Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Parker Wotherspoon with 3 assists last night. 2 even strength primary assists and a secondary assist on the PP.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I believe Ilya Sorokin started two of the last three games and has now moved to a 1.31 GAA and .936 SVS%. In the last game, I also believe that Andrei Filonenko was list as the backup goalie. Any news if Viktor Fasth is being called up or on standby for the WC or hurt? Something must have happened if Fasth is not with CSKA MOSKVA or cannot play right now.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I believe Ilya Sorokin started two of the last three games and has now moved to a 1.31 GAA and .936 SVS%. In the last game, I also believe that Andrei Filonenko was list as the backup goalie. Any news if Viktor Fasth is being called up or on standby for the WC or hurt? Something must have happened if Fasth is not with CSKA MOSKVA or cannot play right now.

In one game, I know he won, but gave up 2 goals on 11 shots. That made his stats go way up from 1.12 ga and .952 sp. Well, way up for him.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
How is CSKA's defense though, are they top of the league? I find it crazy a 20 year old can already dominate the 2nd best league in the world...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How is CSKA's defense though, are they top of the league? I find it crazy a 20 year old can already dominate the 2nd best league in the world...

They're a really good team all around team but Sorokin still makes the saves. He's not carried or sheltered by his team at all IMO.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
what's Sorokin's contract status? When/will he ever come over?

Sorokin is signed to a two-year contract, until after the KHL 2017-18 season. And that isn't necessarily bad.

The Isles can watch him for the next two years and compile a lot of scouting of both KHL and Int'l games to determine if they see Sorokin as a NHL starter and/or try to determine if he is going to come over as the backup first, behind an entrenched starter, or as a tandem goalie alongside a vet like Greiss, where they split starts.

And who knows, maybe after this season CSKA determines that if they are eventually going to lose Sorokin to the NHL, and Fasth plays well or they have their eye on another goalie that they believe will stick around long term, maybe a buyout can be arranged for that final year?

I just hope he keeps progressing and it will all work itself out in the end. The Isles definitely don't need any more bodies this season. What with Halak, Greiss and Berube at the NHL level and Gibson, Williams and McAdam at the AHL/ECHL level. It will be interesting to watch how that works itself out.

By the way, any word from our Swedish fans/supporters, is Linus Soderstom expected to make HV71?

I understand that they have Fredrik Pettersson Wentzel entrenched as the starter, however, if Soderstrom makes the team as the backup, that isn't bad. He should get quality practice time and will play against men, albeit in probably limited game starts unless an injury strikes. According to Elite Prospects, it looks like his contract was transferred from Djurgardens IF to HV71 back in April 2016.

All in all, I love the goalie pipeline right now.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Viktor Fasth took the loss against Barys, letting in 4 goals (3 ESG and 1 PPG) on just 18 shots.

Fasth is down to: 7 GP, 1.88 GAA and a .908 SVS% vs. Sorokin's 6 GP, 1.08 GAA and a .944 SVS%.

This ridiculous "competition" for the CSKA #1 spot should be over very soon.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
4th round pick Otto Koivula has appeared in 3 games in Liiga for his team Ilves scoring 1 assist so far and averaging 13:50 minutes of ice time.

This is one of the best notes whatsoever in this young season.

You don't play 10+ top-league minutes per game in Liiga as a 17/18-year old without having some goods.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
His slow start wasn't that bad. Not great, but not awful either.

12 GP 5 points, 1 goal.

Lets hope he bounces back.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ilya Sorokin got another shutout today, stopped 25 shots this time.

So has sanity been restored with Sorokin as the clear-cut starter with Fasth as the erstwhile backup?

The numbers sure say that should be the case -

Ilya Sorokin 8GP, 1.05 GAA .949 SVS%

vs.

Viktor Fasth 7GP, 1.88 GAA .908 SVS%

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
So has sanity been restored with Sorokin as the clear-cut starter with Fasth as the erstwhile backup?

The numbers sure say that should be the case -

Ilya Sorokin 8GP, 1.05 GAA .949 SVS%

vs.

Viktor Fasth 7GP, 1.88 GAA .908 SVS%

Crazy how a 1.88 GAA translates to .908 SV%. So few goals in that league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad