Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I watched that game and thought Darandeau was bad, really liked Whalstrom, Jobst, St Denis, Bellows, McDonald. Aho was up and down.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The seasons Aho, Wotherspoon, and even Hutton are having, considering how long they've been pros in BPort, are OK. None has completely fallen off the earth, so to speak.

Coming in, I expected more from each of them. Obviously, guys are also influenced and in many ways dependent upon their surroundings, their teammates, the coaches, and the systems.

As recently mentioned, each of Aho and Wotherspoon are about to wrap up their ELCs. I'm honestly not certain if either will be retained.

Hutton has one more year on his contract and I'm really hoping the Hutton we've seen in recent weeks is a sign of the one we're going to see from here on out.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Honestly I think all the first year pros are having pretty darn good seasons all things considered....minus the goaltending.

Really?

Just have seen too many droughts and not enough consistency. I suppose I expected more of a few like Wahlstrom, Jobst, and Hutton in light of how they ended last season and played this preseason.

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Really?

Just have seen too many droughts and not enough consistency. I suppose I suspected more of a few like Wahlstrom, Jobst, and Hutton in light of how they ended last season and played this preseason.

Compared to where they were at the start of the year? Yes. They have really turned their game around for the most part. Still not a good club overall, but much better then what it was. Injuries ruined this season before it really even got off the ground, now that the team has been able to have a mostly steadly lineup you can see they have increased their overall play and the first-year pros are gaining confidence.

Reactions: buud

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Grant Hutton with a 3 assist game yesterday(watched game on NHL network). Every time I watch him he just looks poised and steady. Really think he could be a nice find.

Or we could sign Dan Hamhuis for depth . . . 37 years old and familiar with the system . . .

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Grant Hutton with a 3 assist game yesterday(watched game on NHL network). Every time I watch him he just looks poised and steady. Really think he could be a nice find.

I haven't watched him in Bridgeport but whenever I see him play I always like what I see. Seems very poised and knows what he should be doing. I'm higher on him than any other defensive prospect (sans Dobson).

Reactions: xECK29x

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
The seasons Aho, Wotherspoon, and even Hutton are having, considering how long they've been pros in BPort, are OK. None has completely fallen off the earth, so to speak.

Coming in, I expected more from each of them. Obviously, guys are also influenced and in many ways dependent upon their surroundings, their teammates, the coaches, and the systems.

As recently mentioned, each of Aho and Wotherspoon are about to wrap up their ELCs. I'm honestly not certain if either will be retained.

Hutton has one more year on his contract and I'm really hoping the Hutton we've seen in recent weeks is a sign of the one we're going to see from here on out.

Hutton is a RFA after this season and except for the 9 games last season this is his first full season as a pro after 4 years in college.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I’d rather trade a 2nd for him.

Have to make sure we never play a kid again, look how Barzal is regressing! He definitely needs some time in Bridgeport. We can pick up Sam Gagner on waivers to fill in!

I wonder how many more 'must win' games we can blow before it gets serious . . .

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Have to make sure we never play a kid again, look how Barzal is regressing! He definitely needs some time in Bridgeport. We can pick up Sam Gagner on waivers to fill in!

I wonder how many more 'must win' games we can blow before it gets serious . . .

Not sure why Bellows is not up at this point. Wahlstrom is obviously down so his ELC slides another season but Bellows should be up by this point. There is not much more at this point to call up though.

And I should point out that calling Bellows up does not single handedly turn this season around, the top six needs to start scoring again (as well as the bottom six).

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hutton is a RFA after this season and except for the 9 games last season this is his first full season as a pro after 4 years in college.

Oh indeed. Fully aware of that.

The sentence is meant to say, "The seasons that each of Aho, Wotherspoon, and Hutton are having - taking into account that the first two are in their third AHL season and the latter in his first - are OK."

Interestingly, Hutton is actually the oldest of the three.

All three are RFAs this summer.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not sure why Bellows is not up at this point. Wahlstrom is obviously down so his ELC slides another season but Bellows should be up by this point. There is not much more at this point to call up though.

And I should point out that calling Bellows up does not single handedly turn this season around, the top six needs to start scoring again (as well as the bottom six).

This should actually be really clear.

We're in the stretch drive and Bellows is not a bottom six player for this phase of the season.

Likewise, you have to be going with your horses at this point and he's certainly not playing ahead of Lee, Eberle, Bailey, and Beauvillier. They bring too many other things to the equation that you can't remove "in hopes" of Bellows being able to snipe.

And honestly, he had 3 points in his first two NHL games this season. Awesome, but then nothing in the 5 after that. No established NHL coach with any experience is putting a kid in THAT pressure-cooking of a situation based on that intro - not unless pure, pure, pure desperation sets in.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This should actually be really clear.

We're in the stretch drive and Bellows is not a bottom six player for this phase of the season.

Likewise, you have to be going with your horses at this point and he's certainly not playing ahead of Lee, Eberle, Bailey, and Beauvillier. They bring too many other things to the equation that you can't remove "in hopes" of Bellows being able to snipe.

And honestly, he had 3 points in his first two NHL games this season. Awesome, but then nothing in the 5 after that. No established NHL coach with any experience is putting a kid in THAT pressure-cooking of a situation based on that intro - not unless pure, pure, pure desperation sets in.

By your estimation though I would not say Beauvillier or Brassard are bottom six players and they have both been slotted there this season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I haven't watched him in Bridgeport but whenever I see him play I always like what I see. Seems very poised and knows what he should be doing. I'm higher on him than any other defensive prospect (sans Dobson).
Big kid. 6’4” I believe. Skates well. Defensively sound but will step up on the play if a shot is there. I’ve been impressed with Hutton since he arrived in Bridgeport last March.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
By your estimation though I would not say Beauvillier or Brassard are bottom six players and they have both been slotted there this season.

You're talking about role-playing in the course of a long season and with respect to bonafide and established NHLers.

I'm talking about a 29-point AHL prospect and why he isn't on the Island being asked to solve our scoring woes.

In addition, you're choosing to leave out the part where I mentioned "we're in the stretch drive". That automatically puts a new twist to things, because it's the time of the year where coaches will be banking on their horses and proven assets, particularly those with experience.

PS) As part of Trotz' line-juggling and looking for answers over the course of 66 games, particularly Beauvillier has spent the bulk of this season playing a top 6 role. Nonetheless, he can certainly be a luxury as a third line player due to his energy, speed, effort and willingness to do the little things in dirty areas. In other words, he's no liability on a lower line. Rookies being nurtured to take on a scoring role in the future certainly would be.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You're talking about role-playing in the course of a long season and with respect to bonafide and established NHLers.

I'm talking about a 29-point AHL prospect and why he isn't on the Island being asked to solve our scoring woes.

In addition, you're choosing to leave out the part where I mentioned "we're in the stretch drive". That automatically puts a new twist to things, because it's the time of the year where coaches will be banking on their horses and proven assets, particularly those with experience.

PS) As part of Trotz' line-juggling and looking for answers over the course of 66 games, particularly Beauvillier has spent the bulk of this season playing a top 6 role. Nonetheless, he can certainly be a luxury as a third line player due to his energy, speed, effort and willingness to do the little things in dirty areas. In other words, he's no liability on a lower line. Rookies being nurtured to take on a scoring role in the future certainly would be.

I understand what you are saying and do agree for the most part, but I do think having Bellows playing over Komarov for example could not possibly hurt the team. Komarov lately has been brutal in the defensive zone even.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I understand what you are saying and do agree for the most part, but I do think having Bellows playing over Komarov for example could not possibly hurt the team. Komarov lately has been brutal in the defensive zone even.

Yep, Komarov hasn't been terribly good of late.

A shame, seeing as how he was doing pretty well with Cizikas and Martin for a while.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think that has a lot to do with Cizikas. He is a total line driver with anyone he plays with it seems in the bottom six.

It does. In fact, much seems to have a lot to do with Cizikas.

When I think of what has been going on lately, I can't get past how much this team has missed having Cizikas AND Pelech out of the line-up for such a prolonged period of time.

Their importance, especially in the endeavor to keep the puck out of our net, has become clearer than ever.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Hutton... liked his game whenever i saw him play, but i wonder if his skating is good enough? seemed like it was right on the bubble. ok for AHL, but probably slow for NHL? haven't seen enough.

he's going to be 25 in July, so time seems like it's slipping away. plus, we have Wilde. hmmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad