Islanders' Strome Fighting For A Job

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
strome isnt competing with hilbert. there are currently five better centers on the roster: tavares, grabovski, nielsen, nelson and cizikas. nelson came to camp eady to play, this guy didnt. days of guys earning roster spot automatically based on their draft position are long gone.

Conacher and Brennan were both handed one-way deals and presumed spots on the roster before they earned it.

I don't see how those signings are an different than the days of Hilbert, Regin, etc.

The NHL castoffs have always been held to a lower standard than the rookies.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Conacher and Brennan were both handed one-way deals and presumed spots on the roster before they earned it.

I don't see how those signings are an different than the days of Hilbert, Regin, etc.

The NHL castoffs have always been held to a lower standard than the rookies.

Darth really nailed this for me. Perhaps I'm not seeing things clearly, but my judgment is very clouded by my Andy Hilbert memories. Snow/Nolan/Gordon inexplicably loved that dude, it drove me crazy.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Actually no. We're not back to the Nino arguement.

Nino had proven squat in the NHL prior to being handed a full-time spot.

Strome on the other hand has already shown that he can contribute in the NHL....even with weak line-mates.

Ryan Strome has played 37 NHL games. I don't think he's quite proven squat either. He's certainly fared better than Nino at similar points in their careers, but 37 games isn't even half a NHL season. And he will play with the Isles at some point this season. He's not being banished to Bridgeport forever.

Not to mention the fact that we don't even know for a fact that he will be sent down! Maybe we should save the outrage for when it actually occurs, IF it actually occurs.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Ryan Strome deserves to make this team. He has torn up every level of competition he has ever faced. He is better than Cory Conacher. How is playing time even a problem for him? I don't even want to post the lines because it will make me sick to look back and see what could of been. Who are our centers as of now?

Tavares
Grabovski
Nielsen
Cizikas

Who are our wingers?
Okposo
Conacher
Kulemin
Nelson
Bailey
Grabber
Lee
Martin
Clutterbuck

On that wingers list I would only take Okposo, Nelson, and Lee over him at this point. Lee might not be more skilled but he is EXACTLY what this team needs.

Does he have enough meetings yets to be NHL eligible?

Last edited:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Ryan Strome has played 37 NHL games. I don't think he's quite proven squat either. He's certainly fared better than Nino at similar points in their careers, but 37 games isn't even half a NHL season. And he will play with the Isles at some point this season. He's not being banished to Bridgeport forever.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think Strome is ready. Not only ready, but a better option than some guys who have allegedly already been penciled into the line up.

Same can be said for Lee.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO

Not to mention the fact that we don't even know for a fact that he will be sent down! Maybe we should save the outrage for when it actually occurs, IF it actually occurs.

I'm just going to delete what I was typing and do this: :handclap:

I really wish I had a list handy of the average age prospects for teams like New Jersey (of yesteryear), Boston, LA and Anaheim go from getting NHL time in short amounts to getting in full-time.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think Strome is ready. Not only ready, but a better option than some guys who have allegedly already been penciled into the line up.

Same can be said for Lee.

Unless there are more injuries or there's a trade, I think one of Lee and Strome make the club to start the season. I have a feeling it's Lee, but prior to camp starting most of us thought it would be Strome. I think their respective play has made all the difference.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Ryan Strome deserves to make this team. He has torn up every level of competition he has ever faced. He is better than Cory Conacher. How is playing time even a problem for him? I don't even want to post the lines because it will make me sick to look back and see what could of been. Who are our centers as of now?

Tavares
Grabovski
Nielsen
Cizikas

Who are our wingers?
Okposo
Conacher
Kulemin
Nelson
Bailey
Grabber
Lee
Martin

On that wingers list I would only take Okposo, Nelson, and Lee over him at this point. Lee might not be more skilled but he is EXACTLY what this team needs.

Does he have enough meetings yets to be NHL eligible?

These lists and lineups always forget the Clutterstache for some reason.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006

He's played 37 games because of the iiodt Isles management..how else will heplay games if they don't allow him to?

People are surprised by this administration team the Isles have? What a crime

Conacher has not business being an NHLer...

Throw a tent on this circus

MilanKraft*

Bunch of losers making the team over strome based on a few exhibition games....

Conacher is left over garbage that no one wants...

MilanKraft*

Kumelin sucks..this ain't 2010
Not sure why people are excited with these FA signings.
Waste of money. Waste of ice time.

I'm sure Strome would have trouble putting up 25 points in 80 games like these legit nhlers. ...

Islanders will suck anyway so develop your draftees...

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Your entitled to your opinion as I am mine. I will not bash your response as you did my comment. Why you believe you can not possibly be wrong is beyond normal argument anyway. I wont waste any effort with that, time will tell we can revisit this later in the year.

I bashed your comment, and with ferocity only because you are not the only one to make that argument. So don't take my comments to be directed at you with full force. Really they are directed at everyone who has ever made that argument (there are quite a few).

Not only is it possible I could be wrong, but I hope I am for our team's sake. Why would I hold an opinion that I think I could be wrong on??? Of course I feel it's the right opinion. Welcome to the boards, but that last part makes no sense.

Yes, we will revisit it in a year....but will the argument change to he's only 25? I had this debate on year three, then year four, then year 5. When does the madness end?

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
I've just read through all the posts since my last comment (sorry work got in the way, and by the way that OT section on Bailey was unexpected!) and here is my problem.

Strome is on the outside looking in because of centre depth right? I think we can all agree on that. (BTW I am not knocking the Grabovski signing, I liked it.)

So imagine Strome goes to the AHL and we get an injury at centre so he gets called up. Who moves to centre? I'm guessing not Strome, probably Nelson because he has been up longer, bigger body down the middle etc and I'm not saying I disagree with that decision really...

Which of course leaves Strome playing wing right? And here is my problem.

IF Strome is going to get called up on an injury, chances are (8 wingers vs 4 centres) it will be a wing injury, so he plays wing. But if it is an injury at centre I expect he plays wing anyway. So where is the value in keeping him off the NHL roster on the basis that he shouldn't be playing wing?

Pre-season is short and should be put in the context of previous play and contribution to the team and Stromes was strong on his second call up. Sending him down now still feels like he is being shafted just because he is waiver eligible. I know this flexibility is good for the team but it doesn't stop me feeling bad for him.

As has been mentioned, there are some serious roster decisions coming up over the next year and it is my lack of confidence in the coaching staff that makes me nervous about how players are being handled.

EDIT: And another thought, we have most of our centres under contract for a few years so won't we just be having this conversation next year too if Strome isn't asked to play wing at some point this season? I'd prefer him at centre but someone has to move eventually for that to happen.

Last edited:

BroadwayJay*

Isn't Cizikas suffering from some kind of injury right now?

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Kumelin sucks..this ain't 2010
Not sure why people are excited with these FA signings.
Waste of money. Waste of ice time.

I'm sure Strome would have trouble putting up 25 points in 80 games like these legit nhlers. ...

Islanders will suck anyway so develop your draftees...

LOL yea right! I would take Kulemin all day every day over Strome as a winger as of right now.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Strome centered Grabovski and Kulemin towards the end of the game last night, it's going to be a very interesting cuts process.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Strome centered Grabovski and Kulemin towards the end of the game last night, it's going to be a very interesting cuts process.

Were you there? If not, could someone tell us how they thought it looked?

BroadwayJay*

I was. I don't remember though, so it couldn't have been that great.

Strome and Grabovsky were both great, I remember that.

Strome was completeld robbed by Schneider at one point (so was Bailey) and he posted another one (and posted one in the shootout.)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I was not there, I was going off this.

Arthur Staple @StapeNewsday · 14h
1-1 here in Newark, 5:20 left in 3rd. Shots are 20-14 #Isles; Capuano has juggled lines, 12-51-89 and 84-18-86 pretty effective.

Here are some Strome quotes...

Strome: "My first 2 games weren't where they needed to be and I had a good talk with the coaches. My last 2 games I felt a lot better...

Strome: "... and I think the coaches might feel the same way. You never think you need a talk, but maybe it was what I needed to hear."

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday?lang=en

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad