Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Awesome! I was hoping they would televise it. I need to watch some hockey. Looks like our boys are all on team white. Blade, whally, and Bode.

It actually starts this Friday. There will likely be streams available so we won't miss anything.

Don't forget that Dobson will be a central figure for Canada. Not sure if Holmstrom will be there for Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Do we know if he is a Rangers fan? His rankings seem a little... fishy.

I don't think Homerism is the reason - apparently he had Kravstov in the 40's, and doesn't think his upside is too great. No, I think these guys just have qualities they zero in on.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That is insane. Are there some qualifiers? Like who is expected to make an impact this season - and maybe the Isles depth on defense means Dobson doesn't have a spot to play this year? Who wrote the article? Wow. Just wow.
And the write up on each is somewhat bizarre. He's got Bouchard #5 overall its somewhat negative saying:

1. His stint with the Oilers was too much/too fast;
2. He's too lackadaisical in his own zone;
3. His skating is never going to be high end
but, he had two earth shattering playoffs last year.

In contrast, Dobson's write up is
Dobson is the type of defenceman teams go in search of at every draft and never find. He’s long, he can fly, he has learned to control his instincts and frame in order to make the right play more consistently, and he shoots right!

Seems like he just tossed up the names and put them in whatever random order he found.

Reactions: sebsisles and SI90

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
And the write up on each is somewhat bizarre. He's got Bouchard #5 overall its somewhat negative saying:

Dobson is the type of defenceman teams go in search of at every draft and never find. He’s long, he can fly, he has learned to control his instincts and frame in order to make the right play more consistently, and he shoots right!

Seems like he just tossed up the names and put them in whatever random order he found.

It almost seems like he reversed where they should be in the order.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

He's throwing a bone to all the butt hurt and insecure Oiler fans for passing on Dobson and drafting Shattenkirk 2.0 with a top-10 pick?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
What do you think he tops out as? What are your thoughts on his game?
His foot speed is just really not up to snuff for my liking. I have been dead wrong about a thousand and one prospects. I absolutely own that. Could be dead wrong about Bouchard, but much like Reinhart, the skating just isnt going to cut it at the NHL level.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
His foot speed is just really not up to snuff for my liking. I have been dead wrong about a thousand and one prospects. I absolutely own that. Could be dead wrong about Bouchard, but much like Reinhart, the skating just isnt going to cut it at the NHL level.

Good point, but his apparent disinterest in playing defense on top of being lost quite often in his own zone are my biggest red flags. Pair that with average (being nice) skating makes him a serious defensive liability. I don't care how good your offensive prowess is, if you can't or don't want to defend then why be a d-man at all?

Reactions: IslandersFan17

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Good point, but his apparent disinterest in playing defense on top of being lost quite often in his own zone are my biggest red flags. Pair that with average (being nice) skating makes him a serious defensive liability. I don't care how good your offensive prowess is, if you can't or don't want to defend then why be a d-man at all?
I realize I didnt answer the other part of your question, I think he maxes out as a better version of Brendan Smith. Who, like Smith, might end up playing fourth line winger at some point in his career.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I noticed in the most recent article from Staple about how many former captains have been brought into the organization that he wrote the following:
<<<
After prospect camp three weeks ago, the Isles added two more free agents. Erik Brown (RIT) and Justin Murray (Barrie of the OHL) had been captains before.
<<<

Did we see that?

I hadn't noticed that either the Isles or BPort had added either Brown or Murray. Thought they had only been invites to the prospect camp.

Murray is obviously a guy they saw in Saginaw this past spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad