Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Grabovski would have been gone this year and st worst we would have lost Nelson or Pelech. Both I could have lived with and we would have had our 2017 first which could have helped with this new young core we have going forward.

Not only did that expansion draft trade not help us in any way shape or form, we also still missed the playoffs and have nothing to show for it.

The trade at the expansion draft made more sense if Garth followed it up with more moves. He didn’t, and failed this franchise miserably in doing do

Reactions: danteipp and SI90

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wasn’t it known that Grabovski was going to LTIR?
Not sure, I remember Kulemin was asked about it and said that Grabo was going try and get back for training camp.

Edit 1: For some reason I think this was either myself or a friend/family asking Kuli in the concourse I'm gonna search quick

edit 2: Mikhail Grabovski is in Vegas, wants to play again

Islanders' Mikhail Grabovski: Hopes to play next season

Islanders' Mikhail Grabovski: Looking to put concussion issues behind him

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
It is pretty clear we aren't going to agree on this, and we are getting away from the main point of the thread and prospect talk. So I will make this my last post on the issue (in this thread) and we will have to agree to disagree.

Personally, I don't see where I am making a lot of assumptions. Most of the expansion draft talk was out there for public consumption and McPhee stated that he was willing to work with teams, discuss who they would take in advance and make side deals, as long as he felt any deals were a net positive for Vegas.

My main point was that while the Isles were going to lose one player, the price Snow ended up paying COMBINED with what he did next to build the roster PLUS bad fortune (with injuries) resulted in the absolute worst-case scenario. Given that, Snow ended up overpaying to protect "his guys", lost a season and ultimately his job.

I don't have the time or inclination to continue to refute you point by point, however, what would have been the worst-case scenarios if Snow didn't make a deal with Vegas?

Forget about Bailey not being protected. He wasn't coming off the great season he just had and was an impending UFA after the season. I don't think ANYONE here, or in the press, ever mentioned Bailey as a possible Vegas target. But the Isles could have protected him over a fifth defenseman if they had to.

I previously noted that Vegas probably would have taken Nelson. To me, that is the most likely choice and NOT a terrible price to pay. Was Nelson instrumental to the Isles season last year or even year's past? Not at all. He didn't fit on either of the top two lines nor could he drive or lift the third line in any meaningful way. And he has shown those same deficiencies his entire career so far.

But, for whatever reason, Nelson has always been perceived as a Snow favorite. Maybe they hang out and smoke up together, but it sure hasn't been the drive to win hockey games that bonds them.

Or the other "worst-case" scenario and Vegas took CdH. But would they have taken yet another defenseman over say Nelson, in a defense-rich draft, or a younger defenseman signed to term over a defender approaching UFA? Even if they had, the Isles could have still looked to sign a free agent or make a trade to replace CdH, perhaps with the draft picks saved by NOT paying Vegas a premium.

And the error is compounded by Snow NEVER seemingly having any interest in extending CdH beyond last year. What GM in their right mind sends a first and a second to protect an asset they were only expecting to employ for a year then replace? I could understand if CdH was extended after the expansion draft or if he was a star player, but he wasn't extended nor is he a star the Isles couldn't risk losing for nothing - which they ultimately did anyway.

In the end, Snow paid too much to protect too little and it cost him his job as another season was lost, CdH walked for nothing, no substantial moves were made outside of Eberle for Strome, cap savings weren't used correctly and two quality assets were traded in the process. Thank God Snow is gone.

We aren't going to agree I guess, but since we are giving last remarks:
1. Again, a lot of assumptions are being made about who Vegas was going to pick (Not picking Bailey, probably picking Nelson, not picking Strome etc.) My whole point is that multiple players who had at least some value (trade value or roster value) were exposed, including Dehaan, Bailey, Strome, Nelson, Cizikas. Bailey had a 70 point season, Strome was traded for Eberle, Dehaan was an important part of the top 4 until he got injured. I COMPLETELY agree that more needed to be done especially to address Dehaan's injury and the defense, but even if that 1st and 2nd helped secure maintaining an important winger (Bailey) and getting us Eberle, I don't see how you can say it wasn't worth it.

2. You keep trying to simplify the trade into individual players "Pelech isn't worth a 1st and a 2nd" or "Dehaan isn't worth a 1st and a 2nd", that's NOT what the trade was, it was protecting multiple players and dictating who Vegas chose. Giving the team the security of KNOWING their assets were secure.

3. LTIR is extremely convoluted and confusing (why most teams DON'T utilize it) but if Grabo had any intention of trying for training camp that season then he didn't qualify

4. I think its really hard to look back without hindsight, we have the benefit now of saying Dehaan was injured and left, Kulemon was injured and didn't play, Pelech didn't blow any of us away this year etc. But look at this thread discussing the expansion draft after it happened and how many people praised the deal:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/expansion-draft-discussion.2359479/page-12

Including, this post by you who stated the Isles "protected their main assets" which is my whole point. They didn't "piss away" assets in the trade

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 9.35.32 AM.png

Reactions: dood

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Now that the league is getting smaller, I'd like to give Rakshani a PTO. He was a PPG AHL prospect before he headed to Sweden.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Eberle was headed out of Edmonton on a rail regardless. They needed to free up cash, and he came off a disappointing season and playoffs. If Vegas took Strome, they would have traded Nelson for him or MDC. The way Snow handled the expansion draft was criminal and I'm glad people are finally coming around to see that.

Reactions: danteipp and SI90

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I’ve always read it in my head as Dante Ipp, but assumed it was Dan Teipp.

Now you have me thinking that there is probably a Dan Teipp out there, mad about me stealing his user ID across the spectrum of message boards.

Reactions: seafoam

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
I’ve always read it in my head as Dante Ipp, but assumed it was Dan Teipp.
I also always read it as Dante Ipp. Only I assumed Ipp was short for something like Ippolito. A very italian sounding name I could easily see being a long islander. Apologies for my bigotry.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I also always read it as Dante Ipp. Only I assumed Ipp was short for something like Ippolito. A very italian sounding name I could easily see being a long islander. Apologies for my bigotry.

Well, I am part Italian, so it is not profiling and you are OK. :)

Just to clarify for all concerned, I had to come up with a user ID for AOL (many, many years ago in the Internet dark ages) and went with DanteIPP, as a tribute to Dante Alighieri because we were reading the Divine Comedy at the time.

The IPP stands for Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso since "Dante" was taken and I didn't want to add numbers to the ID.

From there I just recycled it for message board usage, rather than create unique IDs for each by sport, interest, etc.

And no, my name isn't Dante, Dan or any derivation of it, just laziness that I haven't bothered to change anything in the last 20 years or so with my standard ID creation.

And there you have it, the genesis of the username/ID that has presumably frustrated any Dan or Daniel Teipp's for a couple decades now.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I'm the opposite. Every time I read one of his posts, I read it as Dan Teipp posting and wondered what kind of last name is Teipp.

Well now that we are off the rails completely, I had to look up the Teipp surname. Per Ancestry.com its derivation is as follows:

You can see how Teipp families moved over time by selecting different census years. The Teipp family name was found in the USA, and the UK between 1880 and 1891. The most Teipp families were found in the USA in 1880. In 1880 there were 3 Teipp families living in Nebraska. This was about 60% of all the recorded Teipp's in the USA. Nebraska had the highest population of Teipp families in 1880.

In 1880, Farmer and Keeping House were the top 2 reported jobs worked by Teipp. The most common Teipp occupation in the USA was Farmer. 50% of Teipp's were Farmers.

It sounds like the Teipp's generally had short lifespans due to health or living in harsh conditions. So maybe I don't have to worry about an angry Dan Teipp hunting me down in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad