Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
This is really positive IMO:

"Wahlstrom, selected by the Islanders in the first round (No. 11) of the 2018 NHL Draft, felt he was able to get to the spot more quickly than he could have last season because of his offseason focus on getting faster. Part of that training was spending May and June working with players from Frolunda of the Swedish Hockey League.
"The training is extreme there," the 19-year-old said. "We run 3-4 miles every other day. They do a lot of conditioning, lot of running. I really feel like my body is changed, my quickness is better."
Part of that training involved running up Olympic ski jump hills. Wahlstrom (6-1, 205) has gotten the desired result.
"I went to Sweden (weighing) 213 (pounds), came back 200," he said. "I was shocked at development camp my body fat was 6.4 (percent). Was about 9, 10 (percent).
"I'm feeling better. I feel more dialed in, more sharp. I'm learning how to be a pro, which is good. I'm just bringing it here." "

World Junior Summer Showcase Day 2 notebook

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
This is just a gut feeling, but I would not be surprised to see Pivonka make the WJC team for the US.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

"Wahlstrom, selected by the Islanders in the first round (No. 11) of the 2018 NHL Draft, felt he was able to get to the spot more quickly than he could have last season because of his offseason focus on getting faster. Part of that training was spending May and June working with players from Frolunda of the Swedish Hockey League.
"The training is extreme there," the 19-year-old said. "We run 3-4 miles every other day. They do a lot of conditioning, lot of running. I really feel like my body is changed, my quickness is better."
Part of that training involved running up Olympic ski jump hills. Wahlstrom (6-1, 205) has gotten the desired result.
"I went to Sweden (weighing) 213 (pounds), came back 200," he said. "I was shocked at development camp my body fat was 6.4 (percent). Was about 9, 10 (percent).
"I'm feeling better. I feel more dialed in, more sharp. I'm learning how to be a pro, which is good. I'm just bringing it here." "

nice info, thanks for sharing

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

OW did look a bit more chiseled in the NYI camp videos. I know speed wasn’t a shortcoming, but he needs to get quicker without losing strength. NYI desperately need him to develop into a 1W; not confident it will happen, but sure would be helpful.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
OW did look a bit more chiseled in the NYI camp videos. I know speed wasn’t a shortcoming, but he needs to get quicker without losing strength. NYI desperately need him to develop into a 1W; not confident it will happen, but sure would be helpful.
Why aren't you confident? What do you think that he lacks? I haven't followed him closely, but it seems like he doesn't have any weaknesses. Seems to be really dedicated and excited to be here.

I guess I am the opposite. I am confident that it will happen. Especially since LL & BT are now in charge, and we lack in right-handed forwards.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Why aren't you confident? What do you think that he lacks? I haven't followed him closely, but it seems like he doesn't have any weaknesses. Seems to be really dedicated and excited to be here.

I guess I am the opposite. I am confident that it will happen. Especially since LL & BT are now in charge, and we lack in right-handed forwards.

It's pretty obvious that College wasn't the right fit for Wahlstrom and the over reaction over the poor season is going to happen for a top pick.

Glad to see things seem to be back on track for him, his talent is unquestioned. Looking forward to a strong season from him and to regain his star prospect status.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006

Too bad for Blade, would have been nice to see him compete in the Summer Showcase. I hope he has a great OHL season.

Blade got cut?

For these national teams if you're not a top 6 forward you need to bring some kind of intangibles or fit some specific spot on the roster to make it. Speaking of which, maybe Pivonka ends up being the 4C.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Does that mean the Krygier stick around? For a 7th round pick that's pretty good!

Krygier is a KISS player. He had two assists in the game the other day by doing very KISS things from the blueline.

He's got size. He's got pedigree. He's physical. He can skate with all of those guys too.

It'll be cool to see if he can spend this fall keeping himself in the hunt for a spot on Team USA.

And I really, REALLY want to see Bode Wilde at the WJC this winter, even if he is playing AHL hockey.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Supposedly his brother isn’t as good as him. With our luck though his brother will turn out to be the one with a nice nhl career.
I know, I just thought it would be neat to have a set of twins lol.

They were both 7th rounders, so if either of them makes the show I will be surprised. Fingers crossed we got the "better Krygier"

Reactions: SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad