Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

I had heard a rumor through a friend of a friend a week or two ago that there was some shakeup of the Bridgeport coaching staff, looks like that was true.

Thompson is still HC, but there's some shakeup of the assistant coaches.

Good. Lets see if the assistants can help this team and staff as well

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Raty is probably the best upside we've had judging on actual potential, but I still have cautious optimism.

I would not go so far as Wahlstrom’s upside of a top line winger is backed up by a fine rookie season. I am not willing to go that far with Raty who won’t be an NHL rookie for at least 1-2 seasons if not 3-4.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I would not go so far as Wahlstrom’s upside of a top line winger is backed up by a fine rookie season. I am not willing to go that far with Raty who won’t be an NHL rookie for at least 1-2 seasons if not 3-4.
Hence why i'm very cautious with my optimism.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not sure if this has been posted for Iskhakov.

The kid is certainly slick, would be a nice player on the right half wall on the PP if he makes it. Never been a fan of smurfs, but this kid could be useful.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

The kid is certainly slick, would be a nice player on the right half wall on the PP if he makes it. Never been a fan of smurfs, but this kid could be useful.

Has to sign by this year or else he's a free agent btw

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Has to sign by this year or else he's a free agent btw

My impression is that his decision to play with Mannheim this season, which has absolutely loaded up on big-time personnel for not only the DEL title, but also the Champions Hockey League title, is all about not only signing that ELC next offseason, but being at a point where he can compete for an NHL job basically right away.

I don't think his camp has much intention of seeing him spend all too much time in the AHL.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
My impression is that his decision to play with Mannheim this season, which has absolutely loaded up on big-time personnel for not only the DEL title, but also the Champions Hockey League title, is all about not only signing that ELC next offseason, but being at a point where he can compete for an NHL job basically right away.

I don't think his camp has much intention of seeing him spend all too much time in the AHL.
That also implies he is playing for a center role

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That also implies he is playing for a center role

I would hope so.

By European standards, the team is stacked. A lot of GER national team players. A lot of guys with some form of NHL experience. A lot of guys with AHL/KHL/SHL backgrounds.

And although there are a lot of center options, not all of them strictly play center. It'll be very interesting to see what goes down.
Adler Mannheim at eliteprospects.com

Honestly, there's a lot of competition there and although Mannheim really, really has become not only a strong European club in general, but also good place to develop your game, the organization itself is not there to "develop future NHLers", so to speak. They'll grab top-flight German talent (see Seider and Stützle), and their track record with such young German talents is getting good, but they're in the business of winning. A kid won't be getting any special status because he's shooting for the draft or was a highly drafted player.

Reactions: xECK29x

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Here is a quick depth chart for potential Bridgeport roster:
LWCRWLDRDGK
1BELLOWSKOIVULAHOLMSTROMBOLDUCHUTTONSKAREK
2TERRYNEWKIRKGOLYSHEVSALOWILDEAPPLEBY
3ADAMSMACLEANCZARNIKWOTHERSPOONVANDE SOMPEL
4BROWNKUBIAKDURANDEAUHICKEY
5JENKINSBIBEAUCOSKEY
6DAL COLLE*KOMAROVPANIK
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The players in BOLD have played more than 260 pro games... if Dal Colle signs and clears waivers and is sent down to Bridgeport for depth - Isles have a total of 6 players, who have played 260 Pro games, which I believe is the limit.

If NHL decides to implement a Taxi Squad, then I can see Hickey, Leo, Panik, and Dal Colle on that Taxi squad.

Reactions: islesfan3913

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

The bigger ice enables him to have more time and space to dangle and make plays. I’d like to see him return to NA, perhaps BP, and see what he can do.

He’s clearly slick and crafty. Reminds me of Tatar.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't know if Raty can ever be a Barkov level player, that's if everything comes together perfectly and a shit ton of luck sprinkled in. I think if everything comes together then maybe Raty can be a Mikko Koivu type of player as a best case scenario and that would be grand larceny at #52 overall.

Wally has a special shot and has a surprisingly good emerging overall game. I'm thinking a MaxPac type, but a righty.

I'm going to quote this because I do not think Wahlstrom gets enough credit around here while he is playing. Yes we all read about how he should have played ahead of Komarov. But the Islanders have a young player here who could score 30 if he shows he deserves more ice time this training camp.

Regarding Raty I absolutely loved the pick and I already rank him ahead of Holmstrom.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm going to quote this because I do not think Wahlstrom gets enough credit around here while he is playing. Yes we all read about how he should have played ahead of Komarov. But the Islanders have a young player here who could score 30 if he shows he deserves more ice time this training camp.

Regarding Raty I absolutely loved the pick and I already rank him ahead of Holmstrom.

Who did we read this from?

And does that whoever have, I dunno, like a quote from Trotz, something like, "Sure, we were basically 2 goals away from playing for the Cup. My mistake was not playing a rookie coming off a huge, discombobulating, earthshattering hit over vets like Komarov and Zajac, who were part of getting us through 2 series and making it to Game 7 of the Conference Finals, but ultimately didn't get us over the top. And that's something Wahlstrom would have definitely, without a doubt, done. So, the onus is on me. I clearly made a huge mistake with the decisions I made that only got us to Game 7 of the Conference Finals against the eventual and repeating SC champion."

Reactions: MJF and Wanderson

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Who did we read this from?

And does that whoever have, I dunno, like a quote from Trotz, something like, "Sure, we were basically 2 goals away from playing for the Cup. My mistake was not playing a rookie coming off a huge, discombobulating, earthshattering hit over vets like Komarov and Zajac, who were part of getting us through 2 series and making it to Game 7 of the Conference Finals, but ultimately didn't get us over the top. And that's something Wahlstrom would have definitely, without a doubt, done. So, the onus is on me. I clearly made a huge mistake with the decisions I made that only got us to Game 7 of the Conference Finals against the eventual and repeating SC champion."

Many posters hear think that. I don't think it makes a difference but go back and read days after this team was eliminated.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Many posters hear think that. I don't think it makes a difference but go back and read days after this team was eliminated.
i recall a debate, for sure, but i don't think there was any big consensus.

i was hoping to see more of Wahlstrom, but i was also hoping that BT kept him out. we don't need him having perpetual concussion issues. and i was fine with Leo, who gets a bad rap around here, because he's not a prolific scorer.

Leo can play almost anywhere, and even a bit of piano.

Reactions: Seph and MJF

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I think most of the Wahlstrom clamoring was centered around the crappy PP we had....
It’s not even just that though. The Isles consistently played one player who could beat a goalie one on one with just his shot, and that was Nelson

Wahlstrom’s shot is just as, if not harder, than Nelson’s and his release is wayyyy better

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
i was hoping to see more of Wahlstrom, but i was also hoping that BT kept him out. we don't need him having perpetual concussion issues. and i was fine with Leo, who gets a bad rap around here, because he's not a prolific scorer.

Attention Isles' fans:

We have a winner in this offseason's Understatement of the Year contest.

Please, no more entries.

Thanks to all who participated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad