Post-Game Talk: Isles 5, Pens 4 (SO)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I thought Spaling - Malkin - Hornqvist finally started to gel last night. If Kunitz was playing good hockey this wouldn't be as big as an issue right now.

Definitely the most glaring problem right now is Kunitz's poor play. Horny will end up finding chemistry with anyone cuz he works so hard.

Team should have Sid, Geno, Horny, Kunitz, Bennett in the top 6 right now.

They have Sid, Geno, Horny, an anchor and 3rd/4th liners so far.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Bennett needs to be on the top line IMO , top line is struggling because there are players on it that have no business being on the top line. Johnston needs to understand that your 3rd line is not going to win you games on a regular basis , having as much talent as you can in the top 6 is more important. And Sill is trash needs to be in the AHL. call up Megna to replace him.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Spaling-Malkin-Horny
Comeau-Sutter-Downie
Megna-Goc-Adams
Yup... Bennett in the top 6 fixes so much. It makes for 2 skilled players and a worker on each of the top 2 lines.

I would rather see...
Kunitz... Crosby... Hornqvist
Comeau... Malkin... Bennett
Spaling... Sutter... Downie
Megna... Goc... Sill or Adams

To a degree I almost want to see Hornqvist on LW. With Sid and Malkin coming uo the left side so much I would love to see that RH shot on the left side. Its all about making the goalie move on east west plays.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's mean to hurt people's feelings, you hurt Kunitz's and mine. :cry:

You should have known better... it was a test and you failed.

They did the same nonsense under Bylsma. The weak side winger is basically standing in the middle covering nobody when the puck is at the strong side point, and then if a pass comes out it takes forever to go cover and the cycle continues. It's maddening.

It looks like they changed up their zones in the third, but the Isles were no longer being aggressive. When they were again, well, 4on4 is a different animal and is essentially m-m.

So we'll see how good MJ is at adjusting tonight. I'm quite curious to see what he does.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Why is everybody acting like we could have signed Kulemin without signing Grabovski? They have the same agent and both wanted to be signed by the same team. It could never have worked considering the cap.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why is everybody acting like we could have signed Kulemin without signing Grabovski? They have the same agent and both wanted to be signed by the same team. It could never have worked considering the cap.

Indeed. Once it became known that it would be a package deal there was absolutely no chance that it would've happened.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Not that I wasn't baffled by it before, but the fact that people are still obsessed with acquiring Ruslan Fedotenko with defense is amazing. He's not that great, people.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I like Kulemin, but certainly not at, like, $5 million per and definitely not enough to be fired up about it 5 months after the fact.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I like Kulemin, but certainly not at, like, $5 million per and definitely not enough to be fired up about it 5 months after the fact.

And especially when it's possible the guy didn't want to come here unless his buddy was as well. I didn't realize Grabo is making 5 mil. **** that. Kule at 4 is at least palatable.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Yep, the idea that he might come here on a reasonable deal and show some chemistry with Malkin wasn't bad, but the Pens aren't in the position to give a 2nd/3rd line tweener that type of money.

The whole premise behind acquiring him was that he'd be cheap after a few down years with the Leafs, he wasn't.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yep, the idea that he might come here on a reasonable deal and show some chemistry with Malkin wasn't bad, but the Pens aren't in the position to give a 2nd/3rd line tweener that type of money.

The whole premise behind acquiring him was that he'd be cheap after a few down years with the Leafs, he wasn't.

Well said....that sums it up for me as well.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Pretty much. As soon as I saw the dollar figure on that contract I figured that would be the last I heard about people wanting him. Guess I figured wrong.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pretty much. As soon as I saw the dollar figure on that contract I figured that would be the last I heard about people wanting him. Guess I figured wrong.

I still can't believe the Isles are paying nearly 10 million dollars for Grabo and Kulemin. Nice depth, but ridiculous figure and term. Makes me scared to see what other kind of dumb contracts will be thrown out next FA period.

penguins2946*

As soon as Kulemin scored that goal yesterday, I immediately knew that there would be nonstop complaining about signing Ehrhoff and not signing him here. Glad to see I was right with that. A glorified 3rd line winger isn't worth over $4 million dollars, especially when he has to come with his buddy that costs $5 million.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The thing I took from last night's game is how easy the Islanders had it in front of our own net. I understand why Johnston wanted Bortuzzo to get back into the lineup after sitting out, but we really have no business scratching Despres. And this soff defense needs both of them in the lineup. We're not going to have the puck all the time, especially against teams with good offensive players. Our top four D has to be the softest in the NHL. We need to start balancing things out back there. More of a three-pairing approach is required.

Johnston needs to start scratching Scuderi. Forget his trade value. Dealing him is a long shot, at best. Start using him as a No. 7 defenseman. He's not a better option than either Despres or Bortuzzo. Yes he has been playing well this season, but this is about roster/lineup needs and our future blueline.

Both Despres and Bortuzzo need to be given regular work because (incredibly) we still don't know exactly what we have with these two players.

Johnston has to stop making the same mistake Disco made with regards to our defense.

We should try something like this for a while:

Maatta-Letang
Despres-Martin
Ehrhoff-Bortuzzo

Then once we are able to find a trade partner for Martin, bring up Harrington and if he struggles go back to Scuderi.

This is long overdue.

ObsessedCreative*

+ Malkin-Hornqvist connection
+ Beau Bennett
+ Olli Maatta, how do you not miss a beat after that layoff and life-altering event?

why?! Because they scored one goal in like 5 games?! They have looked like hot garbage together, just because one puck goes in a half a dozen games doesn't mean there is a "connections" there.

This is classic what have you done for me lately HF boards crap at its finest.

Sid has looked like BEYOND dog **** since horny was forced into a role with Malkin.

The top 6 is beyond broken and ****ed up!

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
why?! Because they scored one goal in like 5 games?! They have looked like hot garbage together, just because one puck goes in a half a dozen games doesn't mean there is a "connections" there.

This is classic what have you done for me lately HF boards crap at its finest.

Sid has looked like BEYOND dog **** since horny was forced into a role with Malkin.

The top 6 is beyond broken and ****ed up!

I guess you didn't read that this is a post game thread. In this game those guys looked good together.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Disagree. Last night I thought the Malkin line took over, and finally looked like the line we need. Of the three superstars, Malkin was the only one who played well last night. Crosby and Tavares both struggled. And both currently have line issues.

I didn't think the Malkin line was any good here in Montreal on Tuesday night, but last night they definitely were.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Glad someone else also had issues with his play.

He has been bad for a few games now. He needs his wingers to help but he also needs to shoot more and not try to expect others to do a lot. There was a part in the game when Kunitz was skating to the Blue line and Crosby saw him. He went to pass and he was a few seconds ahead and by the time Kunitz's mind had caught up the chance had gone.

Also, to be fair, we've had reduced PP time lately. He thrives in that.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
So done with Kunitz i can't wait until him being on this team is nothing but a not so fond memory.

Need more Hornqvists! Love that guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad