles family so best wishes to him and his family on a quick recovery.

They played a portion of the interview on the Niagara pre game last night, from what he described the doctors found an artery that was going to burst and he called it a blessing it was diagnosed before it did. He is a part of the Islander family, helping develop Strome and he has more work to do with JHS.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Something to keep in mind about guys like Ritchie when they're in Jr's..... their size lets them do a lot of things against 18 year olds that AHL/NHL level players would prevent from happening. A large portion of the draft goes into projection, particularly during the combine. If a player is dominating their age group, then goes to the combine and it becomes apparent they are a physical beast... that leaves little room for physical growth.

If a player dominates their age group and can't even do a single pullup in the combine, that raises red flags for the average fan.... but scouts see it as the player having a lot of room to become even better. This is why Sam Bennett was drafted high despite his physical weakness. There is a lot of room for him to improve his game and become an even more dominant player.

Also, Ritchie is a box of rocks.... his composure on the ice reminds me so much of Kadri when he was in Jr's.

Dice on Ice

Something to keep in mind about guys like Ritchie when they're in Jr's..... their size lets them do a lot of things against 18 year olds that AHL/NHL level players would prevent from happening. A large portion of the draft goes into projection, particularly during the combine. If a player is dominating their age group, then goes to the combine and it becomes apparent they are a physical beast... that leaves little room for physical growth.

If a player dominates their age group and can't even do a single pullup in the combine, that raises red flags for the average fan.... but scouts see it as the player having a lot of room to become even better. This is why Sam Bennett was drafted high despite his physical weakness. There is a lot of room for him to improve his game and become an even more dominant player.

Also, Ritchie is a box of rocks.... his composure on the ice reminds me so much of Kadri when he was in Jr's.

On the same theme, I cannot believe that Anthony DeAngelo went so high and his intangibles were pooh-poohed when Ho-Sang never heard the end of it about his intangibles and was apparently on several teams' "Do Not Draft" list. It's cliche to look at race in a situation like that, but the facts are the facts. I read about what DeAngelo did and laughed at the idea that somebody was still willing to roll the dice on him. Granted, I'm getting descriptions of DeAngelo's actions from secondhand sources, but some of it was legitimately shocking.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
On the same theme, I cannot believe that Anthony DeAngelo went so high and his intangibles were pooh-poohed when Ho-Sang never heard the end of it about his intangibles and was apparently on several teams' "Do Not Draft" list. It's cliche to look at race in a situation like that, but the facts are the facts. I read about what DeAngelo did and laughed at the idea that somebody was still willing to roll the dice on him. Granted, I'm getting descriptions of DeAngelo's actions from secondhand sources, but some of it was legitimately shocking.

I heard that a lot of negative off ice stuff came with DeAngelo, but so far he has been a perfect fit for our club, although I'm sure Sheldon Keefe has a lot to do with that, as he is a no nonsense coach, who doesn't play favorites and even benched DeAngelo in the 3rd period of our last came. DeAngelo and Ho Sang, will have a better chance of playing in the N.H.L if they keep their heads on straight, as a lack of maturity can affect any players chances to succeed.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
April 17
OHL
Oshawa 4, Niagara 2-MDC, 2 assists, even, JHS, even. Oshawa wins series 4-1, advance to eastern conference final vs North Bay-Barrie series winner, North Bay leads series 3-1.

WHL
Calgary 4, Medicine Hat 3 (2 OT)-Burroughs, + 1. Calgary wins series 4-1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad