Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
As I said in the other thread AR’s potential compensates for not having a 1st rounder in the past two drafts. He’s essentially a first rounder.

He looks to be the total package of skill sets (minus the skating, but that can be improved).

I really can’t remember the last time NYI drafted an elite forward outside of the 1st round (I don’t consider Lee elite).
TECHNICALLY we can say Matty Marts but it really is Lee, Cizikas, or Comeau (if you wanna say elite)

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
From the myriad of videos, AR is slick. His hands are so quick; whether he's shooting or passing. Off his tape like nothing.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
As I said in the other thread AR’s potential compensates for not having a 1st rounder in the past two drafts. He’s essentially a first rounder.

He looks to be the total package of skill sets (minus the skating, but that can be improved).

I really can’t remember the last time NYI drafted an elite forward outside of the 1st round (I don’t consider Lee elite).
If better than Lee is what we are calling elite, Tonelli in 1977 is the only forward we have drafted at a position outside of where the 1st round would be currently, and at 33rd OA it would have been the first pick of the 2nd round today. If we look only at the round at the time they were drafted, then you also have Palffy at 26th OA in 1991 and Trottier at 22nd OA in 1974.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
If better than Lee is what we are calling elite, Tonelli in 1977 is the only forward we have drafted at a position outside of where the 1st round would be currently, and at 33rd OA it would have been the first pick of the 2nd round today. If we look only at the round at the time they were drafted, then you also have Palffy at 26th OA in 1991 and Trottier at 22nd OA in 1974.

Palffy was a 1st rounder.

I suppose NYI haven’t then. There’s always a first time.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I just hope this kickstarts the overall change in prospects. I do wish Bridgeport gets better as a result

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Does Raty have a higher upside than Wahlstrom?

Yes because he’s a center and his upside is Barkov. That being said, I’m more confident at the moment in Wahlstrom who’s upside is a 40+ goal scorer in his prime. I think Wally will have a really good career and be a constant 30 goal guy.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Does Raty have a higher upside than Wahlstrom?
I don’t think so. This was a much weaker draft than 2018, and Wahlstrom went 11th. Raty went 52nd in a defense heavy draft, meaning teams that needed forwards, ignored Raty. Not attacking Raty, he was an incredibly phenomenal pick for the Isles. I think he had an opposite projection than Wahlstrom though. Raty was thought of as the #1 overall pick a year prior to his draft, and fell to 52 due to his bad pre draft year. Wahlstrom wasn’t on the radar, and skyrocketed due to his great pre draft year.

Wahlstrom has an elite shot, and has a chance to be a perennial 30+ a year goal scorer. I think Raty will be a 2nd line center.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i see every reason to believe that one day soon (3-4 years), we may see a Raty - Barzal - Wahlstrom line.

Dobber:
"A play-driving offensive center who plays a solid 200-foot game. A dual-threat because he can both make plays and finish them. Great skating ability combined with high-end puck-skills makes him a threat all over the ice. Needs to work on his consistency and discipline. Projects to become a very good number one center. A legitimate threat to go first overall in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft."

yes please!

of course there are many ways it can play out, but i can dream :)

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yes because he’s a center and his upside is Barkov. That being said, I’m more confident at the moment in Wahlstrom who’s upside is a 40+ goal scorer in his prime. I think Wally will have a really good career and be a constant 30 goal guy.

I don't know if Raty can ever be a Barkov level player, that's if everything comes together perfectly and a shit ton of luck sprinkled in. I think if everything comes together then maybe Raty can be a Mikko Koivu type of player as a best case scenario and that would be grand larceny at #52 overall.

Wally has a special shot and has a surprisingly good emerging overall game. I'm thinking a MaxPac type, but a righty.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't know if Raty can ever be a Barkov level player, that's if everything comes together perfectly and a shit ton of luck sprinkled in. I think if everything comes together then maybe Raty can be a Mikko Koivu type of player as a best case scenario and that would be grand larceny at #52 overall.

Wally has a special shot and has a surprisingly good emerging overall game. I'm thinking a MaxPac type, but a righty.

I’d take Mikko all day! I was saying Barkov as in his top potential if everything goes right that’s his ceiling. If he becomes a legit #2 center who can put up 60+Pts I’d do back flips!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
i see every reason to believe that one day soon (3-4 years), we may see a Raty - Barzal - Wahlstrom line.

Dobber:
"A play-driving offensive center who plays a solid 200-foot game. A dual-threat because he can both make plays and finish them. Great skating ability combined with high-end puck-skills makes him a threat all over the ice. Needs to work on his consistency and discipline. Projects to become a very good number one center. A legitimate threat to go first overall in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft."

yes please!

of course there are many ways it can play out, but i can dream :)

He’s such a natural center though. Think he’s best served being Barzals Padawan.

kind of what Barzal was too Tavares

Reactions: buud

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
He’s such a natural center though. Think he’s best served being Barzals Padawan.

kind of what Barzal was too Tavares
i haven't watched him enough to know, but i will trust your opinion. from my limited viewings, i think that his lack of speed, and just general skating, makes him a good candidate to be converted to wing. his size as well, would be beneficial for doing boardwork.

in any event, i am just excited to have him aboard! IMO, a definite 'add to the core', type of player. and i just get the feeling that he will be relevant, real soon. :)

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. From the bits I've seen, there is a stylistic comparison to Koivu. I see a lot of MaxPac in Whalstrom, especially if he can add a gear to his skating.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

I had heard a rumor through a friend of a friend a week or two ago that there was some shakeup of the Bridgeport coaching staff, looks like that was true.

Thompson is still HC, but there's some shakeup of the assistant coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad