Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It wasn't just that he has the velocity or that he can get them off quickly, the author points out that he can use different types of shooting styles depending on the scenario. That's apparently unusual, but when you think about how one dimensional Nelson is, it makes sense. Nelson is deadly when he has space and some time, because his wrist shot requires such a long drag to get off. He never snaps it home like in this Whalstrom example from the article.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2018/09/06224318/PlacementStandstill.mp4?_=10

Just very refreshing to see an someone really like a prospect and delve deep into why. I'm more excited after reading the article, and I typically don't get excited about prospects at all.

I just didn’t want to state the obvious, the author’s thesis was pretty much highlighting the diverse ways in which OW can score (including technique). But I agree, the kid can score in many ways.

The article definitely got me excited, too bad Whal can’t participate in training camp.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Bellows projects to be a complimentary goal scoring winger that cashes in on the PP.

He’s never going to drive a line but his shot and release is so ridiculous that you just have to have a guy that can get him the puck. If that happens he can pot 20-30 goals I Believe

scott99

May 13, 2005
The article actually does a great job of demonstrating the differences between goal scorers, and it nails why I've been skeptical of Bellows. I've seen him a little bit and he never did a whole heck of a lot that I thought was impressive, other than shoot the puck. I don't want another Dal Colle.
Bellows has a lot of what MDC is missing, he plays with a lot of grit, so at worst, a 3rd line 15-20 goal scorer. I think he's gonna be a multi time 30+ goal scorer. If paired with Barzal or even Bailey, I could see him score 20 as a rookie. But he'd have to have a helluva camp to make it THIS year, but next year, look out.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Bellows has a lot of what MDC is missing, he plays with a lot of grit, so at worst, a 3rd line 15-20 goal scorer. I think he's gonna be a multi time 30+ goal scorer. If paired with Barzal or even Bailey, I could see him score 20 as a rookie. But he'd have to have a helluva camp to make it THIS year, but next year, look out.

I don't think Bellows has the skating ability to play with Barzal. In fact I don't know if his skating is good enough to be in a top 6 role. Hopefully he worked on his skating over the summer. Otherwise it will hold him back.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In Staple's latest article it was revealed that Ho-Sang broke his hand two weeks after being sent down for good last year. That explains a lot about his point production after being sent down. Tough injury to play through for a small guy.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
In Staple's latest article it was revealed that Ho-Sang broke his hand two weeks after being sent down for good last year. That explains a lot about his point production after being sent down. Tough injury to play through for a small guy.
Yeah, a lot of people were concerned and this kinda puts that at bay.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don't think Bellows has the skating ability to play with Barzal. In fact I don't know if his skating is good enough to be in a top 6 role. Hopefully he worked on his skating over the summer. Otherwise it will hold him back.
Let's not forget who Bellows played with while at the USNTDP, Clayton Keller, a pretty elite skater in his own right.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Not sure what type of previous injuries JHS has gone through,but he has said how tough last season was, that he never had a season like that.

Just hoping he can establish himself as a middle 6 forward for the isles this season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not sure what type of previous injuries JHS has gone through,but he has said how tough last season was, that he never had a season like that.

Just hoping he can establish himself as a middle 6 forward for the isles this season.

I'm thinking that for a guy like Ho-Sang, who is small and shifty, it's a lot harder to play through a broken hand than almost anything else. He can't rely on his size or other tools to do the things he's good at, like someone the size of Jagr could. His stick handling must have suffered a great deal because of it. I give him credit for playing through it though.

Ho-Sang's last game with the Islanders was December 14. So in the two weeks or so he was healthy Ho-Sang played in six games and had a point in every game but one. It wasn't until late January that he strung more than two games together without a point, and that seems to be when he had his worst drought of the season. So all of the fear people had about his production seems to be connected to this injury. He was pretty much a PPG player in the AHL (he was one point shy) in two different stints with Bridgeport before he broke his hand.

Wasn't he also dropped in the Bridgeport lineup? Limiting his minutes could've been done to help protect his hand a little bit.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Though I would not say Bellows is a Barzal level skater. I don't think he is as bad as I have been reading here. He's got a different skill set. He's more of a high traffic player, he's going to skate through you more than try to skate around you. As long as he can find holes in a defence to get his shot off. He will be ok IMO.

Reactions: dood

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Can anyone subbed to the athletic let us know how many islander prospects made the top 100 in Pronmans new list?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm thinking that for a guy like Ho-Sang, who is small and shifty, it's a lot harder to play through a broken hand than almost anything else. He can't rely on his size or other tools to do the things he's good at, like someone the size of Jagr could. His stick handling must have suffered a great deal because of it. I give him credit for playing through it though.

Ho-Sang's last game with the Islanders was December 14. So in the two weeks or so he was healthy Ho-Sang played in six games and had a point in every game but one. It wasn't until late January that he strung more than two games together without a point, and that seems to be when he had his worst drought of the season. So all of the fear people had about his production seems to be connected to this injury. He was pretty much a PPG player in the AHL (he was one point shy) in two different stints with Bridgeport before he broke his hand.

Wasn't he also dropped in the Bridgeport lineup? Limiting his minutes could've been done to help protect his hand a little bit.

Not sure if the report he was on the 4th line, came from a Sound Tiger fan or their beatwriter.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
5 of the top 60 is pretty encouraging. Especially with Sorokin also sitting at #3 on the goalie list.

Who were ranked above Sorokin?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pronman has his biases, he highly values skill so it makes sense how highly he rates Wahlstrom. Dobson is not the type of player that he would love.

I have Dobson ahead of Wahlstrom, I joked when the Isles picked at #11 and #12. They got it wrong. #11 should have been Dobson and #12 should have been Wahlstrom. ;)

Reactions: PWJunior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad