Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
is he related to Pavel?

It is Pavel, the old man is still playing and flourishing in the KHL.

Just like the barbers in Coming to America talking about Joe Louis, who one insisted was seventy-six years old, Pavel has to be closing in on 50.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It is Pavel, the old man is still playing and flourishing in the KHL.

Just like the barbers in Coming to America talking about Joe Louis, who one insisted was seventy-six years old, Pavel has to be closing in on 50.

Yeah that’s why I asked if he was related. This is the prospects thread and I highly doubt 63 year old Datsyuk wants to come back to the nhl at this point. Even though he’s probably still better than a lot of guys.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
C6EB51D4-A681-4EDF-9085-3D711E2BD4A9.png
I wonder if they’re only sending the Euro kids overseas for now. Bellows not sent yet, does that mean he’s trade bait?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
View attachment 371454 I wonder if they’re only sending the Euro kids overseas for now. Bellows not sent yet, does that mean he’s trade bait?
Kid needs to play.

In Lou's post draft presser he said he was trying to find teams to send our AHLers to that allow them to do what they do best.

I take that to mean nothing instructional. So in Wahlstrom's case he goes to a place where he can snipe, snipe, snipe.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Kid needs to play.

In Lou's post draft presser he said he was trying to find teams to send our AHLers to that allow them to do what they do best.

I take that to mean nothing instructional. So in Wahlstrom's case he goes to a place where he can snipe, snipe, snipe.
In the words of Al Arbor and I paraphrase ,in discussing Mike Bossy. I can teach him defense his scoring is God given. that's not a quote.
But you get it.

Reactions: MJF

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Kid needs to play.

Ugh.Let’s see if Lou sends him to Europe now..

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
+ = on IR or just hurt

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113AIK / HockeyAllsvenskan42130-5
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #238HC Vita Hasten / HockeyAllsvenskan100000
Anatoli GolyshevLW/RW2016 round 4 #95NRAvtomobilist Yekaterinburg/KHL11639203
Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #439TPS / Liiga321301
Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4620Orebro HK / SHL513422
William DufourRW2020 round 5 #152NRDrummondville Voltigeurs / QMJHL203342
Alexander LjungkrantzLW2020 round 3 #90NRBrynas IF / SHL720280
Matias RajaniemiD2020 round 6 #183NRPelicans / Liiga200000
GOALIES GPGAASV%SOW-L-T
Henrik TikkanenG2020 round 7 #214NRIPK / Mestis21.50.93302-0-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
+ = on IR or just hurt

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113AIK / HockeyAllsvenskan42130-5
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #238HC Vita Hasten / HockeyAllsvenskan100000
Anatoli GolyshevLW/RW2016 round 4 #95NRAvtomobilist Yekaterinburg/KHL11639203
Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #439TPS / Liiga321301
Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4620Orebro HK / SHL513422
William DufourRW2020 round 5 #152NRDrummondville Voltigeurs / QMJHL203342
Alexander LjungkrantzLW2020 round 3 #90NRBrynas IF / SHL720280
Matias RajaniemiD2020 round 6 #183NRPelicans / Liiga200000
GOALIESGPGAASV%SOW-L-T
Henrik TikkanenG2020 round 7 #214NRIPK / Mestis21.50.93302-0-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ljungkrantz is actually at 3 goals in 7 games.

BUT, you need to mention that those stats are with the junior team. He's not playing in SHL at the moment.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Ljungkrantz is actually at 3 goals in 7 games.

BUT, you need to mention that those stats are with the junior team. He's not playing in SHL at the moment.

Whoops, I just went based on the stat line under the teams depth chart in EP, looks like it didn’t include the junior stats. I’ll update it later.

Here's the Islanders' draft review from Eliteprospects Rinkside:
View attachment 371941

Not good as I really trust EP for their Swedish knowledge, guess we’ll see what happens there.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not good as I really trust EP for their Swedish knowledge, guess we’ll see what happens there.

Then again, they have a "scout/writer" for most all important regions and then go with what that one guy is saying. One can take that for what it's worth.

In addition, their draft guide (over 1100 pages, but no functioning "Search tool" in their PDF-version) was basically 150 pages with pictures and opinion and then millions of paragraphs of in-season scouting reports from individual games. Of their top 129 players, there were gobs of them that weren't showing up anywhere else and didn't end up getting picked either, so there's that...

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Then again, they have a "scout/writer" for most all important regions and then go with what that one guy is saying. One can take that for what it's worth.

In addition, their draft guide (over 1100 pages, but no functioning "Search tool" in their PDF-version) was basically 150 pages with pictures and opinion and then millions of paragraphs of in-season scouting reports from individual games. Of their top 129 players, there were gobs of them that weren't showing up anywhere else and didn't end up getting picked either, so there's that...

It's not only them. Virtually every scouting agency had him unranked or 7th round. Even if they aren't full time scouts they do watch a lot of junior hockey, international tournaments, national games etc. Having played for Sweden at several age groups he must have been watched by lots of different scouts over the years, and all seem to agree he is not an NHL prospect, except those who work for the Islanders. As I've said before this pick reminds of Jason Clark who was picked in the 3rd round of 2010 and everyone scratched their heads at it.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
This is like picking in MLB after the first round. You are trying to project at 18/19 what a player will be at 25. It is a very imprecise science and certain things are beyond your control like injuries. Not to mention, people this high are usually dominating their competition despite flaws in their games and you can’t always say whether that will work at the next level. About the only thing that appears to definitely not translate is that if you don’t have hockey IQ you aren’t going to make it.

Reactions: buud

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It's not only them. Virtually every scouting agency had him unranked or 7th round. Even if they aren't full time scouts they do watch a lot of junior hockey, international tournaments, national games etc. Having played for Sweden at several age groups he must have been watched by lots of different scouts over the years, and all seem to agree he is not an NHL prospect, except those who work for the Islanders. As I've said before this pick reminds of Jason Clark who was picked in the 3rd round of 2010 and everyone scratched their heads at it.

I wrote my opinion on this pick in the 2020 Draft thread just before it was closed.

I'm sure you'll concur with what I wrote there.

Ironically, now a few days later, I'm even more disappointed than I initially was. It was the other way around last summer.

We can't change it though and if what Lou said in the interview at the Islanders' homepage is true, he basically left this thing entirely to scouting staff. Gotta think he was more busy worrying about free agency, the salary cap, and our RFAs anyhow.

My hope is that once the main roster is taken care of, a few of these kids who have gone undrafted for a number of years - despite being considered very legit by the independent agencies - will be brought in on AHL contracts to get a real look at them, as several look like legit NHLers in various capacities.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wrote my opinion on this pick in the 2020 Draft thread just before it was closed.

I'm sure you'll concur with what I wrote there.

Ironically, now a few days later, I'm even more disappointed than I initially was. It was the other way around last summer.

We can't change it though and if what Lou said in the interview at the Islanders' homepage is true, he basically left this thing entirely to scouting staff. Gotta think he was more busy worrying about free agency, the salary cap, and our RFAs anyhow.

My hope is that once the main roster is taken care of, a few of these kids who have gone undrafted for a number of years - despite being considered very legit by the independent agencies - will be brought in on AHL contracts to get a real look at them, as several look like legit NHLers in various capacities.
I don't know anything about any of these kids but Lou picks the scouting staff and so how any of it works out is ultimately on him regardless of who he left it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad