Newsday: Islanders to play all playoff games at NVMC, and all home games in 2020-21 season

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Looks like Cuomo twisted Bettman's arm until it broke.

Yup. Verrryyy recently this guy is out there talking about how he's not sure about any round past round one, and having his doubts. Not even what, two months later, and we've got this announcement.

This, combined with quick progress at Belmont, means that the position of resisting further games at the Coliseum was untenable. Islanders ownership reminded Bettman that they're footing the bill.

Hahaha. Probably tired of getting dunked on.

Guy is unhinged. He also knew that he'd be @'d by a ton of people today, and when the going got tough, NYI Fan Central got going.

Reactions: periferal

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Wait, wait? So nooooow all of a sudden NBC has the stuff they need to telecasts games at the Coliseum during the playoffs? Hmmm, weird
Wasn’t that the “reason” we only played round one there last year?
Yes. I do wonder if they made any improvements in that area to make this a possibility. Also possible that it was a complete lie.
I seem to remember reading, on this board, that several million dollars had been put into upgrading the broadcast system. Specifically due to the islanders playing an increased number of games there this season.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Guy is unhinged. He also knew that he'd be @'d by a ton of people today, and when the going got tough, NYI Fan Central got going.
His website is still up though, and wouldn't you know it, latest post is one of his Dolan kook conspiracy theories.

Can we get a wellness check on Lord at War? :deadhorse

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Great news.
Kind of surprising after Bettnan's negative comments, about a full season at the Coliseum.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I seem to remember reading, on this board, that several million dollars had been put into upgrading the broadcast system.
Ah,you have explained why the league would suddenly be ok with a return.
Thanks

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Ah,you have explained why the league would suddenly be ok with a return.
Thanks
I found this. Doesn’t say it was completed, but I’d have to assume it was if the NHL is allowing them to return there full time.

“The renovation, meant to bring the county-owned arena up to National Hockey League standards, includes improvements to the facility’s ice rink equipment, upgrades to its heating and air conditioning systems, renovation of the locker room, and the installation of video-cable infrastructure.”

www.newsday.com/amp/business/islanders-coliseum-ida-tax-breaks-1.19310968

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
The money that had to be put into the Coliseum after the reno was because the Einstein's who did it did not upgrade broadcast transmission lines and the like. That was part of the 10 mil the NHL required for the Isles to come back. Since then no more money has gone into it.

The whole cluster F with NVMC had nothing more to do with than Betteman's ego. He knew early on Brooklyn was a failure and his refusal to admit he blew it with the Town of Hempstead was the only real reason behind the Isles not being at NVMC all of last season , thru the playoffs and all of this season.

After what happened in the second round last year, combined with DeHann's comments about being relived they didn't have to play in NVMC, more than likely caused Ledeky and Malkin to tell Betteman we don't give a f about your ego were coming back.

Yes, Bettemans spin people have their hands full with this one. You can't come out and say an arena is not NHL worthy and allow an NHL team to play the bulk of their home schedule and a playoff round in the same building you deemed not NHL caliber.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I found this. Doesn’t say it was completed, but I’d have to assume it was if the NHL is allowing them to return there full time.

“The renovation, meant to bring the county-owned arena up to National Hockey League standards, includes improvements to the facility’s ice rink equipment, upgrades to its heating and air conditioning systems, renovation of the locker room, and the installation of video-cable infrastructure.”

www.newsday.com/amp/business/islanders-coliseum-ida-tax-breaks-1.19310968
I know isles fans have speculated about the Sound Tigers moving to the arena and some NYR fans speculated about the Wolfpack moving from Hartford to play in the Coliseum.
Gonna be interesting to see if the arena owners try to land either team.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Per the Isles and the NHL, NVMC was not a major league facility prior to Belmont ground-breaking. But now that the arena construction is getting pretty far along and it's too late to back out, NVMC is okay. I'm fine with that.

And I hold no grudge against Bettman and assume we should probably be appreciative of him. He says what he has to say in public. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. But after Wang/D'Amato, SMG, Nassau County, the TOH, the referendum, Brooklyn, etc., we're a season and change away from moving into our very own, team-owned, state of the art arena. That didn't just happen by chance, and some serious strings had to be pulled to make it happen. I'll assume Bettman did some positive things along the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad