Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just reading the local paper and checking out the Greyhounds draft choices from this past Saturday and noticed that the Saults 3rd round pick, defenceman Anthony Demeo hails from Port Washington, N.Y, but lives on Long Island is absolutely ecstatic to be drafted by the Hounds, as he played for the U19 New Jersey Rockets, so there is a little Long Island Greyhound connection. ;)

Port Washington IS on Long Island!! That's pretty cool.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
You are definitely right, as I was also a big Oil Kings fan last year once the Hounds got knocked out, and I will always root for our prospects teams to win it all, as long as my home town Hounds aren't involved which they are now. If the Greyhounds do happen to lose to Erie or Oshawa, then I will definitely root for MDC and Oshawa. I kind of think co GM Kyle Dubas will help bring Keefe to Toronto, but I hope not, as he would be great in the Isles organization. My dream season would be for the Isles to win their fifth Cup and the Greyhounds to win their 2nd Memorial Cup, but either way, its been a great year, as I'm proud to be an Islanders fan again, without having to solely think about the past, because our present and future looks pretty good, although its sad to leave Long Island.

Going to miss the Coliseum, though living 4 hours away made a lot of great friends over the years. Can't wait to go to Brooklyn for a game, it will be different.
If we get a Soo-Oshawa final, if it's anything like Edmonton-Portland last year we are in for a treat. That series was so exciting.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
Port Washington IS on Long Island!! That's pretty cool.

Awesome, as I didn't know that and that was the way they wrote it in the paper, so I myself didn't think it was on Long Island, but that is cool. New York City and Long Island are still a dream of mine to visit, as the closest I got was Buffalo, when going to see the Boss, Trotts and company playing at the old Auditorium, but some great memories there, as the NHL will never see dominant teams like that Islanders team anymore. They will likely be the last team to win 4 Cups in a row and ever more so, 19 playoff series in a row. :handclap:

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
Going to miss the Coliseum, though living 4 hours away made a lot of great friends over the years. Can't wait to go to Brooklyn for a game, it will be different.
If we get a Soo-Oshawa final, if it's anything like Edmonton-Portland last year we are in for a treat. That series was so exciting.
I envy everyone who gets to go to the Isles games, because I would get chills, just watching the games on TV or trying to find a station on AM radio and hearing that siren go off and the crowd going crazy when the Isles scored. I am pretty sure that it will be the Soo and Oshawa, which would be a great series. I bleed the Red and White of the Greyhounds, along with the Blue, Orange and White of the Islanders, but realize how difficult it is to win a Championship these days, so while I'm confident in the Hounds chances, I try not to get too opinionated or cocky, because all of us can be served a slice of humble pie at any time. I am quietly confident in the Isles chances against the Caps, as most people I know are predicting Washington to win and O.V to have a great series, but I hope we can contain him and advance to the 2nd round. :handclap:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I envy everyone who gets to go to the Isles games, because I would get chills, just watching the games on TV or trying to find a station on AM radio and hearing that siren go off and the crowd going crazy when the Isles scored. I am pretty sure that it will be the Soo and Oshawa, which would be a great series. I bleed the Red and White of the Greyhounds, along with the Blue, Orange and White of the Islanders, but realize how difficult it is to win a Championship these days, so while I'm confident in the Hounds chances, I try not to get too opinionated or cocky, because all of us can be served a slice of humble pie at any time. I am quietly confident in the Isles chances against the Caps, as most people I know are predicting Washington to win and O.V to have a great series, but I hope we can contain him and advance to the 2nd round. :handclap:

lovegun, very sorry a dedicated fan like you never made it to the Coliseum. The sightlines are fantastic no matter where you sit, the building when its full rocks like no other. While you can get somewhat of a feel of it on radio or TV, any Islander fan should have had the expiirience even just once. Went to the draft party for JT's draft and couldn't believe how loud it was and that was not even a game.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
lovegun, very sorry a dedicated fan like you never made it to the Coliseum. The sightlines are fantastic no matter where you sit, the building when its full rocks like no other. While you can get somewhat of a feel of it on radio or TV, any Islander fan should have had the expiirience even just once. Went to the draft party for JT's draft and couldn't believe how loud it was and that was not even a game.
Thanks, as I still have hopes to seeing New York, but it looks like Brooklyn will be the place in which I see the Isles play. I'm not sure, but when was the last year the Isles used the siren at their home games after scoring, as I don't recall any other team doing that, although a I could be wrong. Well, curious to see if Niagara can get back in the series against Oshawa, but I don't really believe they will. Anyway, thanks for your take on actually being there, as I am going to enjoy these last games at the Coliseum on TV and probably have flash backs of the early 80's :yo:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Man JHS is an assist machine!

Wish he would score a goal here and there. Does he even take shots?

Have only seen JHS live once and on TV three times this year. From listening to the Niagara broadcasts the announcers have said he does pass up some shots. From the littke I have seen (our friend Sidney if he sees this-he would know best since he sees the juniors play) JHS doesn't seem to get himself into scoring position enough, plays a lot on the perimeter. On the other side MDC gets into those good scoring postions. Last night JHS had a very good game.

Highlights are one the OHL web site

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
For all those who were saying JHS is selfish, I believe he is one of the assist leaders in the OHL playoffs.

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
When scouts called Ho Sang selfish, they meant selfish in that he's been told that his style of play will not work in the NHL. He is unwilling to change or even give it a second of thought. I think those concerns that scouts have are valid. Sometimes JHS will skate around in his own zone circling back for 10 seconds to attempt to carry the puck end to end. Will he have the puck that much at the NHL level? Will he be trusted enough by coaches to get scoring line ice time?

My issue with JHS is simple. He has world class puck handling skills and is improving in his decision making with the puck. With that said, is he willing to fight for the puck and get it back? He will need to at the NHL level. There's much more to the game then what you do with the puck on your stick and I'm not quite sure that he is willing to acknowledge that.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
For me, JHS is selfish because he isn't willing to go to the dirty areas, has his own agenda during team warmups, and isn't willing to backcheck or make the simple play at times.

I don't think scouts mean that he is literally selfish with the puck. His demeanor is selfish.

scott99

May 13, 2005
For me, JHS is selfish because he isn't willing to go to the dirty areas, has his own agenda during team warmups, and isn't willing to backcheck or make the simple play at times.

I don't think scouts mean that he is literally selfish with the puck. His demeanor is selfish.

i think in the long run, he's going to wind up being a center, with his excellent passing abilities. I think he was a center when he was younger too.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
the commentators stated that in warm-ups, JHS spent it solely stick handling, while the others were warming up the goalie by taking shots. seems he really values this part of the game. i think it is best if all players try to be balanced at all aspects of the game. he has his weaknesses, but he is a huge talent at stick handling, skating and passing. should be interesting to see how he progresses.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

i made a shift by shift (for the most part) game highlight of JHS in game 2 vs Oshawa Generals if anyone is interested

i normally do canucks prospects but JHS really stood out for me both in good and bad ways in this game so i gave him a shot ;)

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
i think in the long run, he's going to wind up being a center, with his excellent passing abilities. I think he was a center when he was younger too.

I think he is best suited to be a center and truly believe he will mature into an all around better player in time, as he is only 18 and some kids do take a little longer to realize that they need to work more on their weaknesses than their strengths, but he has the God given talent and you can always work with that.

scott99

May 13, 2005
the commentators stated that in warm-ups, JHS spent it solely stick handling, while the others were warming up the goalie by taking shots. seems he really values this part of the game. i think it is best if all players try to be balanced at all aspects of the game. he has his weaknesses, but he is a huge talent at stick handling, skating and passing. should be interesting to see how he progresses.

If you watch Tavares in warm ups he does tons of stick handling drills.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
When scouts called Ho Sang selfish, they meant selfish in that he's been told that his style of play will not work in the NHL. He is unwilling to change or even give it a second of thought. I think those concerns that scouts have are valid. Sometimes JHS will skate around in his own zone circling back for 10 seconds to attempt to carry the puck end to end. Will he have the puck that much at the NHL level? Will he be trusted enough by coaches to get scoring line ice time?

My issue with JHS is simple. He has world class puck handling skills and is improving in his decision making with the puck. With that said, is he willing to fight for the puck and get it back? He will need to at the NHL level. There's much more to the game then what you do with the puck on your stick and I'm not quite sure that he is willing to acknowledge that.

Sounds a lot like Strome a year after we drafted him. I have no doubt that another year in Junior and a year+ in Bridgeport will do wonders for his overall game, much like it did for Strome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad