Post-Game Talk: Isles 5, Pens 4 (SO)

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Bennett played a great game. The piss poor effort in the 1st did them in. Be grateful for the loser point.

Zags91

Apr 19, 2007
Horrible game. With how bad the first period was, I'll take the point. Regroup for tomorrow night.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Really bad start, pretty good 2nd, eh 3rd, good OT. Nice going in coming back from behind, but man, that start.

Not impressed by Bortuzzo, at all. Bad game from him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They deserved to lose that and Fleury didn't deserve #300, maybe knowing it could be #300 was too much pressure.

Johnston needs to learn and adapt from this. Scuderi is still a problem unless he's being carried, the top 6 is still a problem and they can do better than Sill-G-Adams. Yes, bad decisions are catching up because they're bad decisions.

JR needs to get top 6 wingers, Kunitz might fetch one.

Zags91

Apr 19, 2007
Really bad start, pretty good 2nd, eh 3rd. Nice going in coming back from behind, but man, that start.

Not impressed by Bortuzzo, at all. Bad game from him.

That was his worst performance by far. Despres should get the start tomorrow.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
It was an awful game for us with shoddy goaltending and stupid lineup decisions. We still came back, which is nice.

I don't really care though, just makes me more curious about how we'll look tomorrow. Also, maybe we get a powerplay this time. That would be cool.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bennett played a great game. The piss poor effort in the 1st did them in. Be grateful for the loser point.

Yeah, I'm looking up and down that roster, and the only two guys who I feel somewhat comfortable saying didn't have an inept moment were Bennett and Maatta.

Think about this for a moment:

In the first period, Nikolai Kulemin danced Kris Letang. The Pens don't have a guy on the wing in the top six capable of that. The only guy who comes close to showing an ounce of creativity is Bennett. And, frankly, with all due respect to Horny, I love what Bennett is showing on the forecheck.

As for Maatta, the Pens have a total of 19.5M in cap money committed this season to Letang, Martin, Ehrhoff, and Scuderi, and I defy anyone to tell me that Maatta isn't the clear cut #1 on this team.

Michael8771*

We got better as the game went along and could have easily won. That said the Isles deserved to win. They floored us most of the 1st period.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I realize the start was awful but there was a good push back and they got a point out of it.

They also dominated in OT.

Hopefully MJ realizes that Scuds-Bort can't be a thing. Just had to see it first.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pretty fitting that MJ was trying to simulate this game as a playoff game, it was pretty similar to lots of pens playoff games, especially the play of MAF.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So the Bad (-)
- KUNITZ in slacker mode
- The top 2 lines for the first two periods
- Scuderi / Bortuzzo... just no
- No Despres
- Geno after the knee to knee
- No PP at all
- Fluery in the Shootout
- Having the Best third line in years and nothing else working

The good (+)

+ BB
+ Sutter
+ MAATTA
+ got a point

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
- Root. Errey was Doc Emrick-level annoying tonight. Fluffing up every Fleury save and trashing the opposing goalie mercilessly. Very unprofessional unless you are in the profession of propaganda.
- BortuScuds. Predictably awful pairing. Real bad.
- Refs. Lots of missed calls on both sides, but obviously missed every single penalty that the Islanders committed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They deserved to lose that and Fleury didn't deserve #300, maybe knowing it could be #300 was too much pressure.

Johnston needs to learn and adapt from this. Scuderi is still a problem unless he's being carried, the top 6 is still a problem and they can do better than Sill-G-Adams. Yes, bad decisions are catching up because they're bad decisions.

JR needs to get top 6 wingers, Kunitz might fetch one.

Kunitz won't fetch one, although he might fit one who is a better fit for the top six and plays like he gives a ****.

Look, end of the day, it's real simple . . . Pens need 2 wingers, and that's generously omitting that if a 3rd is added and Kunitz is deleted, then it would be a godsend to this team.

EDIT: I know. They're shaken by the Dupuis thing. I'm sure of that, and I'd be inclined to allow a little latitude there if it wasn't ALWAYS something. JR needs to have the balls to finish the one thing he failed to do this summer, taking care of Sid and Geno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad