GDT: Islanders Training Camp 2020-21 Season

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Call me skeptical that Trotz is fine with penciling in Aho/Hutton as the 7th defender and taxi squad blueliner. Sure, he seems to be fine with taking the reigns off Dobson; but that is still riding with basically a rookie and a "no longer spring chicken" full season of 38-year old Greene.

Perhaps Hickey gets moved because I have read little about him in this shortened camp except that he was the guy being sandwiched when CC supposedly got hurt. I wouldn't be shocked though if he is our #7.

Komarov being the one dealt today instead?

I all but had him penciled in on the roster as the sure bet to line up as the 4th line center if Cizikas is out awhile.

Still, Leo being put on waivers is a smart move although I doubt anyone claims him.....but it likely means taxi and a kid just made the team....

Reactions: Beacon Isles

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
31 Thoughts: Intriguing NHL futures bets for 2020–21 season - Sportsnet.ca

"Keith Yandle can’t catch Doug Jarvis’s consecutive games played streak (964) this season, but he’s got the longest active streak (866), and is fourth all-time. In this condensed, intense year, teams are going to need depth and he’s going to play, but, as we begin the season, the streak is clearly in jeopardy.

No one plays almost 10 years in a row without a ton of pride, a determination to go out there every night. Yandle wasn’t skating with the main group before Florida claimed Gustav Forsling and Noah Juulsen on waivers. He may work his way back into the lineup, but he’s not in the top six now.

Yandle has ultimate control over his situation with a no-move clause, so only he can decide if he’s willing to go elsewhere, but it’s very hard to move money right now. I’d heard there were some talks with the Islanders (Florida taking back money to ease New York’s cap crunch), but that obviously didn’t happen."

Interesting here. Maybe Lou was looking at a potential Leo/Hickey/Ladd (not all of them but perhaps one or two) for Yandle deal.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Not surprising, I expect him to spend a lot of time on the Taxi squad and get called up when needed in order to save us some cash

I thought Staples had posted something like that when camp opened.

I don't know how some of these guys will do with a compressed schedule.

Any update on Casey?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

"Keith Yandle can’t catch Doug Jarvis’s consecutive games played streak (964) this season, but he’s got the longest active streak (866), and is fourth all-time. In this condensed, intense year, teams are going to need depth and he’s going to play, but, as we begin the season, the streak is clearly in jeopardy.

No one plays almost 10 years in a row without a ton of pride, a determination to go out there every night. Yandle wasn’t skating with the main group before Florida claimed Gustav Forsling and Noah Juulsen on waivers. He may work his way back into the lineup, but he’s not in the top six now.

Yandle has ultimate control over his situation with a no-move clause, so only he can decide if he’s willing to go elsewhere, but it’s very hard to move money right now. I’d heard there were some talks with the Islanders (Florida taking back money to ease New York’s cap crunch), but that obviously didn’t happen."

Interesting here. Maybe Lou was looking at a potential Leo/Hickey/Ladd (not all of them but perhaps one or two) for Yandle deal.
I was wondering about him. If we were able to move the contracts it'd be good. I'm sure Leo has value to them for their forward corp and we have need for a PPQB.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Call me skeptical that Trotz is fine with penciling in Aho/Hutton as the 7th defender and taxi squad blueliner. Sure, he seems to be fine with taking the reigns off Dobson; but that is still riding with basically a rookie and a "no longer spring chicken" full season of 38-year old Greene.
This isn’t a full season. It’s a 56 game sprint. I counted 8 back-to-back games on the schedule. Maybe Greene gets 4 or 5 of those games off if he needs to keep fresh. So Greene for 51 games should be just fine.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
This isn’t a full season. It’s a 56 game sprint. I counted 8 back-to-back games on the schedule. Maybe Greene gets 4 or 5 of those games off if he needs to keep fresh. So Greene for 51 games should be just fine.

Hm. I counted 5. But maybe I'm wrong. I thought it was going to be WAY more, but maybe we lucked out with barely having to travel all year.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

The last thing we need is another bad contract for an overpriced , aging player with three more seasons to go on his deal - and with an NMC to boot.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Player interviews in a few

I'm not sure if he's basing this on something (as in something tangible that he's seen) or if he's simply making a throwaway comment that we all do on this site - its logical that Andy Greene would be a good mentor and I definitely see the rationale of having them play together. I'm just not sure if we've already seen the fruits of this pairing or if Compton is saying we will in the future...

Reactions: SI90 and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hm. I counted 5. But maybe I'm wrong. I thought it was going to be WAY more, but maybe we lucked out with barely having to travel all year.
I'll count again on a bigger screen. I was looking at the schedule on my phone. I certainly like 5 B2B's better than 8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad