Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wouldn't shock me if that was legitimate, Ishakov flew under the radar for a lot of fans, myself included.

Seems to me like people who studied his game (Pronman, the Russian guy on HFBoards) came away very impressed with his skills and potential. Have yet to read anything from a scout who studied his game and isn't impressed. Seems like the rest of us are only now catching up after he flew under a lot of our noses.

Since we drafted him I watched a bunch of video on Ishakov. His hands and hockey sense are pretty damn elite. However the dude is SMALL (the irony of making that word bigger). And small doesn't have to necessarily be a problem, but it didn't look like his skating is good enough to overcompensate for that. Maybe he can improve it (and he fills out), but he's got to take the Johnny Gaudreau path if he's going to make the NHL. Not saying he's going to be anywhere near Gaudreau, but he's just so small that he's going to need to use some combination of skating and hockey sense to get open to make plays.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Since we drafted him I watched a bunch of video on Ishakov. His hands and hockey sense are pretty damn elite. However the dude is SMALL (the irony of making that word bigger). And small doesn't have to necessarily be a problem, but it didn't look like his skating is good enough to overcompensate for that. Maybe he can improve it (and he fills out), but he's got to take the Johnny Gaudreau path if he's going to make the NHL. Not saying he's going to be anywhere near Gaudreau, but he's just so small that he's going to need to use some combination of skating and hockey sense to get open to make plays.
I don't know what video you were watching but his edge work is very good. He can stop and start on a dime and make plays stick handling and passing the puck. Straight line speed is average yes I'll give you that. Like I said i had no idea who this kid was until i happened to notice him big time in the under18s. He was the best player on the ice for me.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't know what video you were watching but his edge work is very good. He can stop and start on a dime and make plays stick handling and passing the puck. Straight line speed is average yes I'll give you that. Like I said i had no idea who this kid was until i happened to notice him big time in the under18s. He was the best player on the ice for me.

Literally was talking about his straight line speed.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I normally hate comparing players who haven't played a single game in the league, but I couldn't help seeing a little bit of Kucherov in Iskhakov.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I normally hate comparing players who haven't played a single game in the league, but I couldn't help seeing a little bit of Kucherov in Iskhakov.

Wow really? I don't see that at all. Gaudreau is where the comparison begins for me.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I see a little bit of Kucherov in his game as well. A littke bit.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Hi everyone, Nucks fan here and the Isles are quickly becoming my #2 team. Followed your guys' success closely last year as Barzal is from the same town as I am (Coquitlam, BC) and one of my favorite players in the league. You guys also drafted Wahlstrom and Dobson, two of the guys I wanted at that #7 spot too, two great prospects who will be electric to watch in the next few years for sure. The future looks bright in NY:thumbu:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Mad or not...Giving any NHL team a D because of 2nd round and later picks after liking their 1st round is a ridiculous take if you want to be taken seriously.

I can't comment on any of their picks in the later rounds but the Rangers took some huge chances in that 1st. Does Kravtsov ever make it over? Will Miller reach anything near his potential and does Lundkvist have NHL upside at all?

For all we know, they may end up having a stellar draft if those pan out, but they took some risks for sure and I guess that's why their fans are upset. With three picks in the 1st round you should be able to come away with at least two surefire NHLers

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Wow really? I don't see that at all. Gaudreau is where the comparison begins for me.
Mostly see Kucherov because of his shot. I was really impressed with Iskhakov's shot after watching some tape on him that it reminded me of Kuch's. Another trait that I saw of Iskhakov was he plays a more fluid game. I tend to think Kucherov plays with more fluidity whereas Gaudreau plays more of a structured game while instilling some flash at the same time.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Actually, I can't see him make it at all unless he IS Gaudreau.

Wouldn't shock me if that was legitimate, Ishakov flew under the radar for a lot of fans, myself included.

Seems to me like people who studied his game (Pronman, the Russian guy on HFBoards) came away very impressed with his skills and potential. Have yet to read anything from a scout who studied his game and isn't impressed. Seems like the rest of us are only now catching up after he flew under a lot of our noses.

We can tell ourselves this kind of thing until we're blue in the face.

In general, we have to root for the kid now. No reason not to, and hey, it's not like he doesn't appear to have blatant skill.

For me, the question here is more about "Which relatively safe pick was skipped over to look for a home run with a 5'7", 150 lbs. skilled forward?"

As others have mentioned, I think this type of pick is best saved for round 4, maybe 3 if you know of growing interest among other teams.

We had a Round 2 with LOTS of talent hanging around, and no less than Thomas, Groulx, Olofsson, Hallander, and Gustafsson are kids who look like heavily likely NHL forwards down the road. Ginning and Tychonik are kids I'd LOVED to have added as I'm fairly certain that they'll be future NHLers in some capacity. I'd have totally understood the team taking Durzi, Addison or Bahl at that juncture too. I won't even mention the few 3rd rounders who looked like safer bets, i.e. Wise.

Considering Lou is so new, you've got to think that this was ALL on Snow's staff. Just like Golyshev a few summers back.

In any case, this pick simply smacks of the "Snow" days. And let's be honest - we're still shell-shocked by the Cammaratas of the world. We've spent years discussing how you don't take small skill unless their skating is absolutely exceptional. Hard to tell with Iskhatov. Fortunately, we'll see him at UCONN (not a powerhouse, by any means) next season and can only hope that he immediately makes noise there.

If it had been another round, I'd be ecstatic. I just happen to believe that we decided to take this risk rather than go with some pretty safe talent. Heck, alone the Swedish guys I listed above would have been a wonderful thing to see us add, as I'm pretty sold on them.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ishakov kind of reminds me of the Ronning brothers...as long as he is strong on his skates, he should be fine...if he falls down a lot, then forget it.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Actually, I can't see him make it at all unless he IS Gaudreau.

We can tell ourselves this kind of thing until we're blue in the face.

In general, we have to root for the kid now. No reason not to, and hey, it's not like he doesn't appear to have blatant skill.

For me, the question here is more about "Which relatively safe pick was skipped over to look for a home run with a 5'7", 150 lbs. skilled forward?"

As others have mentioned, I think this type of pick is best saved for round 4, maybe 3 if you know of growing interest among other teams.

We had a Round 2 with LOTS of talent hanging around, and no less than Thomas, Groulx, Olofsson, Hallander, and Gustafsson are kids who look like heavily likely NHL forwards down the road. Ginning and Tychonik are kids I'd LOVED to have added as I'm fairly certain that they'll be future NHLers in some capacity. I'd have totally understood the team taking Durzi, Addison or Bahl at that juncture too. I won't even mention the few 3rd rounders who looked like safer bets, i.e. Wise.

Considering Lou is so new, you've got to think that this was ALL on Snow's staff. Just like Golyshev a few summers back.

In any case, this pick simply smacks of the "Snow" days. And let's be honest - we're still shell-shocked by the Cammaratas of the world. We've spent years discussing how you don't take small skill unless their skating is absolutely exceptional. Hard to tell with Iskhatov. Fortunately, we'll see him at UCONN (not a powerhouse, by any means) next season and can only hope that he immediately makes noise there.

If it had been another round, I'd be ecstatic. I just happen to believe that we decided to take this risk rather than go with some pretty safe talent. Heck, alone the Swedish guys I listed above would have been a wonderful thing to see us add, as I'm pretty sold on them.

Hit it on the nose.

They could not afford to be cute with those first 4 picks - once Drury went at 42 - I felt it was a slam dunk for one of the higher rated C prospects like Oloffson, Gustafson, Groulx, Wise, or Hallander.

We are so think up the middle. Not even sure if the kid will play the pivot at U conn

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Since both our first round picks were rated higher than 11 and 12
which one would we have selected if we only had pick 11? I do not believe because OW was picked 11 he will necessarily be the answer. I don't really follow the kids so I have no opinion. Thanks

LGI

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I think not enough credit is given to Trent Klatt and his leadership in scouting. Our drafts under him have been very good and just starting to bear fruit. The bad picks were all re-capitalized in trades. I can say for sure Morrow deserves some blame for Reinhardt.

Morrow is the Director of Pro Scouting, as in Already in the NHL. Why would he be to blame for Reinhart? I have to admit I really wanted Griffen and was flabbergasted at him being as poor as he was.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
We are so think up the middle. Not even sure if the kid will play the pivot at U conn

The one thing that really irks me is that our system continues to be really weak up the middle. Pivonka is the only clear-cut center taken in the draft.

There were some really good future #3 center options at 43.

Now we'll have to find them elsewhere for the time being.

However, A LOT of kids didn't get drafted this year and there were a boatload who went back into the draft, but didn't get drafted.

I noticed that i.e. Reichel didn't get drafted.

In fact, TONS of guys who were ranked Top 200 by many outlets went undrafted.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The guy only has a very minimal chance of ever even getting a cup of coffee in the NHL.

That’s likely the case, which I find interesting, because if I recall correctly, he was one of the last forwards to be sent down to Bridgeport, and was getting powerplay and penalty kill minutes in the preseason.

Weight & Co saw something in him thag clearly hasn’t translated up until this point...

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
He got injured early in the season. Lets see how he shakes out this season but I thought I saw in my limited viewings a bottom 6 player.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We're talking a lot about the one small guy the Isles drafted on Saturday (Ishkakov), but other than him the draftees were all pretty big kids.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Fill in the blank

Noah Dobson imo is our best defensive prospect with the highest potential that we’ve had in a long time. Certainly in Snows tenure.

Now fill in the blank.

Noah Dobson is our best defensive prospect since[_______]!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Fill in the blank

Noah Dobson imo is our best defensive prospect with the highest potential that we’ve had in a long time. Certainly in Snows tenure.

Now fill in the blank.

Noah Dobson is our best defensive prospect since[_______]!

I hate to say who our last top defenseman prospect was because he turned out to be a huge Dud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad