Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2018-19 | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
i know wahlstrom was sick but i also saw someone on twitter asking pronnman why he keeps getting demoted and less playing time? anyone knows whats up with him this tournament? his 1G was pretty nice

He hasn't been getting ice time, but the past two games he's made the most of it with a lot of chances, just seems snake bitten. The USA team has been riding grinders more than skill, especially when Hughes was out. Seems like Cockerill's line is out every other shift. Who BTW, looks like he's going to be the next Cizikas on this team.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm looking forward to the 2nd half for Dobson. He's joining the top team in the Q and could be going to another Memorial Cup. His stats should explode now that he's no longer on the Titan. Winning another Memorial Cup would probably take a lot of the sting out of the WJC.

Tough break for the kid though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Between his play at BC and now here I’m also a tad concerned, especially for someone I had such high hopes on... but obviously it’s so early in his career

I would be happy if he turned out like Nino has turned out for Minnesota. I don’t think he ends up being as good as some here think.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
6 months after the draft and people are worried about prospects who are still 18. Remember Bellows at BU. Look at Dal Colle now. Let’s not worry until it’s time to worry.

Things are looking better for those two but they’ve still proven nothing. Think it’s fair to be concerned about wahlstrom. Doesn’t mean he’s a bust but trending down in your D+1 is never a good thing

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Things are looking better for those two but they’ve still proven nothing. Think it’s fair to be concerned about wahlstrom. Doesn’t mean he’s a bust but trending down in your D+1 is never a good thing

He’s an 18 year old rookie playing NCAA. Not everyone is Jack Eichle or Paul Kariya. College hockey is tough as hell. Not making excuses but I’m certainly not panicking.

Also, it depends on your definition of “still proven nothing”? Are we talking NHL or pro because if that’s the case then no prospect that hasn’t made the NHL has proven anything yet. But on a junior level they sure have. Dobson led a team to a memorial cup victory as a 17 year old. I hope people can appreciate and understand just how impressive that was. Wahlstrom was one of the most prolific goal scorers to ever play for the USDT.

Let’s let them continue to develop and get older. Wahlstrom hasn’t jumped off the screen st the WJC but he’s part of an incredibly talented USA forward group and he’s had his chances and he’s looked solid.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I was wondering if it was an adjustment for him physically too. Yes he is a big kid already, mostly grown but if he's used to be the big guy he isn't really anymore. I am really unbothered by Whalstroms start.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
A few things that I don't like about NCAA hockey for a high-end prospect are (i) the relative small number of games they play (since BC is unranked, if they go out early in the Hockey East tourney he's not going to get much more than 30 games played), and (ii) the fact that at a tough school like BC, he's expected to take real classes and make grades to stay eligible.

Yea, it's probably not the worse thing in the world for the kid to be in school, but I'm a selfish Islander fan and want him to maximize his time spent getting better at hockey and getting ready to bring a cup to the Island!

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I actually almost died from Norovirus back when I got sick in 2014. Not from it, but because I was completely exhausted from the constant vomiting and diarrhea. I passed out on the way to the bathroom and I still don't know how my head didn't get cracked open on the toilet when I regained consciousness. My head was right next to it and I oddly remember my face hitting the floor though. I looked like I had Mike Tyson tattoo style bruises on the right side of my face when I got out of the hospital a couple of days later. I looked like a freaking badass, Ross the Boss would have run from me.

Crazy.

Norovirus buddies!

I got it sophomore year of college. Ended up calling 911 because I was just out of options. Ambulance pulls up to my apartment and I'm like "I can't stop pooing". The EMTs had a good chuckle but were like "so you do want to take this ambulance to the hospital and pay all the required medical bills, or go back inside and sit on the toilet?" Went back inside.

Absolutely the worst week of my life, hope Wall-E didn't catch it otherwise he's in hell right now.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Norovirus buddies!

I got it sophomore year of college. Ended up calling 911 because I was just out of options. Ambulance pulls up to my apartment and I'm like "I can't stop pooing". The EMTs had a good chuckle but were like "so you do want to take this ambulance to the hospital and pay all the required medical bills, or go back inside and sit on the toilet?" Went back inside.

Absolutely the worst week of my life, hope Wall-E didn't catch it otherwise he's in hell right now.

Seriously, I had to go every 30 minutes. I would try to hydrate and it was just going #1 through #2. I had Charmin too and it was like sandpaper. Oh man. I will never forget Norovirus, THE NORTH REMEMBERS!

To add to my story, I now chuckle whenever I see the I've fallen and can't get up commercial or any mention of it. I had just gotten the 1st Gen Samsung Watch before I fainted, I may have gotten the Norovirus at Best Buy when I think back. When I regained consciousness, it took me a couple of minutes to come to my senses. My phone was in the living room and there was no way I could have gotten to it, I was just so weak. Thankfully, I had the watch on because I was playing around with it since it was my new toy. I was so out of it for a couple of days from the constant pooping, I actually had forgotten that I had it on. I had 4% battery on it. Called 911. I lived that commercial. Haha. Life Alert, that's the company.

Man, that was a rough couple of months. I can laugh about it now though.

Reactions: CodeE

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Good for MDC and Aho. And Matt Donovan! Looks like there is a lot of guys currently in NHL rosters, so I quess the lineups will be much different.

Sebastian Aho playing in both allstars games. :huh::sarcasm:

Things just keep looking better and better. The dark cloud seems to have finally lifted and dissipated.

Reactions: SI90

scott99

May 13, 2005
It wasn't a good WJC for our prospects, it's unfortunate, but all 3 weren't really given a chance. Wahlstrom missed time, and was buried on the 3rd or 4th line (still had 3 points), Dobson buried on the 3rd pairing, and Skarek got ONE period of play (don't know why). So considering they really didn't get great opportunities to excel, I'm not going to worry about it too much. Not making excuses, it's just a fact.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
It wasn't a good WJC for our prospects, it's unfortunate, but all 3 weren't really given a chance. Wahlstrom missed time, and was buried on the 3rd or 4th line (still had 3 points), Dobson buried on the 3rd pairing, and Skarek got ONE period of play (don't know why). So considering they really didn't get great opportunities to excel, I'm not going to worry about it too much. Not making excuses, it's just a fact.
As the tournament progressed, Dobson ice time increased. If Canada had qualified for the semifinals, Dobson and Smith would have been the first pair, I'm sure. Just yesterday's OT was an example : Smith and Dobson were the most used players and it was also the case for the 3rd period.

Reactions: PWJunior

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Seriously, I had to go every 30 minutes. I would try to hydrate and it was just going #1 through #2. I had Charmin too and it was like sandpaper. Oh man. I will never forget Norovirus, THE NORTH REMEMBERS!

I will never go on a cruise in my life after reading stories about cruises with massive norovirus outbreaks. Can you imagine being on a floating apartment block with a bunch of people taking craps every 30 minutes, and not washing their hands properly? People can tell me all they want about the wonderful times they've had on cruises. But there's just no ******* way. Nope.

Heres' such a story where using serious controls and sanitation procedures resulted in *only* 332 people getting sick. lol. Ugh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...se-ship-sickening-332/?utm_term=.97f850b4bcb9

Edited: pasted the wrong link!

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I will never go on a cruise in my life after reading stories about cruises with massive norovirus outbreaks. Can you imagine being on a floating apartment block with a bunch of people taking craps every 30 minutes, and not washing their hands properly? People can tell me all they want about the wonderful times they've had on cruises. But there's just no ******* way. Nope.

Heres' such a story where using serious controls and sanitation procedures resulted in *only* 332 people getting sick. lol. Ugh.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...se-ship-sickening-332/?utm_term=.97f850b4bcb9

Edited: pasted the wrong link!

Generally if you don’t put your hands in your mouth or eat without washing them you will be okay. It can spread through the air though if someone pukes. I know I contracted it that way years ago when my girlfriend had it at college and then 2 days later on Thanksgiving I got sick at home

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Generally if you don’t put your hands in your mouth or eat without washing them you will be okay. It can spread through the air though if someone pukes. I know I contracted it that way years ago when my girlfriend had it at college and then 2 days later on Thanksgiving I got sick at home

Yeah, but if you're on a cruise ship you're not necessarily always handling your own food or drinks. My kids just *had* a stomach bug over the break (can't confirm whether it was norovirus or rotavirus of course). But it's a lot easier to do when you're the person handling food, drinks, etc.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
And I get flagged for hijacking a thread? By calling JT the Flannel Failure? By the way, I've been on 13 cruises without a norovirus issue.

:huh:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Wahlstrom looks like maybe another guy whose stock rose fairly late and fooled people. That said I don’t think he’s going to be any sort of epic bust. He may just be a future 3rd liner. These guys pop up in drafts in all 4 of the major sports often. Most recently Jonathan India did this in MLB. Mets were dead set on grabbing him and Cincy took him one sport before. Guy then proceeded to bat .181 last year in the minors while the Mets managed to move the high school guy they did get for Cano and Diaz. There’s tons of random luck in these drafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad