Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Fill in the blank

Noah Dobson imo is our best defensive prospect with the highest potential that we’ve had in a long time. Certainly in Snows tenure.

Now fill in the blank.

Noah Dobson is our best defensive prospect since[_______]!

It would have to go back to the days of Eric Brewer and Wade Redden who turned into Bryan Berard. In terms of the almost universal praise, those are the ones I think of. Reinhart was a mixed bag within the fan base.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hate to say who our last top defenseman prospect was because he turned out to be a huge Dud

And Dobson is wearing the same jersey number as him lol.

Seriously though, Reinhart wasn’t has highly thought of as Dobson thought. He also didn’t have all the tools Dobson has. Skating in Particular. Reinhart was a smart hockey player that knows how to play the position. Unfortunately he just didn’t/doesn’t have the footspeed.

Dobson is a 2way Defensman. He defends and and can rush the puck and add offense. He’s also a minute muncher.

I don’t want to get ahead of my self but i feel we have our version of Pietrangelo.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It would have to go back to the days of Eric Brewer and Wade Redden who turned into Bryan Berard. In terms of the almost universal praise, those are the ones I think of. Reinhart was a mixed bag within the fan base.

I was think Berard and Brewer. It’s sad because over the years we haven’t been able to find that #1 Defensman.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The guy only has a very minimal chance of ever even getting a cup of coffee in the NHL.

I think you are underestimating his abilities. I saw him play quite a bit in college and he was always the best forward on the ice for a good team. He was hurt last year and that seemed to impact his play all year. I would be surprised if he doesn't make the NHL at some point. I think he would make a good bottom six forward. John was better than his brother Nolan. That team also had Gaudette and Sikura and Stevens was the best of the bunch.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If Dobson and Seth Jones were in the same draft....who would go higher?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Dobson and Seth Jones were in the same draft....who would go higher?

Jones. He’s more skilled offensively and because of that is a first PP unit guy.

I see Dobson being a second PP unit, but I think the rest of their games will be really close.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's amazing how much salt we're getting from this draft class. Multiple fan bases butt hurt over Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde. It's f***ing annoying.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's amazing how much salt we're getting from this draft class. Multiple fan bases butt hurt over Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde. It's ****ing annoying.

I'm seeing us get props across the board except for the usual toronto idiots and some salty ranger fans.

There's a couple "I would have let another team deal with the problem that is Wilde" fans out there but they're entitled to that opinion. Overall people love this draft and I'm already seeing garbage proposals of expendable vets for Dobson and Wahlstrom.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm seeing us get props across the board except for the usual toronto idiots and some salty ranger fans.

There's a couple "I would have let another team deal with the problem that is Wilde" fans out there but they're entitled to that opinion. Overall people love this draft and I'm already seeing garbage proposals of expendable vets for Dobson and Whalstrom.

Dobson was preferred by many fans of Vancouver (Hughes), Chicago (Boqvist), Rangers, and Edmonton (Bouchard).

Wahlstrom was very popular in Chicago and Rangers fans.

Wilde is getting crapped on by the Prop 48 crowd.

We did kill it, too bad so many are too butt hurt to let us enjoy it.

Reactions: dood and SI90

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Dobson was preferred by many fans of Vancouver (Hughes), Chicago (Boqvist), Rangers, and Edmonton (Bouchard).

Wahlstrom was very popular in Chicago and Rangers fans.

Wilde is getting crapped on by the Prop 48 crowd.

We did kill it, too bad so many are too butt hurt to let us enjoy it.

Everyone essentially had those guys on the same tier in terms of the mocks

1: Dahlin/
2: Svech/
3: Zadina/
4: Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard/
5: Hayton, Veleno, Smith, Farabee, Kravtsov

Vancouver, Chicago, Edmonton all got their own defenseman out of that group in tier 4, and all seem pleased as little peaches with the guy they ended up with. In the post-draft glow it's not that hard to talk your fanbase into getting the 2nd best defenseman after Dahlin.

Ranger fans are worried because they wonder if this is passing on Fowler for McIlrath, and the worrying trend of Russian forwards in the top 15. Since Tarasenko was an absolute steal for the Blues in the 2010 draft:

2012 - Yakupov 1st overall, Grigorenko 12th overall - YIKES
2013 - Nuke 10th overall - YIKES
2015 - Gurianov 12th overall - YIKES

That is a very worrying trend. Svech is Russian too, but his hype is strong enough to lock up an NHL role unless he completely busts like Yakupov. For Kravtsov at 9, you look towards Grigorenko, Nuke, and Gurianov as draft comparables - who can always go back to Russia if they don't like what you're doing.

And that's what scariest. That Wahlstrom has every bit of that high-end ceiling Kravtsov does, but a significantly higher floor as well.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Everyone essentially had those guys on the same tier in terms of the mocks

1: Dahlin/
2: Svech/
3: Zadina/
4: Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard/
5: Hayton, Veleno, Smith, Farabee, Kravtsov

Vancouver, Chicago, Edmonton all got their own defenseman out of that group in tier 4, and all seem pleased as little peaches with the guy they ended up with. In the post-draft glow it's not that hard to talk your fanbase into getting the 2nd best defenseman after Dahlin.

Ranger fans are worried because they wonder if this is passing on Fowler for McIlrath, and the worrying trend of Russian forwards in the top 15. Since Tarasenko was an absolute steal for the Blues in the 2010 draft:

2012 - Yakupov 1st overall, Grigorenko 12th overall - YIKES
2013 - Nuke 10th overall - YIKES
2015 - Gurianov 12th overall - YIKES

That is a very worrying trend. Svech is Russian too, but his hype is strong enough to lock up an NHL role unless he completely busts like Yakupov. For Kravtsov at 9, you look towards Grigorenko, Nuke, and Gurianov as draft comparables - who can always go back to Russia if they don't like what you're doing.

And that's what scariest. That Wahlstrom has every bit of that high-end ceiling Kravtsov does, but a significantly higher floor as well.

Hughes' size and defensive play are concerning for some Vancouver fans. Boqvists' concussions and boom/bust concern Chicago fans, a lot of them wanted Wahlstrom. Ranger fans wanted either Wahlstrom or Dobson over Kravstov. A lot of Edmonton fans wanted Dobson.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hughes' size and defensive play are concerning for some Vancouver fans. Boqvists' concussions and boom/bust concern Chicago fans, a lot of them wanted Wahlstrom. Ranger fand wanted either Wahlstrom or Dobson over Kravstov. A lot of Edmonton fans wanted Dobson.

We have no concerns. Only have to hope they work hard, stay healthy, and reach their potential.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hughes' size and defensive play are concerning for some Vancouver fans. Boqvists' concussions and boom/bust concern Chicago fans, a lot of them wanted Wahlstrom. Ranger fans wanted either Wahlstrom or Dobson over Kravstov. A lot of Edmonton fans wanted Dobson.

Let's be fair now - those other fanbases have something to debate. Should we have taken this guy instead of that guy - it leads to discussion, nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't see Islander fans wondering if we should have taken Smith over Dobson, Dellandrea or Farabee over Wahlstrom. We have nothing to discuss in that aspect. No what if scenarios. We took - by far - the two best players available and nobody around these parts seems to disagree with that sentiment.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Let's be fair now - those other fanbases have something to debate. Should we have taken this guy instead of that guy - it leads to discussion, nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't see Islander fans wondering if we should have taken Smith over Dobson, Dellandrea or Farabee over Wahlstrom. We have nothing to discuss in that aspect. No what if scenarios. We took - by far - the two best players available and nobody around these parts seems to disagree with that sentiment.

I understand and agree with you, we killed it.

I'm just reporting what I've seen from looking around HF. It's all there, I was tired of all the Leaf bullshit so I did that instead. I'm not going to waste my time with the idiots in the JT thread on the trade board. It's a cesspool.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I understand and agree with you, we killed it.

I'm just reporting what I've seen from looking around HF. It's all there, I was tired of all the Leaf bull**** so I did that instead. I'm not going to waste my time with the idiots in the JT thread on the trade board. It's a cesspool.

Really makes you long for the days of arguing with Oiler fans about a Hamonic/Eberle trade, don't it?

I can't even imagine the hell if JT does sign with Toronto. I'd get the full press Winter Soldier treatment with the number of @ mentions in my notifications.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Really makes you long for the days of arguing with Oiler fans about a Hamonic/Eberle trade, don't it?

I can't even imagine the hell if JT does sign with Toronto. I'd get the full press Winter Soldier treatment with the number of @ mentions in my notifications.

The Hamonic saga featured a smaller cast of idiots, mainly you know who that got sent on vacation. This is a new level of idiocy. Cartman is a beauty, biggest homer I've seen.

Hopefully we get some good news.

Thrilled with our kids, I think everyone on HF Isles knows how much I wanted Dobson. Reading up on all the salt surrounding him puts a smile on my face.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The Hamonic saga featured a smaller cast of idiots, mainly you know who that got sent on vacation. This is a new level of idiocy. Cartman is a beauty, biggest homer I've seen.

Hopefully we get some good news.

Thrilled with our kids, I think everyone on HF Isles knows how much I wanted Dobson. Reading up on all the salt surrounding him puts a smile on my face.

I've come to respect posters like ChaoticOrange and ManofSteel - passionate homers but a hell of a lot more intelligent and able to string together a coherent point than what we're seeing today. Let's be fair, a lot of us (you and me included) were wrong about Eberle being anything other than a cap dump bum, but a lot of them were wrong about the eventual returns for Hamonic + Eberle. Unlike our friends in Toronto, I'm man enough to admit when I'm right about these things, wrong about those things.

But yeah, to get back on topic I'm just as pumped for Dobson as you are. In my wildest dreams I'd have never dreamed he'd fall to us, my #4 player in this draft behind Dahlin/Svech/Zadina.

Wahlstrom is an amazing, high-caliber forward but Dobson may very well be the missing piece for this team. If we can be optimistic and eventually pencil Dobson in as a 1st pairing, PP1, PK1 #1 defenseman, then holy hell. Wilde hits his potential as well to play behind Dobson, we're gonna be a frightening team right around the time Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin/Backstrom start to decline and the Metro becomes wide open once again with us, Philly (dangerous), and Carolina to watch out for with Jersey as a darkhorse.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've come to respect posters like ChaoticOrange and ManofSteel - passionate homers but a hell of a lot more intelligent and able to string together a coherent point than what we're seeing today. Let's be fair, a lot of us (you and me included) were wrong about Eberle being anything other than a cap dump bum, but a lot of them were wrong about the eventual returns for Hamonic + Eberle. Unlike our friends in Toronto, I'm man enough to admit when I'm right about these things, wrong about those things.

But yeah, to get back on topic I'm just as pumped for Dobson as you are. In my wildest dreams I'd have never dreamed he'd fall to us, my #4 player in this draft behind Dahlin/Svech/Zadina.

Wahlstrom is an amazing, high-caliber forward but Dobson may very well be the missing piece for this team. If we can be optimistic and eventually pencil Dobson in as a 1st pairing, PP1, PK1 #1 defenseman, then holy hell. Wilde hits his potential as well to play behind Dobson, we're gonna be a frightening team right around the time Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin/Backstrom start to decline and the Metro becomes wide open once again with us, Philly (dangerous), and Carolina to watch out for with Jersey as a darkhorse.

You're right about the intelligence level, you can't have a real debate. Like you, I've buried the hatchet with the Edmonton crew. I can admit when I'm wrong as well, I often am.

I will be following Dobson intently, I was worried for a second when we selected Wahlstrom first. I almost popped my shoulder out from fist pumping when we took him. I sleep better at night knowing he's ours. The WJC is just watch again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad